Sign in to follow this  
flyfisher

Wayne's Hobart YMHB

Roger,Wayne and Randall,I enclose a screenshot using the editor with the mouse 'X' at the top of the screen and the fixed 'X' in the centre.The former has the coordinates 42 50 16.6883, 147 30 49.7568.The latter 42 50 26.2969 and 147 30 50.5900.Ian

Correct - the taxiways by Wayne would use the airport center as a coordinate for position. With the runway moved by Danny, you can now see the offset. The taxiways are still in their original position, relative to the center coordinates, but the runway itself has moved.

Randall Rocke

G'day Flyfisher,Yep you have applied Danny Vickers dex file and moved the runway away from it's default position.The centre red X is still in the default position, It should be approxLAT 42 50 16.6692LONG 147 30 49.7911I can email you the aust taxiways pod if you like which will move the taxiway to it's correct position. This will unfortunately leave behind all of Waynes models out of alignment.However if I understand Randall correctly this may perhaps be corrected by a simple offset being included in the terramodels files.Cheers,Roger @YSSY

G'day Wayne,I'm sorry that it didn't occur to me that you were using the default airports. Unfortunately the Aussie default runways/taxiways are not accurate. The default Sydney is an absolute nightmare!I know it's discouraging to see ones work not quite right but if Randal's correct ( and most of the time he's spot on ) it may only require a simple offset to be applied to the terramodels files. I hope such is the case as I wouldn't like to see you give up your passion over this setback. The file taxiaust.pod is not available in the Library. Until it is I think it might be prudent to delay (not cancel) doing any further work on Aussie airports. I'm trying to contact Danny to get his permission to upload it. Not having much luck. I might try the other sim forum.Cheers,Roger

G'day Randall, Danny did make/alter taxiways for ALL Australian airports contained in a file taxiaust.podI do hope that Wayne is able to add some form of offset to align his work up with Danny's taxiways/runways. Each airport will have it's unique offset.I'm not having much luck contacting Danny. My email was returned address unknown.Cheers,Roger

Roger,Here's an idea I'd like to try...1. Look up the airport center coordinates in the DB2. Look up the original runway endpoint coordinates3. Look up the new coordinate endpoints created when Danny moved the runway(s)4. Using Colin's Fly! Distance-Calculator, I would ascertain the exact amount of movement/heading to estimate the change from airport center5. Apply this change to the airport coordinates and edit the airport DB to create a new airport centerAfter the DEX was imported, I would place Wayne's taxiway to see if it now aligned properly, or use his TXP file to open his taxiway files for repositioning.It's also possible that a new center position, if applied to Wayne's TM file for the airport, may instantly realign all the models. If not, then reopening the TM file after applying Danny's updates would allow for some fairly easy repositioning of the existing models. Testing this would require that Wayne send me his original TM file for the airport.The one possible downside to the "instant fix" DEX would be that your's and Danny's taxiways may be knocked out of place, but if that was the case, then Wayne's would be correct.

Randall Rocke

G'day Randall,I have an idea!! :-)I have the txp's for all the airports of Danny's that I was populating. Can you determine the airport center from the Txp for Hobart if I send it to you.? - might save you a bit of maths and mucking around.As I am way out of my depth now Randall I'll zip up all I have on Aussie airports and email it to you to sort through. Maybe it may be of help to you.Cheers,Roger

Guest Eagle

Thanks to all who have had input on this subject. I have applied the taxiway files by Danny and the results are not good. The taxiways that I have previously done are out of alignment and in some instances housing and airplanes are now located on the runways and taxiways.I have some of the TM files, but I usually delete those after publishing the airport scenery.At the present time I have stopped doing scenery and may not start again. Other projects are starting to consume my time and will probably prevent me from returning to Fly.

Guest Fly II Pilot

Wayne,I'm really sorry to hear that you have stopped developing scenery and, most importantly, that you may not return to Fly!I wish you all the best with your other projects and I want to thank you for all the outstanding work that you've done for us, the Fly! community.I hope that you can stop by, at least from time to time, and that we can get together in virtual flights and other activities.Stay in touch!Best regards,http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/banneraa.jpg

I echo Alex's sentiments, Wayne. It would be shame to see you depart the Fly! community, but can understand. I wish to personally thank you for all your efforts with Seawind's water landing. Without your help and efforts, she'd still be "land-locked" and unable to even make water landings! Until we get the rest of her systems and engine in order, she remains in Alpha stage. But all your efforts are greatly appreciated - both in the Seawind's work and the scenery that populates many airports in my Fly! II Setup. Thanks so much!!!Best to you in all your endeavors!Ken Wood :-sun1http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/bannernewkw.jpgGateway 700X; Intel P4 2.4GHz; 512MB RAM; NVIDIA Ti4200 4X AGP 128MB; SB Audigy; Thrustmaster TopGun Fox 2 Pro Shock

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

Wayne,Like others I am sorry to hear the news that you will be no longer adding to the huge contribution you have already made to Fly.Good luck with your new projects and thank you for all your addons.:-wave

Guest danieletona

Wayne,I am saddened for this news. ;( Wishes for your new projects andT H A N K S !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Dan

Guest desmondw

Hi Wayne, I am also very sorry to hear you may not be doing any more Airports for us but I would like to Thankyou so much for all the time you have put into FLY & all the fun you have given to us through your superb airports & wish you all the very best with your future endeavor's.Desmond

Ok everyone - here's the scoop on the mismatches btwn Danny's DB updates and Wayne's scenery projects as applied to the original Australian airports.1. The movement of runways in Danny's corrections indeed created a mismatch for Wayne's creations. His taxiways and scenery objects end up in the wrong place, if the end-user has run Danny's DB update DEX files first.2. Though I could open a "visual" tms display in Taxiways of Wayne's Hobart taxiway set, I could not open the taxiway files themselves for editing. The difference from airport center was so great (over 200 feet!), that the Taxiway program couldn't handle it. So here are people's choices:--a. If you don't install Danny's DB updates, then Wayne's taxiway's and airport objects line up just fine.--b. If you do use the update package, then Wayne's sceneries can't be used. However, proper taxiways were made for all of these adjusted Australian airports, and I would hope we can get that POD posted to the Avsim File Library in the near future.3. I did experiment with Wayne's Hobart scenery objects in TM, to see if there were any way to instantly adapt the scenery to the new (and proper) runway positions. Because I didn't have some of the original project files, it didn't allow me to do this. Also, each object would have to be moved individually, as the program has no global readadjustment capability for all objects.I would highly recommend that the designers of these wonderful programs (Taxiway and TerraModels) consider updating the programs to allow moving all objects globally based on a set distance and direction. This would save a lot of heartache in situations like this and would allow for scenery adjustments after DB corrections or additions.

Randall Rocke

Guest HeliFLYer

Hi Wayne,I just dropped into this discussion by chance as I did not realize how serious (and unlucky) the problem under "Wayne's Hobart YMHB" developped.At last I am very sad to hear that you stopped your work for the FLY! community. To be honest, your work got a big value for me since you designed those Danish Airports because I know the country and those regions very well (and as an European I don't FLY! so much the USA).Therefore I am a little selfish when I hope that there might be a little chance that you take up your work in the future - but on the other side I see that interests and values change in life and one should get as much personal profit (= positive emotions, NOT money!) out of his sparetime as he can! That is why I want to say "Auf Wiedersehen" what has the meaning of "wish we'll meet again sometime in the future" and with all my heart I want to thank you once again "Vielen Dank, mein FLY!-Freund Wayne!".RegardsGeorg HeliFLYer EDDW