Sign in to follow this  
Guest chezz

fly2lan question

Guest tonyc

I am trying to connect two home computers with fly2lan. I currently have a home network in which all computers are connected to the internet via a router which is then connected to a cable modem.Does anyone know how to setup a second computer which uses the router but acts stricly as a client to my computer for fly2lan purposes. My computer uses win xp, while the client pc runs on win98. I am totally lost.tony

Guest laurentC

Hi Tony,I had fly2lan installed some time ago with direct connection between a XP and a laptop W98. I just launch fly! first with the "server" PC then fly2lan on the laptop, then fly! No settings at all as far as I can remember ... unfortunally I can't test the LAN nowadays... my laptop is full of data ... sorrylaurentC

Guest tonyc

Hi, Laurent. My questions are:1. Does FLY2 have to be in exactly the same pathfolder in both computers? 2. Do the computers require a direct, physical crosswire connection?My current setup is all home computers are connected to a router. These computers can share data. Is this acceptable to fly2lan?tony

Guest laurentC

My computers were directly connected but I think this is not mandatory and the Luis Balarin's actual design was to use it in a lan (then with a router).Neither I think both fly! have to be installed in the same path/folder.If you installed correctly the dlls (one for the server, one for the client), you cant try two things :- launch first the server side then after a while the client side- modify the fly.ini (maybe the default port is still in use)From the instructions ...[fly2lan]Port=8000 Default. Just in case, you might change this make sure to use a value above 4000 (I think)debug=0 '1' On the server displays the info its sending, and on client the info is receiving.debug_noprocess=0 '1' it will not process any info the client is receiving. (Client only)debug_nosend=0 '1' it will not send any info to the client. (Server Only)HidePanel=1 '0' will leave the panels for display. (Client only)Cheers,laurentC

Guest dajackman

I thought fly2lan was only for fly1. Will this work on FlyII??? If so I wanna try.....

Guest laurentC

Hi all,Take a look at the library : it's a Fly!II feature ... now that many of us have almost two computers at home (home LAN : XP make it easy now) we don't have any serious reason to fly! with only a view, eh, eh !!!I had to remove the Fly! version from my old laptop to save space, but when I tried the Luis Balarin's LAN it was amazing ... really deserves a try !Cheers,laurent

Guest chezz

Laurent,can you post a screen shot please.I am also contemplating on flying with LAN.thankschris_CA

Guest tonyc

Well, Laurent. I have the two computers talking to each other. I simply cannot get FLY2lan to work. I suspect that the FLY ini entries and my lack of understanding might be responsible. What is port=8000? Why not port= 10000 or another number? too bad. I have a second computer and may never experience the pleasure of Lan for Fly.tony

Guest laurentC

Hi all,My two computers aren't still connected to Fly! because I needed more place in a small hard disk. Then I can't post pictures ... but I can say I tested it some time ago and it worked fine with a direct connection ... cheers,laurent

Guest laurentC

... Hum ... maybe try a direct connection between the computers in place of a router.Just be careful of the wire type because direct connection needs wires different from those used with routers. My coonection was of direct type but I didn't let Windows choose the address IP for me and I forced addresses of my choice.Note that I made the try when XP was in first release (no service pack yet) ... and since the SR2 I experiment some problems with the connections and the firewall protections and other things like that ...Sorry, I'm not skilled enough to help ...But it's weird I'm the only one around that have experimented the dll ... !Cheers,laurentC

Guest laurentC

Tony,Maybe you want to try also two unfinished programs I made for the LAN :flynet.zip andflynetnavaid.zipin the AVSIM library. They could be used to set your LAN ... ?Cheers,laurent

Guest tonyc

Good idea, Laurent. I'll let you know what I come up with.tony