Sign in to follow this  
Guest chezz

directx error

Chris,The first thing I would do is reinstall or upgrade DirectX. If that doesn't work, reinstall your video drivers, followed by another reinstall of DirectX.If neither of those approaches solve the problem, a portion of your video card may be dying.

Randall Rocke

G'day Chris,I have not answered quickly as I don't use Win XP and I thought that others that do may have a simple fix, or at least a better informed opinion.From your post it appears that some part of directX installation is being corrupted (in memory - because on reboot everthings OK again) after about 30 minutes of running Fly! II. Thus the device is lost to the operating system. Can you remember if the problem started occuring after recently adding third party ( or even some of your own :-) ) add-ons.Does the problem always occur in the same scenery/aircraft use. You could try removing add-ons one by one and seeing if you can locate the cause of the fault.To eliminate any hardware possibilities make a new installation of Fly! II. (if you have the space on your hard drive).I had to do this for the Jabiru. For some reason the Jabiru crashes my main installation of Fly! II yet runs as happy as Larry on the fresh clean installation. I'm still chasing the cause. I was pleasantly suprised at how easy the process was. It literally only takes about 10 minutes. The two patches to get up to vers. 2.5.240 only took about 10 secs each.Just remember to MUTE the sound before starting to install from the CD, else you may ( I did )get a corrupted installation. NOTE: the patches will NOT warn you ( didn't warn me )that the installation is corrupted. They only warn if something goes awry with the patching process.Keep in touch and let us know how you go.Maybe a guru with Win XP might help.Cheers,Roger

Guest chezz

Randal and roger,I have tried uninstalling directx and infact reverted to directx 8.1 and also reinstalling the video driver for my ATI ALL-IN-WONDER 9800 v-card did'nt help either. I suspect it's the scenery, I haven't tried flying in other arteas except along California where I am terrascening oxnard - ksfo. I will try to fly in other areas to check if it only happens in this particular terrascened area. Thanks for your reply. will keep you posted.chris_CA