Sign in to follow this  
Guest Fly II Pilot

Past the next milestone

Guest Skyhawk99J

I've stayed in contact with some of you in the Fly! community for the last several years (has it been that long?) so I thought I'd share my recent accomplishment. Last Friday I passed my instrument checkride! All along the way, I've used Fly!2 to work on my procedures when the weather was too poor to fly outside. My story then starts in 2000 when I anxiously awaited the original Fly!. In 2002 I started my flight training, but had to quit when I lost my job. Then in July of 2003 I got started again and got my private that November. A year ago, my flight school needed a new 172S and I had the great fortune of being able to pick up 2099J and put it on the flight line. I finished my instrument rating in a little over 8 months and now I can finally spend some time flying without a hood on.All that to say that I know we all share the same passion for flying (real or simulated) and I hope we can continue to do so with Fly!2 - the only sim that really gives me the feel of being in 99J. I've attached some of my favorite pics of flying in the Rockies.

Guest Shalomar

Donny AKA ShalomarFly 2 ROCKS!!!CONGRATULATIONS! I have a few hours of real world instruction but I turned to Remote Control and Virtual flying for financial reasons. FLY 2 is my fave sim though I have tried FS9 so I am unbiased. Just a few days ago I did a virtual cross country fron LXV in Colorado to Meigs (can't do that in real life anymore!) then my "home" airport of KABE in PA. I have heard it said if you learn to fly in Colorado you can fly ANYWHERE! (Must be really tough learning IFR while avoiding Cumulus Granitus) I am really happy ROTW just released a DVD that updates FLY 2, my copy is on the way from France. You are right that our love of flight unites us. Beautiful pictures you posted, people who have never been in a 172 can see there isn't much difference in the panel from FLY 2. I have one question since you have real world experience: Do the gyros in a Cessna run off both electricity AND vaccuum or just one or the other? I seem to remember the gyros spooling up when the master switch was energised but someone told me I was just hearing the turn coordinator which is powered by electricity. Do dual source gyros exist and if so are they standard or optional equipment? Thanx.Best regards and further CONGRATULATIONS!!!:-wave

Guest Skyhawk99J

I can't say if dual source gyros exist, but I can say that only the turn coordinator is electric in the 172 I fly. The attitude indicator and directional gyro are vacuum powered off the engine. If I have an electrical failure, I may not be able to talk to anyone, but at least I'll know which way is up! Flying in Colorado is a challenge. My home airport (Jeffco) is at 5670 and with the heat, the density altitude is often around 8,000 ft. The winds come whipping off the foothills so I get a lot of x-wind landing practice. What I won't get is a lot of actual IFR experience. If its cloudy I'm either worried about thunderstorms or icing. Glad to hear someone else shares the passion!

Guest Skyhawk99J

By the project I was working on, I assume you mean the Lancair? I've attached a pic of the furthest I've gotten on the panel. I've loved working on this project, but always seem to get behind. I do well with the graphics and 3D modeling but get stuck on some of the behind the scenes work on the gauges and avionics. I also need to do some work on the flight model. I would love to keep working on it, but we'll see. Maybe with some help? This panel is the perfect candidate for the new ROTW GPS displays.