Sign in to follow this  
Guest mapman

New to FlyII with Terrain question

Guest mapman

Hi all!I just purchased FlyII from ebay and have been very pleased with the product! The Flysimol site and AVsim are great and I am all patched up and have finished working through the manual and the Flyhawk training (the Sahara is next).I have installed the terrain data files w100n40 and w140n40 and have been pleased with the results except for two odd wonders I have run accross.In California, by Borrego Valley, all arround the Salten Sea (El - 250) there are shere cliffs rising straight up for over 6,000 feet. Quite a site, really, but it does not match the map, LOL.I also find a similar oddity just SW of Sacramento. No lake there, just a large section (30 miles sq?) of 6,000 foot shere cliffs and spires. Mind you, these are visible from SFO!Any ideas or suggestions?Oh, one other questions. Should I wait to start using the Terra scenery until after I have puchased a 3D graphics card? I have an AMD Athlon 3000+ with an integrated graphics card to 64mb now.Thanks in advance,Marc

Guest tonyc

I am aftraid that the video card will limit your ability to fly smoothly. I suggest that you get FLY2 to run as you want it before you experiment with add on scenery. If so, start by adding the many airport sceneries. tony

Marc,I do not understand cause for the problem you have.Sometimes peculiar effects occur if there are holes in the texture of ground tiles.I have had similar problems trying to import elevation data into the NZ scenery.I attach two screenshots taken from the end of runway 25 at Borrego Valley and also approaching Salten Sea.One of the experts such as Colin may be able to help.

Guest mapman

Hi Flyfisher,Thanks for replying!Did you install the w140n40 data files or something different? Maybe I just need to re-install all my terrain data.Thanks,MarcPS Does anybody know how to determine which data folder a given terrain is in? Are the numbered by Lat & Long.?

Marc,I am fairly sure I just have the default data for that area.The data folders are named according to the globe tile they cover.D169157, for example, covers globe tile 169,157To find where a particular globe tile is use the scenery editor.

Guest mapman

Thank you very much!By the way, do you know if it is ok to use Fly scenery and/or aircraft in Fly II?

Guest Colins2

Hi Marc,I'm curious when you say that you imported these data files.How exactly did you do this?Also, which dataset are they?Both the older GTOPO30 and the newer SRTM30 datasets have the same names and area coverage.Unfortunately, I couldn't view the shots you posted 2nd time, they are not there any more.Colin

Guest mapman

>Hi Marc,>I'm curious when you say that you imported these data files.>How exactly did you do this?>Also, which dataset are they?>Both the older GTOPO30 and the newer SRTM30 datasets have the>same names and area coverage.>Unfortunately, I couldn't view the shots you posted 2nd time,>they are not there any more.>>ColinHi Colin,These terrain data files w100n40 and w140n40 are in the file library under FlyII Scenery I believe.Here are the pics again. From Borrego Valley looking towards the Salten Sea and then flying over it.Thanks,Marc

Guest Colins2

Hi Marc,I was unable to find those files in the library.From the names though, they should be GTOPO30 or SRTM30.Was there a .txt file for importing the data?The problen 'could' be the 'no-data-value' values in the file.GTOPO and SRTM use a figure of -9999 for this.This is possibly confusing the slicer.Can you give me the lat/long of these 'artifacts' and I'll check my versions of these files and see what is there.Colin

Guest Colins2

Hi Marc,OK, I d/l the file.It is old data for Fly!v1 and in a totally different format to that which Fly!2 needs.I'm surprised that Fly!2 even runs?Either it is ignoring the data or it is reading some of it and not liking it.What the author has done is to import the GTOPO30 data into Fly!1 with the Fly!1 slicer tool.The d/l contains all of the ..data folders created by this tool.Personally, I would delete this stuff and re-import the data using the fly!2 slicer. Also, better, more recent data has been released now.It's quite an easy process; if you need any help drop me a line or post back here.To answer your other question, no, Fly!2 can't use Fly!1 scenery.There are various reasons for this such as the format but anyway the Fly!1 scenery definition is about half of that of Fly!2 so it wouldn't look very good.CheersColin

Guest mapman

Thanks Colin.Any instruction on how to do this would be greatly appreciated.Marc