Sign in to follow this  
Guest Eagle

Altimeter on DC-9

Guest Eagle

I was flying on-line tonight and caught a lot of grief from the controllers. I was using the DC-9 and was cleared to FL340 which is what the altimeter in the plane read. Well VATSIM didn't think so, they said I was at FL350. So I look at the map and click on the plane and sure enough I was at FL350.It would appear the altimeter registers 1,000 ft. less than the altitude the plane is at. I was cleared down to FL330 and had to set the altimeter at 31,970 to get to that altitude.So, what am I getting at here. Is there anyway to change a file for the DC-9 to correct this problem? Perhaps I should not fly the DC-9 on-line and pick another plane. If there is not an easy fix I will forget about it. Just thought some of you experts out there can give me some guidance.

Guest Shalomar

Donny AKA ShalomarFly 2 ROCKS!!!Sorry I can't help with your query but I am very interested in flying on Vatsim. What is involved with getting FLY 2 online? Is there a special Squawkbox for it?

Guest tonyc

Wayne, there's a bug with online flying and FLY's altimeter setting. You simply don't adjust it to reported readings. This will keep things fine. so when ATC calls you with an altimeter reading, you simply do nothing.tony

Guest tonyc

Yes, there's a SB and it's on AVsim. tony

Guest roland_lfor

Here is the problem I saw (with Tony) during SB Beta tests :Fly! has a bug while importing a Metar, the altimeter is not refreshed with the correct value. The only way to force the refresh is to open the "Weather->Other" menu and click "Ok" on the new window. After a few seconds you will see the altimeter moving to the correct altitude regarding the outside pressure.But this bug is always there, even if you are flying off-line or on-line.Other important thing : the altitude send by SquawkBox to other aircraft or controler is always the real MSL alt, not the altimeter read value.- roland -* ROTW member *

Guest Eagle

Thanks guys, I knew someone would give me an answer.Tony, I don't understand "do nothing". I tried that last night and the controller kept after me until I went to the prescribed altitude. If I am assigned FL340 and I set the altimeter to that I expect the plane to level off at FL340 and when it goes to FL350 I get a lot of grief.As I said previously this was in the DC-9, however, I have been flying the Hawker for a number of hours on VATSIM without any problems. So I took the plane up to 10,000, opened the map and clicked on the plane. I was within 30 feet of the 10,000 as set. I then went up to 15,740 and I was within 120 feet of that altitude.If there is a bug in FLY concerning altitude, then we cannot fly on-line at the altitude as given by the controllers. At least not the DC-9, however I will keep flying the Hawker and keep checking on the altitude.Perhaps others will tell us of their experiences.

Guest Eagle

I just re-read the post by roland. I was not flying with a metar and that may be the problem. When on-line at VATSIM the weather is being imported while in flight. So I will try this again using a metar file and see what happens using the suggestion by roland.

Guest tonyc

Wayne. You simply don't calibrate the altimeter--ever. As Roland points out, SB sends out correct altitude. When you change the pressure via altimeter knob, however, it changes the altitude transmitted to ATC.>>>>>If I am assigned FL340 and I set the altimeter to that I expect the plane to level off at FL340 and when it goes to FL350 I get a lot of grief.<<<<<

Guest roland_lfor

It's the same problem if you import a metar file or using the "Auto weather" function.- roland -* ROTW member *