Sign in to follow this  
Guest tonyc

Rotw dvd scenery and disk access.....

Guest tonyc

Richard Harvey argued this point hard, but does anyone have any tricks for making flying in heavy scenery and yet not be plagued with disk access, which causes fps pauses? The video card shows very little activity in the 128 and 256 bit slot usage, yet the hard drive light keeps lighting. this is what tells me that it's not a render.ini issue, but simply how FLY2 accesses complex scenery that is not cached.tony

G'day Tony,Are you using "distance hiding" and "pop into view"? Sydney region has 5 airports all within a 20 nm radius.Flying west over Kingsford Smith airport fly would "see" and try to load all the models for Bankstown, Hoxton Park, Camden and Richmond airports. I have all of those airports chockers with models. By using the above features Fly only sees one airport at a time as it comes within the set range.Made a huge difference to my flying FPS.Cheers,Roger

Guest tonyc

Good point which I had forgotten, Roger. I have a 0 and 20--forget which is which--set up. What do you have?tony

Guest rene_35

At ROTW, we are workink around the .scf files. We try to find what is the best size depending of the number of textures we have to display and what is the best relation between the load size ans the coverage size.And for that we use the new feature add in the VolNav! tool (V14 release).May be information soon.

Guest tonyc

I flew at night, with new fly.ini settings, and still the flight was riddled with disk access pauses--at times, excessively long. I thought that video card bandwidth would help, but a new 6600gt barely improves things. If Richard were still alive, I'd argue his insistance of displaying Fly2 scenery(the current way) vs MSFS. I suspect that the ROTW disk access activity is tied more to the "terrascened" scenery than the objects. In my other installation, the airport objects barely have an effect on very smooth frame rates.tony

Guest HeliFLYer

Hi Tony,did you switch *off* all critical *.dlls as I suggested some time ago?If so, another improvement would be to use an external scenery folder on a second hard-disk. It is rather unbelievable, but moving some critical sceneries from the FLY!2 base folder to an external scenery folder on the second HD improved display speed. (First HD 120 GB, NTFS, second HD 120 GB, FAT32).Try it!RegardsGeorg HeliFLYer EDDWBTW: FlyTweaker 1.6 will be uploaded this evening. I am just adding a new idea (semi-auto installing) on the rush (...oooh).Switching off critical dlls, changing fly.ini to external scenery folder, installing external scenery folder, moving scenery files to external scenery folder ... is all implemented. And many more ..If you have problems with FLY!2, have a look at this version

Guest danieletona

Hi GeorgI wait with impatience the new version of FlyTweaker.Dan

Guest tonyc

Georg,Let's see if I understand correctly. The entire dvd is on harddrive.YOu're suggesting a second hard drive....would a partition on the same drive do?As for the dlls, I took out the real bad one, the gps.dll. But I'll take another look at them to see if there's anything else. The access(and pauses) is all hard drive related, and I can't figure it out....tony

Guest HeliFLYer

Hi Tony,FLYTweaker 1.6 is out (see post). Use it to switch off the critical dlls and to check your fly.ini/render.ini.From the short "manual" of FLY2Tweaker:*** COPY OR MOVE SCENERY FILES ***This could be important if you decide to have a separate scenery folder in the root directory of the same or another harddisk.You must set SetSearchOtherDrives=1 in fly.ini - use "change fly.ini" , press the button right/bottom "SetSearchOtherDrives" and then "SAVE". Create a[scenery] folder in the root dir of any harddisk, CD-ROM or DVD, it will be recognized by FLY! Why? a) to share scenery-installation if you have more than 1 FLY! installation:( to create a scenery folder with seldom used scenery and burn it in the root directory of a DVD/CD-ROM. Then you can delete this HD-folder and have the possibility to copy it back OR EVEN RUN IT DIRECTLY FROM DVD/CD-ROM! This IS possible though it depends on your personal hardware - just try it.AND I FORGOT AND HAVE TO ADD - in some cases this separate scenery folder seems to increase display speed - it is worth a try!RegardsGeorg HeliFLYer EDDW

Guest Shalomar

Donny AKA ShalomarFly 2 ROCKS!!!I don't know if it might help, but the DVD puts in 256 terrascene textures and it helped me a lot to replace it with 128 in the senery/shared folder and deselect "high detail textures". The ground looked awful when I deselected it before with TM_256 but now there's barely a difference and IFR is fun again. Even if you don't deselect "high detail textures", if you have 128 set to 999 in render.ini it might help to run those textures.Best Regards, Donny:-wave