Sign in to follow this  
Guest dajackman

Terrascene 2 Downloading needed files

Guest dajackman

I remember some changes where Terrascene downloads the files it needs. I can't seem to find that thread. I am having issues downloading files from wingswithwires.com. Anyone know if this server is outdated and should I be using another? Thanks for the help as always!

I haven't attempted to render any TerraScene in the last few months, as the back-bone of the TS system for US users was the USGS Geological Survey. Before the close of May, the USGS shut down the old data sources, as they are going to replace them with new types - these will be incompatible with the TerraScene conversion system, unless someone can redesign or recode TS to handle the new types of data.. This refers to the FTP access, which is used by TerraScene.I had begun the long process of downloading all of the old data, but the FTP access was shut down before I could get more than a 1/4th of it. I then discovered that the HTML access was still up - so, whenever I've had a few moments, I've been downloading each segment of data manually and recreating the folder heirarchy that TS recognizes. I'm praying that I'll be able to get it all safely to a backup drive before it's all shut down forever.In the meantime, TS shouldn't work at all in the normal fashion, as the USGS FTP access it would be looking for is gone. However, your comments about wingswithwires concerns me - I don't have any of the digital elevation data that wingswithwires provides. This site graciously agreed to host that data through an arrangement with Todd Klaus when the USGS dumped it a few years ago. I would think that the wingwithwires data would still be available and that the problems you are having relate to the USGS shutdown - at least, that's what I'm hoping! I'd hate to go to all this work and then not have the enhanced elevation modeling!

Randall Rocke

Guest dajackman

Is there anything I can do to help troubleshoot this for you. Do you know of any logfiles that TS generates that you could look at?

Guest roland_lfor

Does the USGS data missing concern only elevation ?In this case you can use SRTM datas here :ftp://e0mss21u.ecs.nasa.gov/srtm/and create only the 2D with Terrascene an import the 2D + elevation in FlySlice.- roland -* ROTW member *

I believe that the tsout.txt file is where issues are recorded during rendering and slicing, but I have never had an issue before. When people were having problems, they quoted the report of that our another text file.One quick way to be sure of this would be to do a quick test area somewhere, a 1/4 tile, and turn off relief shading, as that is the only thing that the DEM 7.5 files from wingswithwires provided. Then only the USGS would be accessed for the DEM250 (1 degree elevations), DLG, and LULC data. If TS then failed, you know it's the USGS that's the problem, and that's probably the case right now.

Randall Rocke

Roland,Supposedly, ALL of the USGS data is now gone, or at least, now unavailable through the TS autodownload system. The wingswithwires data is only the high-res elevation data (DEM 7.5). This data allowed USGS-generated scenery to have relief shading for a beautiful three dimensional landscape. I'm hoping that it's still available, with the other USGS data being the issue.

Randall Rocke