Sign in to follow this  
Guest Scorpio47

error messages when leaving FLy II

Guest Scorpio47

I have reinstalled my Fly II package a few days ago after not having flown in Fly II for years.After a few attempts I was able to install it from the original CD, I then used the patch to upgrade to version 210 and that seems to be OK.However, I have a few questions and problems and someone here might be able to help:When I jump into the cockpit of any plane the scenery appears in strange colors like a rainbow, in particular the runways are greenish and water is more or less white. Also there is a constant flicker....When I leave the program I get to error messages. THe first reads "runtime exception code c0000005 (EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION) at address 63554F7E. File winrun.cpp Line 152.@after clicking OK I get another message telling me that the program fly2.exe was terminated abnormally or something to that avail...My setup is as follows:WIndows XP Home Edition with SP2 installedATI Radeon 9800 Pro graphics boardLatest version of DirectX 9.0c installed I can only use version 7 from the graphics menu, with 8 or 8 T&L it is unuseable!The latest Catalyst driver from ATI is also installed. (just downloaded it yesterday...)Perhaps someone can give me a hint on where to look for solutions or perhaps even has one for me.Thank you and have fun with a great simulation game.Juergen

Guest HeliFLYer

Hi Juergen,I can only give some common hints1. use the latest FLY!II version (Patch to 250). If you have the European FLY!II version, then make a complete reinstall from CD, Patch Update4 to 210, Patch to 250. REad Ken Salters help in the FAQ.!!!Do not fire FLY! between the install steps!!!2. Have a look into "First Time FLY!ers - PLEASE READ" and the FLY! FAQ at the top of this forum3. Search the FLY! forum for Radeon 9800, there has been discussed a lot in the past. Also one post in the FAQ.Someone might be give more specific help, this is just my 2c.RegardsGeorg HeliFLYer EDDW

Guest Scorpio47

Danke Georg!That might help already. However, I cannot find anything like a patch to 250. The highest number I could find was 230 and that was not a file...Could you give me a link on where to find this patch?I'll browse through the forum a bit more and perhaps I'll find some tips and how to proceed further.Thank you for your kind help!Best wishesJuergen

Guest Eagle

I believe Georg meant patch to 240. I don't think there is a patch to 250, but if there is I would like to get it.The 240 patch is Fly2Patch240.zip and you should be able to find it in the FlyII/Patch folder.

Hello Juergen,Check the Fly! FAQ thread at the top of this forum. There is a very detailed post from Ken Salter that explains the patching process. He does make one mistake, however. There is no 250 patch - it's the 240 patch. It's designation is 2.50.240, which is where some of the confusion comes from. All of the patches are available right here in the File Library of Avsim. Do not use any of the links in the FAQ - they were created back when Avsim used a different domain, so they are not functional now. The listing of programs and downloads is still correct - just write down their IDs to make it easier to locate them in the library.As far as your video situation, open the render.ini file in the System folder with a text editor, such as Notepad. Change this line to read as follows: vertexIndexFormat=0.That may resolve some of your video issues.Important: After finishing the patch sequence to level 240, open the Aircraft folder and delete all HST files before starting Fly! II again. Once the sim is running, go to the Aircraft, Options... menu and set all Trim settings to 1 and all Exponential settings to 100%. You'll need to do this in turn for every aircraft you have.There are many wonderful updates, fixes, and add-ons available - too numerous to mention in this post; but, I would suggest two aircraft fixes right away - some flight characteristic patches by Rob Young. He developed these fixes early on for the Flyhawk and Pilatus - they are available in the File Library or from Real Air Simulations.Because of some specific video issues with Radeon cards, it may be necessary to uninstall Fly!II and reinstall while removing the video update files during the patch sequence. These built-in video driver updates were designed for nVidia chips. Let us know if the change to your render.ini helps. Also, it's always a good idea to rerun the DirectX update, if you've recently updated your video drivers.

Randall Rocke

Guest Scorpio47

Hello Georg:your message really helped me to solve the issue! Thank you!I found the Patch you mentioned (it is called 240 not 250, but seems to be the last one) after changing the link given in the beginners forum topic (that one is for ftp and does give me an error). I installed it and changed one setting in the render.ini file and voila 0 it works now.The only problem I have left now is a brownish sky and water surface. But that can probably be solved by some of the files available here on Avsim.So, thank you again and God bless you and yours!J

Guest Scorpio47

Hi Randall:thank you very much for your help. It really solved all my problems except one: the color of the water surfaces and of the sky...Even after installing a few of the ini files from the libraries it seems that the color of the water is always identical with that of the sky. At least it is not greenish brown as it was without the skies.ini file installed. It seems to me that the render.ini file is really the solustion to all problems related to the ATI card(s).I have not yet reinstalled everything from scratch, but it still seems to work as is.Thank you for your efficient help and supportBest wishes to you and yours!J

Jurgen,The sky color can be easily changed with some of the great sky.ini files available in the library. As far as the water color, it does reflect, somewhat the color of the sky... :-)There also some great water adjustments available which allows for some very realistic, moving textures.

Randall Rocke

Guest lucizeta

Hello Jurgen,these are some file sky.ini in AVSIM library:blueskyv1.zipbrightsky.zipreal_sky3.zipskyfire20.zipI like particolary skyfire20.zip in the evening, flying at the top of clouds broken, as you can see in some images.Don't forget italian scenery by Daniele Tona.http://www.danieletona.com/http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/123373.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/123374.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/123375.jpg

Guest Scorpio47

Thank you Georg, Randall and Luciano, for your very efficient help and support!This has helped me to get my system up and running like a breeze now. I have done a full re-install based on the guidelines in the beginners' thread, then I have tweaked the render.ini file along the lines given in various threads abnout the Radeon cards, and everything now runs smoothly and flawlessly. Thank you all!Luciano, thank your for the really nice pictures. Would it be too much to ask you to give some more information on which add-on corresponds to which picture, in particular the water textures, and where these add-ons can be found and downloaded?Danke, mille grazie, and thank you!Best wishes to all of you. Enjoy the virtual skies in Fly and elsewhere....Juergen

Guest lucizeta

Hello Juergen,the file about animation water is "fly!II VFR ocean" by Andy Dale.Put all files in ART folder; if you haven't ART folder you must create it in main directory of FLY!II ( ...FLY!II/ART ) and then change in fly.iniwaterTilingDensity=2All images about sky are with "skyfire20.zip" in the evening.The sceneries with water are with ELba VFR by Daniele Tona.You can find all in AVSIM library.Thanks for your interest.Luciano - LIME

Guest Scorpio47

Grazie Luciano,for the file names and further information. I have downloaded all files now and should be able to reproduce your settings.Thanks again and many happy landingsJ

Guest Scorpio47

Danke Georg!with your and Randall's and Luciano's help I am up and running now and everything seems to be fine. I tried to change the screen resolution in the fly.ini file to 1280 and 1024 (which is my setting here), but it does not want to accept it. In the settings window there is no indication and when I push the button to start the simulation program, there is a short flicker an I am back to the desktop. (This setting worked before with Directx7 though...)Luciano has posted some really nice pictures and given me the file names for the add-on he uses. That should bring me up to the desired level on the graphics side.I have also donated to get the ROTW DVD-1 sent to me and they promised to post it next week after the vacation season in France I guess.I have also visited the site and the forum at simvol.org and that is really impressive! As I have no problems with French that site will certainly be one of my favorites for anything related to Fly!II ;)Thank you again for your help and support and many hapy landings.J