Sign in to follow this  
Guest Russki Bear

Freeware image editors

Guest Russki Bear

G'day guys.I need some more help. I would like to know if anyone can recommend a freeware image editor. The tutorial I was given a link for mentions FlyGraphics, but the website appears to be down, and I don't know if it is freeware or not.Thanks again!

Guest Chris Wallace

FlyGraphics is not an image editor, it is an interactive converter between the various proprietary Fly! image file formats (RAW/ACT, PBM, PBG etc) and standard file formats like BMP, JPG, etc. Check out the Gimp at www.gimp.org. It is a free open-source image editor that has a bit of a learning curve but is very full-featured.Chris WallaceOttawa, Canada

Guest Russki Bear

OK thanks. I'll check it out. I would buy PSP 9 or something, but when it is ~ $140 AU from JASC if you live in a ordering region (north america, UK....) but $270 AU from almost all retailers in Australia which isn't one of those regions, it just seems like too much of a disparity...Russki Bear

Guest Chris Wallace

I know what you mean Bear, I'm sure it's not as bad as Oz but here in Canada we often get stuck with unreasonable pricing for various products compared to our nearby neighbours to the south. But Gimp is completely free, no strings, no catches, and is at least as capable as PSP or the lite versions of Photoshop...good luck.Chris WallaceOttawa, Canada

Guest Russki Bear

Yah. I should have checked GNU stuff. I am perfectly aware of them being a user of Cygwin and GCC for my last few semesters of uni. Thefts from labs had caused the uni to heavily restrict access to some areas, including Unix labs so I used Cygwin at home and fixed it all up on Unix poper at uni (it seemed to be more forgiving of bad memory management than a Unix PC is).Thanks again.Russki Bear