Sign in to follow this  
Guest tonyc

for those of you shopping for a new video card.....

Guest tonyc

My amd 2500 and fx5600 worked just fine for FLY2. But more speed is addictive, so I went out and purchased a 6600gt which is presumably the the standard in speed vs price. Immediately, after I purchased it, both FLY2 and Fs9 crashed the computer. So, naturally, I looked at the various forums for help. "you need a more powerful power supply", they would say. So I went from my 400w to a 550w supply. NOthing. The sims locked up. "You need more cooling", they would say. So, I took out the heat sink, lapped it and added better heatsink compound. NOthing. "You have conflicting drivers", they would say. So, I played with , who knows, hours and hours of changing everyconceivable driver. NOthing."The card must be defective", they would say. So, I sent it back, lost 15% plus shipping. Got the new one and, horror, same thing happened. "you must have a conflict with the "gart" driver, they would say. So I removed the AGP gart driver. NOthing. " I got to the point where I no longer simmed. How could I? And besides, the few minutes that FLY2 would run, the fps did not appear any higher than the old fs5600! One day I got this great idea to look for an older card, like the fx5900, on EBAY. I looked and just received a used PNY 5900 card. I also read that these cards can be easily modified to become fx5950ultras. So, today, after a few minutes, I found myself with a fast, fx5950ultra for $80 dollars. FLY2 purrs on it--over 20 in thick weather, and over 50 in clear-- and , of course, no more lock ups. I am happy again. Oh, I will be selling my xfx 6600gt on Ebay. I think I'll get more than what I paid for the 5900!. The maxim that more is not necessarily better sure was true for me.Incidentally, I was beginning to think that there was something wrong with me, especially when everyone out there claimed to have no trouble with the fx6600....It may very well be for newer games. But for sims like FLY2, be careful...tony

Guest ben_

TonySorry to read about your problems and I'm glad you have got yourself going again.For those who might be worried about the gforce card, I must say that my system works fine (both sims) - ( 6600 not 6600gt)P4 3GHz, 512M RAMGigabyte NVIDIA GeForce 6600 256 M RAM PCI bus 1, driver 77.72Ben