Sign in to follow this  
Guest desmondw

TACAN in Canada

Guest desmondw

Hi All, I would like to know how a person tunes in a TACAN, as according to all the approach plates I have with TACAN approaches on they seem to have Chanel numbers instead of Frequencies. Also they don't show up on the map in FLY!! although they are in the Navaid Pod with a type number 4. I can pick them up if I get the freq. from the navaid pod.Any explanation of these would be aprieciated.Thanks Desmond

Desmond,A TACAN is unuseable in Fly!, as it is a military navigation aid and requires a military TACAN receiver - Fly! is a general aviation simulation and, correctly, none of the aircraft can use TACAN signals.Now, here's the rub...VORTACs (a combination of TACAN AND VOR station) can be used in Fly!, properly tuning in the VOR portion. The problem is, there is a bug in Fly! re: the TACAN station portion - in the real world, the TACAN will also provide DME information to an aircraft tuned into the VOR. So, to a G.A. aircraft tuned into the VORTAC, it sees it as a VOR/DME while the miltary aircraft sees the TACAN. In Fly!, the DME portion of the VORTAC (TACAN segment) doesn't function. This means that we can't get DME from any VORTAC station in Fly! Rich was working with us in the last Beta group to resolve this issue, but was unable to cover every item before his death.So...here's what you can do:1. Forget the TACANs - they are not useable, nor would they be in the real world.2. If you have an important VORTAC station, one in which you need the DME portion to function for an approach, edit the DB and change the Component type from VORTAC (Type 5) to VOR/DME (Type 17). Now the VORTAC will appear to your aircraft as it would in the real world.Along with ILS adjustments and other items, a large DB update I'm coming out with in a few weeks for parts of the U.S. will contain many such VORTAC conversions.

Randall Rocke

Guest desmondw

Hi Randy, Again your excelent knowledge of our sim amazes me. Thankyou for the super explanation & the work around for the DME, that is what I was looking for. I look forward to your DB update in the future.Desmond

You're quite welcome - good luck with all of your endeavors!

Randall Rocke

Desmond,One other thing about Canadian DMEs - some of the DME transmitters are "stand-alones". In other words, the DME transmitter is not allied or combined with anything else (such as a VOR, VORTAC, ILS, or LOC. You can tell this by looking at the instrument approach chart (IAP).If the chart shows the two devices (DME + ILS, etc.) as having the same frequency, consider them combined. If they have different frequencies, they are stand-alones and can be tuned into a Nav receiver for reading. In those cases, I would tune the nav or approach path in NAV1 - then, tune the DME in NAV2. This capability was one of the items we were able to add to the 240 Build.So, here are the options.1. Matched frequencies for VOR or VORTAC: create as Type 17 (VOR/DME)2. Different frequencies for VOR or VORTAC: Make a separate entry for the DME as Type 16, entering the differing frequency and ID.3. LOC/DME or ILS/DME: Enter the DME separately in the DB, regardless. Just enter the frequency as the same as the Localizer if matched. If they are not matched, enter the different ID and frequency.I'm enjoying flying into a number of Canadian airports right now, since Wayne came out with some of his new sceneries. I've discovered a number of these DMEs (and a few localizers) to be missing, so I will provide updates for those after I finish this set for the U.S.

Randall Rocke

Guest desmondw

Hi Randy, Yes I have discovered a number of missing DMEs etc. & am going through my db's correcting these as I go. Thanks for all the advice & holding my hand while I am going through this learning curve, it is greatly aprieciated.Desmond