Sign in to follow this  
Guest mapman

Weather creation question

Guest mapman

Hi all,I decided to set up a flight plan from Sedona, Arizona to Catalina Island in So Cal.So....using the weather insert tools in the flight planner with the Alt key:I wanted to start off on a clear day and then fly into a cold front. After setting up my route in the flight planner (Sedona to Blyth with a stop in Borrego Air Ranch by the Salten Sea and then on past Oceanside to Catalina).I went from Sedona, clear with no clouds or precipitation, and added some high cirrus clouds at Blyth, increasing clouds halfway from Blyth to Borrego, more clouds, some wind and light rain at Borrego then lots of clouds and moderate rain at Oceanside to heavy rain and a 2,000 ceiling at Catalina.Happy with what I thought I had accomplished, I saved the scenario and went back to my plane in Sedona only to find it cloudy and raining!!!Hmmm...So I clicked on Weather Overview and changed Sedona back to clear. I then went waypoint by waypoint only to find they were all clear too!Frustrated, I decided to teleport to each location, change the weather and save the flight each time...same result! So much for flying slowly into a front!Please help..what am I doing wrong? I left the area effected around the weather at 30 miles, but it did not matter as all the waypoints weather changed to whatever I input at the waypoint I was editing at the time.Thanks in advance,Marc

Guest tonyc

I need to think about your problem. Give me a couple of days to see what might cause it. My flying is alwasy done with online weather or downloaded weather with Infometar. But I simply don't remember exactly how rain or snow is triggered.tony

Guest mapman

Thanks Tony. Any help is appreciated.

Marc,I may be wrong on this, but I believe the "insert" function of Fly!II's weather system was never implemented (left unfinished). I recall a number of online exchanges in the last Beta Team with Rich, the creator of Fly!II, around this and many other issues he was trying to resolve prior to his death. Everything had to be prioritized - taking care of the big items first, then proceeding on to detail items if time allotted.It may be a good idea to post this question to David Sandberg, who did an amazing amount of work with Rich to get as much accuracy as possible out of Fly!II's weather engine. David is the creator of the wonderful Infometar program. He may know what can be done for creating changing weather in Fly!, or at least, be able to say why you can't do that at this time.One thing we do know is that metar imports, for the most part, work. The weather will change along your flight route when you import a metar report. If direct access for weather control changes isn't functioning, it may be possible to edit metars for that purpose, then import them.

Randall Rocke

Guest mapman

Thanks Randall,Should I post that question here or someplace else?Marc

Marc,I would go ahead and create a new post right here - include his name in the subject line. He checks in from time to time.

Randall Rocke

I'm not David, but what you really need to do is set up your own weather METAR file to import into the sim. SInce this is a text file, it isn't all that hard to do. Here is something to try:1. Download latest weather observations from NOAA/NWS into InfoMetar.2. Holding down the SHIFT key, Click on each spot you want to fly (or nearest airport) so a route shows.3. Find and click on the button "thin".4. Once you happy with the points, save the file in Fly!II's METAR folder.5. Now, open the file you saved with notepad and make the changes to each weather observation to what you want over those points and resave. If Borrego Air Ranch doesn't send observations and/or is not shown in InfoMetar, you can still "make your own" by following the format from another observation, and at the beginning, input 5L5 (Borrego's ID) - example:5L5 281953Z 27008KT 7SM SCT033 33/23 A29896. Start Fly!II and load in the specific weather file, and you should have the weather you want only along your flight track. Hope this helps!Cheers,Ken Wood :-sun1MeterologistSeawind Projecthttp://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/bannernewkw.jpgGateway 700X; Intel P4 2.4GHz; 512MB RAM; NVIDIA Ti4200 4X AGP 128MB; SB Audigy; Thrustmaster TopGun Fox 2 Pro Shock

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

Guest DSandberg

My stop-ins are getting quite rare these days, alas, as I've pretty much moved on from Fly and have other things going on. But I do still try to peek in occasionally.David Sandberg[br]THE BEAST: AMD Athlon 64 3000+, MSI K8N Neo Platinum MB, 1GB Kingston PC3200 ValueRAM, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB, WD Caviar SE 160GB, Echo Gina 24/96, Pioneer DVR-107 DVD-RW, Samsung SD-616E DVD-ROM, Antec Sonata case, Mitsubishi 19" Diamond Pro 930SB, Windows XP Professional, DirectX 9.0c, CH USB Flight Sim Yoke & Pro Pedals.[br]Long live InfoMETAR