Sign in to follow this  
Guest CaptainHal

Need avionics documentation for ATR42-500

Guest CaptainHal

The new ATR42-500 has a wonderful photorealistic panel with all the buttons and switches and nav equipment to delight the most avid flightsimmer. But lacking any specifications or manuals or instructions or suggested links where to find information about the GPS, EFIS etc., what's a new pilot going to do ? I don't have any idea who manufctures the GPS, or the name of the model pictured. The aircraft is a tad quirky as regards throttle changes, landing with flaps is a challenge but I am intrigued. Any suggestions where I can get information about how to fly this lovely aircraft, which I envision as an Twin Otter on steroids. Thanks.

Guest sabatier

Hi Well, most of the avionic instruments are from the standard FLY toolbox and are found in other airplanes. What you probably need is to become familiar with IFR and related instruments (EFIS, HSI, etc).Writing such a book has already be done and is not part of releasing a new plane.I suggest that you first read all the documentation included in the FLY! box. It include a detailled description on all navigation instruments used in IFR and found in FLY!. I don't have any more access to the AVSIM FLY library, but I am sure that the flyeurs from this forum will give you some pointer to those documents that are stored in the AVSIM library.There is no GPS in the ATR. There is a UFMS (flight management system) that is already used by the HAWKER.There is a GPWS (ground proximity warning system) that checks the plane condition during the various phases of a flight. It just gives warning message to the pilots (described in the included manual). Otherwise than shutting off the GPWS, pilot has no control over it.Hope that you will find all you need.Just in case, we have french manual on IFR at www.simvol.orgRegardsJean

Guest Shalomar

Donny AKA Shalomar Edit: My post multiplied on me!!!

Guest Shalomar

Donny AKA ShalomarFly 2 ROCKS!!!The "complete_Fly2_users_guide.zip" is in the miscelaneous category of FLY 2 in the Avsim library. I'm lousy at links though. If you search that catagory using the keyword "PDF" it should be about the third one down. The "FMS" basically just imports flight plans from the planner, actually the KLN-89 installed in some other planes has more functionality. (like direct to from the panel and some calculations functions) Once you turn it on in the ATR just follow the prompts (like "accept") till you see your flight plan displayed. You can slave your NAV indicators on the EHSI to the FMS course or VOR or whatever. A trick that's not in the documentation is that you can just enter waypoints in the flight planner then close the flight planner like any other window. (uppper right) You can even use the Nav log. This helps because if you want to modify a waypoint midair if you click "start flight plan" you will be taken back to a "cold, dark" cockpit at your airport of origin. If you want real IFR ATC (or as real as it's gotten for FLY) I suggest downloading the DLL version of C4TO and the patches for it.Best Regards, Donny :-wave

Guest CaptainHal

>Donny AKA Shalomar>Fly 2 ROCKS!!!>>The "complete_Fly2_users_guide.zip" is in the miscelaneous>category of FLY 2 in the Avsim library. I'm lousy at links>though. If you search that catagory using the keyword "PDF" it>should be about the third one down. The "FMS" basically just>imports flight plans from the planner, actually the KLN-89>installed in some other planes has more functionality. (like>direct to from the panel and some calculations functions) Once>you turn it on in the ATR just follow the prompts (like>"accept") till you see your flight plan displayed. You can>slave your NAV indicators on the EHSI to the FMS course or VOR>or whatever. A trick that's not in the documentation is that>you can just enter waypoints in the flight planner then close>the flight planner like any other window. (uppper right) You>can even use the Nav log. This helps because if you want to>modify a waypoint midair if you click "start flight plan" you>will be taken back to a "cold, dark" cockpit at your airport>of origin. If you want real IFR ATC (or as real as it's gotten>for FLY) I suggest downloading the DLL version of C4TO and the>patches for it.>>Best Regards, Donny :-wave >Thanks so much..I found the link and I am downloading same. I will try entering waypoints too without having to be re-teleported. I am also going to check out the IFR ATC dll's you mentioned. Very helpful. Much appreciated! Happy Landings, Harold