Sign in to follow this  
Guest dajackman

Pilatus PC-12 Autopilot Question

Guest dajackman

After paradoxbox's Pilatus thread, I gave her a few quick flights. I have a few problems/questions.What is the trick to using the autopilot to chance altitude? I attempted to descend by reducing the setting to the alt. I wanted. I then change the VS setting to about -500. But the Pilatus wanted to climb. After climbing for about 1000 feet she finally started the expected decent. Is this normal? Seems like it took too long to adjust the trim or something.Other question is how do you shut her down? I had to pull the emergency fuel lever to get the engines to stop. Maybe there is something I missed.Would like to find a fix for these. Thanks again for your help.

Guest paradoxbox

There is a fix for the pilatus, make sure you download it! It's in the libarary, just search for pilatus fix.RE the autopilot, I haven't experienced the same thing as you. Make sure you set the vertical speed to engage, and make sure you've preselected the altitude. Once both the VSPEED arm and alt sel buttons are set, it should immediately attempt to climb or descend at the rate you specified.The problems you're having may be related to the poor state of the pilatus before the fix was made for it- not sure though. Flies beautifully for me !

G'day,Win 98SE and a fresh install. No Pilatus fixes installed.I took a quick flight in the Pilatus to check out the AP.The following observations were made.1. With AP ON and ALT HOLD engaged.A) Double clicking on the rate setting knob toggles between altitude select and vertical speed select. Left/right mouse clicks adjust settings Decrease/Increase.:( Set altitude first , then vertical speed; arming is automatic , ( for climb and descent )C) As soon as you select a vertical speed the aircraft will start going to the new set altitude. On attaining the new altitude the AP with ALT Hold will now hold the new altitude.2. With AP ON but this time with ALT HOLD NOT ENGAGEDa) If a descent to a lower altitude is selected then same as above.:( If a higher altitude is selected and new vertical speed selected the aircraft will start climbing to the new altitude BUT THE ARMING IS NOT AUTOMATIC. ( YOU MUST MANUALLY ARM THE CONTROLLERS SETTINGS ). iF YOU DON'T THE AIRCRAFT WILL CONTINUE CLIMBING ABOVE THE SELECTED ALTITUDE.If manually armed then on reaching the new altitude ALT HOLD automatically engages.I couldn't reproduce the effects you were describing. The system works fine for me.Cheers,Roger

Guest Shalomar

Donny AKA ShalomarFly 2 ROCKS!!!I love the Pilatus, if I could own a plane and purchasing/operating costs were not an issue I would pick it. Though in the sim I am partial to piston twins cuz of the challenge of single engine work.There are definitely remaining problems with the Pilatus. The fix mainly had to do with the flight model and WHL file. I have a list on the Pilatus under The topic FlyTwoBugs in the Wickiweb.The condition lever is a biggie. In addition to the problem described, ocasionally during use in Persistant World the throttle overspeeds and sometimes not enough power is available even for taxi. Switching to the B200 and back usually does the trick if that occurs. But even with the engine shut down the prop spins slowly in exterior view. And if you pull the fuel cutoff then reenter in Persistent World the engine will start as soon as you cycle the fuel cuttoff even though the master and start switches are off.As for the autopilot, it was suggested in a previous thread that if you still have problems with capturing altitudes in VS mode following proper procedures, you might "help" by power changes as you near your target altitude. The autopilot was said to have trouble with transitions from more than 1500 FPM in either direction. I usually climb and descend to my target using the IAS hold with very few problems. I only did VS select to test it for the bug report.Alejandro said he is working on further improvements and had purchased the operating manual for the PCXII. I haven't flown it much lately, (maybe my hangar is TOO full) but it holds a place near and dear to my heart.Best Regards, Donny:-wave

Guest dajackman

Thanks guys. I played around a little more tonight. I had a little better luck if I set the New ALT first, then change the VS setting. That worked pretty well except once. Descended from 5500 to 2500, she didn't level out till about 2200. Not sure whats going on. Anyway, I guess I'm getting there. I did install the fix as suggested above.I must say I am starting to really like this thing. Hope I can figure her out.Thanks again!

Guest dajackman

Cool, that sounds like it should help me. Thanks. I'll play around a little more tonight.Thanks!