Sign in to follow this  
Guest Shalomar

ILS Snafu info: Attention RandallR

Guest Shalomar

Donny AKA ShalomarFly 2 ROCKS!!!Sorry it took so long, I was out of town for the weekend. PAY's runway with ILS is 11, 111.00. I teleported to my "home" airfield KABE PA where I never had a problem before. Runway 06 110.7 and 13 111.9 both are NOW read by the EFIS as the same runway, forgot to check but I think the erroneous ILS headings match with PAY. PAY shows up as PAYA on the GPS. Also now when I click on a VOR in vector map Lat/long coordinates elevation and frequency are all zeros. The only other words that apear are I.D. Morse, no names or IDs. I don't know when this problem apeared, either basic instalation, ROTW addon, PGMD 777 installation or reaplication of 240 patch. I was flying for a while before I installed the 777 but not trying to use ILSs or getting VOR info from the vector map. If I have to reinstall it's not a major tragedy cuz I didn't know at the time "mute midi player" meant to simply mute all sounds in Windows. But I WOULD like to know where I went wrong (if it was me) so it doesn't happen again.Thanx:-wave

Guest Shalomar

Donny AKA ShalomarFly 2 ROCKS!!!Editing period expired. Forgot you asked about aproaches and assigned runway. Well no matter what I specify as soon as I exit the planner it snaps back to "use active." Only rarely does the weather I specify exist at my destination. Been like that for a long time thru multiple reinstall, thought it was the same for everyone.

G'day Donny,I visited KABE on a clean install of Fly! II. The ILS on runways 06 and 13 worked as expected. From your post it appears to me that you have a corrupted installation. Also clicking on VOR's in the vector window brings up all the info correctly.At a guess (stress guess) I think your problem was with your initial install, or the order in which you installed.Yep, just right click on the speaker in systray and open the volume controls. Mute everything in sight! Also make sure that you close any other Tsr's that may be running.All the above must be done before installing off the Fly! II CD.Once you have completely finished installing and are patched up to 2.5.240 then you can put sound back on.In the beginning days of Fly! II installing and patching were without doubt the hottest topics on the forum. Edit : Read the anchored post " first time flyers...." if you haven't already. Did you apply the correct patches before applying the 240 patch? I don't know what the patch level is included with the B777 but make sure you are patched up to the required level before applying the 240 patch.One of the great features of Fly! II is the ease of adding third party files so a complete re-install isn't that much of a hassle. If I were you I would do a reinstall as you can't have confidence that there isn't some other corruption lurking that you haven't yet discovered.Just my 2c worth, hold fire and see what Randall has to say.Cheers,Roger

Donny,Because of my schedule, you'll need to give me a couple of days to test out those locations. Though I rarely advise reinstalling, it does indeed sound like you have a corruption.If you do reinstall, I would advise moving all scenery and add-on files, etc. to a backup location so you can easily replace them after the reinstallion of Fly!II. IMPORTANT: be sure to delete the original Fly!II directory before reinstalling - defragging at that point is also a good idea. Also, if you do reinstall, I recommend improving your odds by installing the B777 after the 210 patch - then follow with the 240 patch.

Randall Rocke

Donny,I was referring to the localizers (freqs.) and their assigned runways (headings). You've answered those items already in another post.The "use active" selection is an item that has no effect (if you use the built-in ATC, you will always be assigned the same runway at every airport). I recommend using C4TO, Vatsim, etc., so you are assigned proper runways for windage. Also, you have the power to choose the proper approach and fly it using the appropriate Instrument Approach Plate.

Randall Rocke

Guest Shalomar

Donny AKA ShalomarFly 2 ROCKS!!!As for patching, I left it up to ROTW this time. (never did have the ILS and vector map problems on previous installs.I did NOT start till contents of the DVD were in place. I was grounded for weeks till I saw George Heliflyer's helpful posts on deleting gps.dll and renaming some .dlls to dll.notused. I did not have the 777 when I installed. Imediately after I installed it I reaplied the 240 patch. Should it actually come to a reinstall, I will "hold fire" till the new version of Heliflyer's DLL switching utility is released. Some final questions for future reference:Instead of reaplying the 240 patch, should I install the 777 at 210 then the 240 patch?What about the Citabria/Decathlon? Since they change files (such as the default startup aircraft), should I do them right after the 777 before the 240 patch and the rest of the DVD? (which makes the Seneca the default startup aircraft.) The Citabria/Decathlon were not installed when the problems appeared and can not be the source, but my question is what should be my default startup aircraft? PGMD, ROTW and Realair all suggest making the 777, Seneca or Citabria my default startup aircraft. Something's gotta give. To muddy the waters even more, an old suggestion from ROTW was to always exit FLY 2 in a TRI default plane when using persistent World to avoid ocasianal loss of scenery and malfunction of Seneca components. If my default startup plane is not from TRI does this requirement vanish?I did read the "first time flyers" but was thrown off by computerspeak like "mute your MIDI player" instead of "turn off all sounds in Windows". Not sure how to get "in systray". If I go to "Start, settings, control panel, sound" and click the speaker on the lower right so it is Xed out will that do the job? Or do I have to uncheck every box in the sounds window?Pardon my ignorance but the ONLY reason I own a computer is to fly and play chess on. I don't even watch TV or browse the internet much besides sites devoted to flight or Chess. Believe it or not, I AM learning... slowly. If it were not for this forum, I would probably have switched to FS9 even with the DVD. ROTW has a little way to go to make it "autoexecutable". For instance it switches "showusergraphicsinfo" to "0". Unless you are one of the fortunate few whose vid card supports T&L, you have to enter and change to "1" which is simple... for those who know. Not everyone is on the internet and those are the ones who will want the DVD most. There are "cookie problems" with Avsim on most public computers. So they will not be able to get specific advice.

Guest Shalomar

Donny AKA ShalomarFly 2 ROCKS!!!We must have been typing at the same time. I still wonder about the Citabria/decathlon and startup aircraft questions. I'm going to wait for the DLL switching utility before reinstall- IF it comes to that. Sure wish I knew the source of the problem, but you answered most of my questions. Take your time checking it out, my frame rate isn't the greatest and I can't do IFR aproaches but I'm still FLYing. I use the IFR hood when I will be using the mouse a lot- like during startup. My joystick is USB and functions fine since installation of directX 9c.THANX for your efforts.:-wave

Donny,I would definitely install both the B777 and Citabria after the 210 patch and prior to the 240 patch. Make the Citabria install the last of those, so that it is left as the default aircraft. Delete all of the HST files after the 210 patch and again after the 240 patch before starting Fly!II.If it is really necessary for the B777 to be the default startup aircraft (can't remember - I haven't flown it for awhile), then change the fly.ini file just before starting Fly!II. I do know that the Citabria must be the default to work properly. I have not experienced any problems. Some users have separate fly.ini files they copy into the system folder before startup, mattering on such circumstances.

Randall Rocke

Guest Shalomar

Donny AKA ShalomarFly 2 ROCKS!!!Thanx. I am not yet over the rubicon. Where does the Seneca come in? ROTW makes THAT the startup aircraft. There would be some advantages to a reinstall, I would properly mute sounds and would know this time not to put taxiway elements in the Data pod as per instructions for airports created before the taxiway pod. Is this the correct procedure for muting sound? (Windows ME)StartSettingsControl panelsoundClick on the "speaker" icon to lower right, Xing it out,not bothering to turn off every sound individually. Would there be any further advantage to a disabling "load sound drivers at startup" then a reboot just before installation so my sound card driver is not using resources? Would that hurt anything?Best Regards, Donny:-wave

G'day Donny,> Is this the correct procedure for muting sound?>(Windows ME)>>Start>Settings>Control panel>sound>Click on the "speaker" icon to lower right, Xing it out,not>bothering to turn off every sound individually.I don't have ME but the above should do just fine. :-) >Would there be any further advantage to a disabling "load>sound drivers at startup" then a reboot just before>installation so my sound card driver is not using resources?>Would that hurt anything?No advantage at all, just making a lot of unnecessary work for yourself. Cheers,Roger

There is certainly no need to have the Seneca load first, at least that I'm aware of. I'm guessing ROTW set up the DVD install package that way as it was their last aircraft project.As far as sound goes, I've just muted the MIDI input on the volume control mixer when I've installed. Your idea sounds appropriate - you could also simply open the Volume Control from the lower-right System Tray and check "Mute all".

Randall Rocke

Guest Shalomar

Donny AKA ShalomarFly 2 ROCKS!!!Almost a week ago I was on ROTW's site and saw a popup for a free scan for errors. I hardly ever do but I clicked this one. It said I had 96, some involving FLY 2 .exe and some FS9 9.1 patch which I thought was uninstalled along with FS9. It said I could fix the errors by registering errorguard for a fee of... yea right. But two days ago I did. Not much improvement, what a waste... A few hours ago I was FLYING and had a CTD. Turns out I had only 22 megabytes left on my operating drive. I didn't plan my partitions very well years ago and have everything but Windows and stuff like Acrobat on other drives. Errorguard was backing up files on C: drive. I deselected "create backups when fixing errors" and MAGIC!!! Over 1 gig available on C drive. I reentered FLY 2 with the best frame rate since I put in the DVD. No more need to put up the IFR hood for precise mousework. To my surprise the Vector map was functional and the ILS for runway 13 at Vancouver worked perfectly. The autopilot in the King Air was inop but I think that's an issue with the Twin Otter. I just got rid of it and I'm about to check. I'll keep you posted, I will also make sure the vector map and ILS work outside of Canada.Best Regards, Donny:-wave