Sign in to follow this  
Mike Gezing

Polar Circumnavigation

Guest Shalomar

Donny AKA ShalomarFly 2 ROCKS!!!I have thought for a while about doing a virtual polar circumnavigation in a Piper Malibu. The longest required leg looks like Mcmurdo to NZNV, slightly less than two thousand miles. The biggest obstacle is creating a cabin fuel tank. I suppose just increasing the size of the fuel collector would adversly affect CG. Admundsen Station at the South pole has a runway but it is not in Fly 2, I might just land as best I can or just refuel in midair but neither would be realistic. My plane of choice would be the Dragonfly, not cuz I like the paint job (don't) but it performs better. I seem to remember FF being higher, the Sahara may be better after I fix the magnetos. This would simulate an actual attempt started a few years ago. No single engine piston plane had ever done a RTW polar route before. Last I heard those guys were hangared at the south pole for the winter, maybe it STILL hasn't been done in real life. I haven't crunched ALL the numbers yet but my projected payload is 471 pounds (me, brother and survival gear) That means my cabin fuel tank should be 115 gallons to leave me a slight margin under gross. Any suggestions how to go about it? (I will do some test flights to see if that fuel load is sufficient or if I should put my bro on a diet.)Best Regards, Donny:-wave

Guest Eagle

Several pilots have made such a trip in a single engine. Do a search thru one of the engines and you should find the information that you need.I started such a project some time ago. Have it somewhere and if I can find it I will continue if there is an interest for a round the world trip.

Guest Shalomar

Donny AKA ShalomarFly 2 ROCKS!!!Alex, I will see about that .GAS file in a few days. Knowing me I will have further questions. So this tank will feed the left or right tank or can it be plumbed to the collector? I want to support Avsim in the race even though it means flying with the "enemy" FS9. I got FS9 months ago in a fit of frustration with lingering FLY 2 problems I was having but ironically I had to upgrade to DirectX 9 to use FS9 which eliminated all my problems. As a result I have to do a rush (don't say crash) course to get familiar with FS9 to be useful in the race. They do make it convenient to get real world weather with updates but the panels are AWFUL and engine start procedures are a joke. The GPS has an airport database inc ILS freqs but I just barely figured out how to set a direct to waypoint so far. Our GPS is SO much easier though I wish the OBS, ALT and CAL features worked. (Microsoft came up with an elegant solution, their Garmin doesn't HAVE cal or OBS apparently.)Wayne, would Google do? Are you refering to virtual or real world pilots? Any interest in creating Amundsen Station's runway at the South Pole? I won't be doing it for a while, I want to get real world weather with updates set up for FLY 2 and figure out how to set FLY 2 up for VATSIM. Does just Squawkbox do the trick to be ready for vatsim AND have real weather?Thanx.:-wave