Sign in to follow this  
Roger Mazengarb

Controls identification..............DH 115

G'day all,Is there any ex FAA or Airforce guy on the forum who can give me an explanation of the controls marked on the attached drawing.Aircraft is De Havilland Vampire T 55 two seat trainer. #1 and #2 are on the wing upper surface.#3 on the lower srface ( not sure if this is a control; it may be just a fixed panel)Thanks for the help.Cheers,Roger

Guest mapman

Roger...I think you forgot the attachment...

Guest Jan

Hi Roger.Are you planning a two seat Vampire? We have one at the localaircraft museum.And I have friends working there.So I already planned to go down and take some pictures of different planes/panels/views.Do you need any from the Vamp?I also have a flight manual from the single seat Vampire,in case you need other info.So long.Janhttp://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/bannerjh.jpg

G'day,Duuhh Dunno what the problem was!! Not enough sleep probably! :-lolOK I attached the drawing to this post.From scouring the web it appears that #2 and #3 are the same control. Maybe some form of drag inducing/lift dumping ground spoiler with a really weird mode of operation. Something like a Frieze aileron, triangular in shape, that rotates so that the flat undersurface is at 90 degrees to its stowed position. Still not sure.Edit: (still half asleep :-) ) And at a guess I think #1 is an inflight speed brake.Anyone able to confirm.??? or deny? :-)ThanksCheers,Roger

G'day Jan,Planning?!! Since when did I ever plan anything. :-)Just to keep the monkey off my back whilst seeing if Chris can find out the problem with the Jabiru, I saw the orthographic drawings of the T 55 in a magazine and started fiddling in Truespace.Any help with cockpit photos would be greatly appreciated. So if it's not too much trouble, yes please I would dearly love to get some. Also any other info that you are able to supply pertaining to the aircraft would be welcomed.Thank you for the offer.Attached is the aircraft so far. I love old aircraft; it's a dead giveaway to my age. :-lolCheers,Roger

Guest Jan

Hi Roger.That model looks just great.You realy get the hang of it.Wish I could do the same.In the flightmanual it only list levers for flap,divebrake and aileron trimtab.So your panels should be the first two listed.I took some pics in the Vamp some years ago with a cheap pocket camera.That explain the bad quality.Attached is one wingview,and one of the left part of the panel I belive.Next time I'll use a good digital camera,pluss my digital video cam.Can't wait to see it in FlyII.Jan http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/bannerjh.jpg

G'day Jan,Thanks for the comments - it's called tracing! anyone can do it :-)I noticed that the instruments were all metric!!! Can Fly! II handle metrics??? That's really weird. A British aircraft with all metric instruments. I wonder if it's just a matter of a scale change or whether it's more involved.I located the attached pic off the web (it's from a museum and is a Swiss aircraft ) which shows the controls. The segmented split trailing edge flaps and the "dive brake"???? deployed.That monster looks as though it would just about tear the wings off the aircraft. :-lolCheers,Roger

Guest Jan

Hi Roger.The simple answer is that this is a Swiss aircraft too.But for Fly I think you should use original English instrumentation.Not sure how to do a metric version.Or if I ever want to fly one because of the confusion when I'm used to feet and knots.Keep it up,it's going to be great :)So long.Janhttp://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/bannerjh.jpg

Great work, Roger! We can always use some nice "older" aircraft to fly! with! Cheers,Ken Wood :-sun1http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/bannernewkw.jpgGateway 700X; Intel P4 2.4GHz; 512MB RAM; NVIDIA Ti4200 4X AGP 128MB; SB Audigy; Thrustmaster TopGun Fox 2 Pro Shock

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster