Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

RealityXP - Realistic with HEAVIES?

Guest GiZBUG

Any simmer's out there using this program? My question is this: How realistic is it to purchase/use this program if I only fly HEAVIES in FS2002? This program seems more of a General Aviation tool. .Comments?

Guest KenG

Well, if you want to be realistic and stay with heavies, the GPS is not what you'd most likely be using on modern airliners. Instead, you'd be using INS with a FMC. The GPS would primarily be there to backup the ring-laser gyros. Therefore, the RealityXP radio stack would not be "realistic" as it is more directed toward GA planes. However, if you use the FS GPS with heavies, the RealityXP GPS is far more functional and realistic to what a real GPS does. The default GPS is more of a MFD (although it really has only 1 useful display) and not a realistic GPS. Regardless of what you fly, this avionics package is extraordinary and VERY realistic...even if it is more geared toward GA.

I had a conversation with a few Northwest pilots a few years ago (they were dc9 and 727 drivers) and they were lamenting the fact that they still only had two vor's as their sole navigation equipment. Many of them carried their handheld gps's in the flight bag.I second what Ken said-the REality xp is a realistic,real world operating Gps (and radio stack) for fs2002. I suspect you would probably find this on any UPS aircraft.http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/geofanim2.gif

Guest GiZBUG

How is this different from FlightMax?

Well technically in the real word-flight max (avidyne) is a mfd-multi function display. There is also the mx20 which ties into the apollo/ups (reality xp), and the King.These are displays that you "feed" the inputs of your gps, stormscope, radar etc. into. They by themselves don't have these capabilities. The flightmax does put these in, however in the fs version.Frankly, I use both, as this gives you the complete unit as sold-the radios/gps (reality xp), and muti function display (flightmax). I would prefer the mx20-but the flightmax will do until someone makes a mx20. To get the maps as shown below for the flightmax requires an added expense to buy charts.http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/geofanim2.gif

Guest GiZBUG

I Think Ill save my money and buy a new sectional =)