Sign in to follow this  
Fall_guy

Anyone familiar with Python?

Hi Guys,I was thinking of how to generate some new interest in FLY and can't understand why more has'nt been done with the Python programming script. Is there problems with the script? or do we just lack the guys with python knowledge and knowhow.I've been trying to get in touch with Jeff Davis (the author of Yakster) but my emails are being returned. (If anyone knows his email address i'd be grateful).......anyhowWhat I had in mind was a script similar to Jeffs which would allow several folders eg. Heavy Jets, Turbo Props, Landings, Take-offs, Baggage Carts, vehicles etc...So that sound wav files can be placed in the folders and played randomly along with silent intervals consisting of different time lengths, to create an Airport environment.The other script I'd like to see is a GPWS programmed in Python, because it would be multi platform it would allow us Mac guys a bit of pleasure (Since we lost the use of FlyScripts).It just seems a shame more has'nt been done with Python!!I have downloaded all the bits and beginners tutorials to see if I can contribute, but alas I think it will be quite sometime before I'm able to make progress (never programmed before). So if theres anyone out there with python experience and likes a challenge. Just let me know and I'll get the relevant Wav files over to you.Regards John

Guest tonyc

John, I wrote a small program in Python. It was called autoweather and , in order to write it, I spent a lot of time on the Python forum. Those guys were very helpful and provided me with code examples of how to do different things.tony

Hi Tony........thanks for that.I've just downloaded it so I can take a peek at the py file (if you don't mind).I'm curious as to how you've structured it, its a shame I can't use it!! ........being a mac guy means I can't use VOLNAV.Do you happen to have a link for the PYTHON furum you used?many ThanksJohn

Guest tonyc

John, I will look for the link and get back to you. It's been a long time, but if you look at the source code it should be fairly clear. also, FLY2 will not accept anything beyond version 1.6. I did have to read up on basic python, and then the rest was fairly easy--again with a lot of help from very knowldeable Python users, especially those who know how to do database "search" tasks. My file should have the source code. If not, I'll be happy to send it to you. tony