Sign in to follow this  
Guest tlc8126

Pink gound tiles?

Guest tlc8126

Does anyone know how to get rid of pink ground tiles? I am importing a satellite image of Bountiful Skypark (BTF) in Utah and get a red or pink shift in color from a natural looking image. Initially the image is exported from a USGS photo viewer program as a JPEG (*.JPG) file and I use PaintShop Pro (trial) to save it as Targa (*.TGA) to import. I have tried importing directly via the 'fly2slice.exe' program and a modified output text file borrowed from TerraScene 2.1, as well as thru the Scenery Editor (Ctrl+E) from within Fly! II. I have resized the image, but still can't get rid of the reddish/pink hue. The globe tile is 176,159 (x,z). The sub-tile withing this globe tile is 26,48 (xx, zz).Is there some kind of image manipulation I need to do before importing? (Like optimize the color distribution or something?)Also, I thought I'd ask if anyone can tell me what the 4 or 5 at the end of the data '*.RAW' and '*.ACT' files is for. I know that a binary 4 is 100 and a binary 5 is 101, so I assume they are some kind of bitfield, but what do the bits represent? I know that the rest of the file name is a Hexidecimal representation of the GlobeTile location (X,Z) as well as the sub-tile (68FFC70A = 1761593098, or GlobeTile 176-159, sub-tile 3098 within 176-159. But the file name is either "68FFC70A4" or "68FFC70A5" with '.RAW' or '.ACT' - RAW image file format or Adobe Color Table format)Thanks for you help!Tom

Guest Colins2

Hi Tom,I can't help with the pink colour issue - a screenshot would be interesting.The digits 4 or 5 on the end of the texture filename differentiate between hi-res and medium-res images. Fly! will load the appropriate texture depending on distance settings in the fly.ini file.Colin

Guest HeliFLYer

Hi Tom,I had the same problem with Jasc Paint Shop Pro 8 - saved a pic as normal TGA (24bit uncompressed) with ***PS Pro 8*** but all the colours of my satellite pictures got greenish-blue after slicing with FLY!. It took a lot of time to find out that it must be the TGA created with PS Pro 8 because TGAs made by Photoshop had quite normal colours (FLY! only works with 8 bits max. so some colour change/shift is normal). And also an algorithm I implemented in a program I am developping to make TGAs from BMPs works fine with FLY! - so it MUST be a Paint Shop problem!If you have no other graphic program you could try the fine and new gimp 2.2.4http://www.gimp.org/or the IrfanView graphic viewerhttp://www.irfanview.com/- I did *NOT* test one of these but they have the possibility to convert formats when saving pics.If this all is not successful - there are a lot of other free converters available on the net!To get best quality when slicing you have to set editorSliceBitsPerPixel=8 in the FlY.INI.Please give some feedback how it works!BY THE WAY - were you successful with the "fly2slice.exe" and a modified TS config file? I tried it but could not force the slicer to work! IF you could manage that I am ***VERY*** interested in your method because I would like to start the slicing from an program I am developping using the "fly2slice.exe".RegardsGeorg HeliFLYer EDDW

Guest tlc8126

Thanks to both Colin and Georg for their replies. I think Georg is right - this is a particular issue with PaintShop Pro, so I'll try GIMP next.And thanks for the info on High vs Low res texture files using the numbers 4 and 5 in the name. I'll have to look more into this.As for using the 'fly2slice.exe' file to import data, I just use what is logged by TerraScene 2.1: fly2slice.exe -i .txtHere is the 'btf.txt' file. Path on my PC is 'D:Tempbtf.txt':## fly2slice import file generated by TerraScene#textures.create=truetextures.createDistance=falsetextures.night.create=falsetextures.night.cutoffPercent=20textures.water.create=falsetextures.water.pure=truetextures.filename=D:Tempbtf.tgatextures.lowerLeft.latitude=40.845082textures.lowerLeft.longitude=-111.943135textures.upperRight.latitude=40.891133textures.upperRight.longitude=-111.90037textures.keepExisting=falsetextures.colorDepth=8elevations.create=falseelevations.filename=c:dummy.raselevations.numSamples.x=0elevations.numSamples.y=0elevations.lowerLeft.latitude=0elevations.lowerLeft.longitude=0elevations.upperRight.latitude=0elevations.upperRight.longitude=0elevations.subdivideTolerance=0elevations.subdivideDensity=0specificGlobeTile.enabled=falsespecificGlobeTile.x=176specificGlobeTile.z=159pod.create=falsepod.filename=nonepod.volumeName=noneI basically only changed 'textures.filename=' along with the four 'latitude' & 'longitude', lowerLeft, upperRight, values. There may be something in 'fly2slice.exe' that doesn't handle long filenames (like those in WinNT or WinXP, but how would it then get past 'Terminal Reality' and 'Fly! II'?). The only other thing I had to re-learn (I did some imports with Fly! originally, but got side tracked by life...) was that the image you import has to be big enough to 'fit' entirely into one sub-tile (like the 26,48 sub-tile I am working with in GlobeTile 176-159). I just went into Fly!II's scenery editor (Ctrl+E) and moved the cross-hair around to find the Lat/Lon of my sub-tile. I then had to make sure the USGS image covered that area.If I get the import to work properly (and get the proper coloration) I'll post an image. (NOTE: I found that the Lat/Lon of the runway in Fly!II is not aligned with my import image, but the Lat/Lon in the Airport/Runway database in Fly!II matches a year old AFD - Airport Facilities Directory). I'll have to go back and check, but I think airport locations like this (AFD Lat/Lon) specify the Beacon or Tower, not necessarily the middle of a runway as appears to be the case in Fly!II. If anyone has more information or can confirm this please let me know.Thanks again!Tom:-wave

Guest tlc8126

Boy, that was quick!I just finished importing the scenery using "editorSliceBitsPerPixel=8". It didn't have any affect. Then I went to my Adobe PhotoShop CS Trial. I had it automatically adjust histograms for color, then exported it to a *.tga file and did an import. It worked great! (See before and after pictures below.)Now I have to see if I can run TerraScene, then import my USGS Satellite image to see if the runway is really that much off...Thanks again for all your help!Tom

Guest Colins2

Hi Georg,Running the fly2slice program 'manually' works fine.I generate these TS2-style import files from both TerraShape and Fly!Mesh and then run them from the command line.That's all that TS2 does; it simply calls the fly2slice with the import file name after it has finished generating the image.There often seems to be some confusion over what TS2 does and it gets blamed for all sorts of problems.TS2 just creats the image from all the data you feed it, nothing else.This is in no way meant as a derogatory statement. TS2 is a great program :-)All the main 'work' is done by fly2slice.CheersColin

Tom,Although it is not relevant here Fly has problems managing models with long names as Andrew discovered with the Lighthousen error (Topic 18303):-beerchug

Guest roland_lfor

I can confirm that the pink problem came with PaintShopPro V8-9.There is no problem with PSP V7.- roland -* ROTW member *

Guest HeliFLYer

Hi Tomthat was a wonderful sharing of knowledge - you got better colours and I got the "-i" parameter when calling fly2slice.exe. Until your post I tried everything the way you described it - but I did NOT know that you have to append this parameter when calling the slicer with the "config"-Textfile.Now all is working fine. Have a look for the next release of my "Flytweaker" (then V 1.6) which will get some functions for writing the slicer-Textfile (you type in the coordinates and select the *.tga, flytweaker writes the file) and then running the slicer by clicking a button. We are all a little lazy, aren't we?Regards from Bremen, GermanyGeorg HeliFLYer EDDW

Guest HeliFLYer

Hi Colinthank you very much for you help which motivated me to try again and again.Tom gave me the "-i" parameter (which I did not now until now, where did you guys get the info from :-hmmm) but it still did not work!Your post motivated me to give not up and at last I found out that fly2slice.exe did not accept the long filepath (with spaces) of the "config"-Textfile and cut it at the first space.Then I put the *.txt into the FLY root directory and called the slicer with the "-i" parameter and only the textfile-name without the path and all worked fine. It is one important piece to add to my Landsat7 prg work.RegardsGeorg HeliFLYer EDDWBTW:I found out that there is a *little* calculation failure in the "Jeeps" library when you calculate back from WGS84 UTM to WGS84 Lat-Lon.If you convert LL(1) -> UTM -> LL(2) there is a little difference between LL(1) and LL(2). I found some better routines on the net. If you are interested I'll mail you the source.Georg

Guest roland_lfor

Hi, for long name with spaces, just add 2 " chars in your .BAT file :flyslice.exe -i "my very long path file"- roland -* ROTW member *

Guest HeliFLYer

Roland, thank you for the hint, will try it!RegardsGeorg HeliFLYer EDDW