Sign in to follow this  
flyfisher

Wayne's Hobart YMHB

Have installed Wayne's Hobart YMHB and find the taxiways end short of the runway.Anybody also have this problem?Could it relate the D Vickers Aust-Dex files?Thanks,

G'day Flyfisher,Do you mean that there is a gap at the junction of the taxiway and the runway or are you aluding to the great design of some Aussie airports where the taxiways are not the full length of the runways (which is normal for many Aussie airports)A captain in a 747 up at Cairns did a right turn instead of a left turn and found himself facing the dead end of the runway and unable to do a U-turn. Had to call for assistance from the push back tug. :-)The attached pics depict Danny Vickers Hobart airport and are correct.There is a 910 metre leg one end and a 571 metre leg the other end.Cheers,Roger

Guest Eagle

Roger is correct in that the taxiway does not go all the way to the end of the runway. Most of the Australian airports are like that which must make flying into and out of them very interesting.I have taken the liberty of extending some of the taxiways further than the airport diagram shows. But, that is what happens when you are the person doing the scenery. I try not to get carried away with changes too much. Surprised I haven't heard more from you Australia people.

Flyfisher,One of your data bases is one very sick puppy. From your pics it's difficult to tell exactly where you are on the airport. Either your runways are off alignment or the taxiways are out. I'm using Danny Vickers Aussie airports so I don't think that's your problem. Could you land your aircraft on runway 30 and turn left at first taxiway. Stop your aircraft in the same position as I have in the attached pic. Enter the editor and check your latitude and longitude against mine. If they are the same then your runways are correct and taxiways incorrect. If they are sustantially different then the runways are incorrect. Continue until you meet your taxiway. Now check the latitude and longitude. They should be the same which confirms that the taxiways are correct.What the above does is confirms what is right and what is wrong.Making the corrections...... thats another story. Randalls the guru.I still haven't got around to fixing my own navigation ILS database.My latitude and longitude - just in case you can't read the pic in the post.LAT 42 50 16.6692LONG 147 30 49.7791Cheers,Roger

Guest Eagle

Flyfisher, there is definitely something wrong. I tried a library search to find the Danny Vickers scenery, but was not able to locate it.Perhaps Roger can tell us the download no., or it may not be available any longer. If you can get Danny's scenery you may want to install it and see what happens.The scenery I have done for Australia is based on the default scenery without any modification.Let us know what happens as I am interested in what is causing the problem.

I'm going to hazard a guess that the Vicker's scenery is correct. Wayne's scenery matches the default runway placement, so... it doesn't match Danny's placement and you therefore have alignment issues.

Randall Rocke

G'day Randall,That's not just a guess, but a well informed, logically reasoned, conclusion. I'd say you are 100% correct! :-) Why can't I think like that instead of flying off on a tangent all the time. :-lolThanks for sorting out the problem.Cheers,Roger

Wayne,Danny's updates are in the File Library under Fly!II - Navigation. You will find them listed as Australian Database Update Version 1.10 - the file is aust_dex110.zip.There were many errors in the default airport and runway placements - Danny corrected them and also updated the ILS approaches and navaids. It's a nice package - anyone who spends much time flying in Australia has this update installed. To get the most out of any airport scenery, I would recommend installing the Vickers updates first. Then, move your scenery components (taxiways, buildings, tarmacs, etc.) to match where adjustments are needed.After you make corrected versions, simply recommend that people install Danny's updates first as a prerequisite for using your Australian sceneries, then everyone will have the best of both worlds.

Randall Rocke

G'day Randall,The "Australian Database Update version 1.10" (125Kb) is just the navigation update. Danny fixed up all the runway, ILS, and waypoint locations.Just prior to his joining the RAAF he had produced Taxiways for ALL Australian Airports (approx 300 from memory)using data from the enroute supplement. - Taxiaust.pod (5.4 Mb). I was involved in basically populating the A-K airports and Danny was going to do L-Z airports. I don't think that file was uploaded to Avsim.I'll try and contact him.Cheers,Roger,

Hello Roger,As I understand it, a large portion of the 110 update included runway corrections. If Danny moved these runways, wouldn't there be alignment issues with any taxiways or scenery based on the defaults?

Randall Rocke

Guest Eagle

Roger sent me dex files and taxiway files that he had and which Danny Vickers had done. I applied those changes to my FlyII program and found that all my scenery for Australia had changed. I expect that is why Flyfisher is having a taxiway alignment problem.This is very discouraging as I had invested a lot of time in creating airport scenery. I expect that I will stop making airport scenery and apply my time to some other project.

Wayne,First of all, your scenery development has been nothing short of astonishing, and has greatly enhanced the Fly!II world for all of us - we really, really appreciate it!Before you you despair of your Australia creation work, you may be able to simply reset the position of your existing scenery elements within TM to match Danny's updates. If the taxiways are available at Avsim, you could replace your taxiway sets with theirs. If some taxiways are not generally available, then your taxiway set for that airport could also be realigned in Taxiway to the corrected runway position. The updated scenery sets could be called version 2 for those that have installed the appropriate updates, etc.Regardless, you shouldn't have to start from scratch as you have already done the majority of the work. Of course, you can simply say "enough!" and do something else. :-)

Randall Rocke

G'day Randall,Yes, any default (incorrect) runway would have alignment problems and thats what flyfisher is experiencing. As you pointed out Flyfisher is using Danny's modified runways but Waynes been using the default. ergo there is an alignment problem.But just Wayne using the dex files may not cure the problem. The dex files may move the runway but do they move the taxiways as well?? ( here I go flying off at a tangent again :-) )Sure the runways would now be in the correct position But he would still be using the default taxiways ( incorrect)Danny produced a taxiaust.pod (5.4 Mb - I have a copy) which has taxiways for ALL australian airports - it was a sizeable undertaking.I don't believe taxiaust.pod was ever uploaded. Using Terramodels we were going to populate all airports so that no matter where in Aus you fly to there wouldn't be just a barren airport awaiting you. I was going to populate the A-K's and Danny was going to populate the L-Z's.Unfortunately Danny joined the RAAF and drifted away from simming on Fly! II before the project was finished.I have just had an email to Danny seeking to get approval to upload taxiaust.pod to the Avsim library returned as "invalid address" so I don't know how to get in contact with him.There is a DannyV listed in the Avsim user profiles that I have emailed but as yet have not received a reply ( it may not be the Danny Vickers in question),Cheers,Rogerps: In the meantime if anyone is interested in australian airports then email me.

Roger,I think these are all of the possibilities:a. If Danny was successful in making new taxiways and they were to be made available, then Wayne could remove his from the scenery package.b.If a runway was moved and had no taxiways, taxiways produced after the DEX import would align properly.c. If a new taxiway set was made for the default and the creator kept his TXP file, then the taxiways project for that airport could be reloaded in the program and repositioned.d. Finally, if the airport taxiways existed in Fly!II before the runway was moved, then indeed, they will now be out of position. At this point, a new set could be constructed and given a load factor that gave it priority over the original.

Randall Rocke