Sign in to follow this  
Roger Mazengarb

Please explain..........????

G'day all, The forums been pretty quiet as of lately so I thought I'd try a little experiment.Last night ( well this morning actually 0200 ) I uploaded an aircraft to the library and went off to bed. Got up this morning, had breakfast and logged on to Avsim at midday. The upload has not yet been publicised on the Avsim front page. Just out of curiosity I went searching to see if the file was actually available and to my surprise found that it was and that it had already 47 downloads. I was expecting a zero download ( I'm not complaining - just pleasantly surprised but also confused :-) )1. Do simmers have some 6th sense that tells them there's a file to upload?.2. Perhaps it's tom-tom drums, smoke signals or some form of bush telegraph they've developed - a new use for cell phones perhaps.3. Or could it be that they are so diciplined as to routinely scour the library every day? - personally I'm not that diciplined.Cheers,Roger

Guest chezz

I've noticed it too that it's pretty quite lately, almost daily I checked the forums, I guess everybody is just busy FLY2ying....

Guest tonyc

It's forum fatigue, Roger. I am so busy on work related matters that I scan the forums quickly , but don't have the energy to engage in anything other scan.I do this with all of my favorite sites, and I do check the file section as well. Tony

Hi Roger and all,I usually look over the library and forums for MSFS and FLYII every morning while having my coffee. I have several more I check also. It doesn't take that long and it helps me get going.Your new Cheetah looks great. I'll be trying it out soon. Thanks Roger , for all you have done and are doing to keep FLYII alive. You have certainly done a lot and continue giving as well!Lets hear it for Roger!THANKS!!Take care all,Earl

Hi Roger,You made a fine plane for us, no doubt about that!The downloadfigures, however, are far to optimistic.When clicking the download-button in the lib. the download does not start rightaway ( in Windows XP , wich most of us probably are using).On top of our screen appears a text telling us the download has been blocked for security-reasons and we can choose to download (or not) the file by means of a little dialog-box.Choosing the Download-Now option the counter counts a second time.So, it`s probably wise to take about 50% as real downloads.After almost everyone having installed XP service-pack-2, downloadfigures are doubled.RegardsLeen

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

G'day Leen,Good to see a post from you.If what you are saying is true then let's have three cheers for Microsoft ... Hiphip .......... :-)Ok, now that I've vented my spleen. Have you actually tested this yourself on a file in the Avsim library and checked that the download counter increases by 2? I can't check because I don't use Win XP. Still using Win 98SE and don't see any valid reason for updating. I don't know what in the library makes the download counter tick over but even with win XP you are only pressing the library button once? Is that correct?It was not the actual number of downloads per se that intrigued me but rather the fact that people were actually downloading without any notification from the library (on the Avsim front page) or from me in the forum.I consider myself as an avid supporter of Fly! II yet I don't religiouly search the library every day as a matter of course.I'll have to demote myself in the rankings :-) as evidently there are a substantial number of people that do.I just couldn't rationalise it in my mind.The excessive numbers obviously didn't help.Thanks for your explaination.Cheers,Roger.

> Have you actually tested>this yourself on a file in the Avsim library and checked thatYES I did.I even wrote a mail to the library-management abouth this phenomena.They confirmed this to be happening and agreed the counter not to be reliable.>the download counter increases by 2? YES it does >the download counter tick over but even with win XP you are>only pressing the library button once? Is that correct?After clicking the Download-button in the lib. the counter ticks over once.Pressing the download button in the dialog box , after having the message " Download is blocked for secuity-reasons" the counter gives another tick.In other words the first download is interrupted ( cancelled) by the security-system and after pressing the download now button the download is started and counted again.Choose Microsoft for Maxi-problems , hiphip, hiphip, hiphip, uhhhhhhhhhhh.Cheers Leenps.New repaints and models are listed and showed on the What`s New page first.Placing a new file in the library , automaticly adds this to the Whats New page.The Front page probably comes later.After uploading a file , this file is placed in the library manually and when it`s there it`s on the Whats New page too.The early downloads must have been done by people monitoring the What`s New Page.

forumlogopaintmod.png

Visit Flybike-Paints

G'day Leen,Thanks for the confirmation.I wonder if that means that you are using a download manager such as "Getright" that the same applies and the counter ticks over each time the manager starts downloading a section of file? or does the counter only tick over at the start of the file?? Common sense dictates that the counter should only tick over at the actual completion of a download (not at the selection to download)Anyway you look at it, it is a case of poor programing.Very, very interesting.Cheers.Roger

Hi Roger,NO ,I do not use a download-manager.Just Internet Explorer.But as I said before , the first attempt to download is cancelled by the security-system in Internet Explorer.The second ( allowed ) attempt is counted once again.Leen

forumlogopaintmod.png

Visit Flybike-Paints

Hi Roger,I've been checking in about once a day to see if there's any activity, but I've been too busy with my job lately to have much time for Fly! or development work. I'm guessing that it will be January before I can really enjoy Fly! again.Some thing's I'm working on:1. I have some more DB Updates for navigation and approaches. This time, they're for some of the Canadian airports that Wayne recently produced scenery for - I may be able to upload them before November is out.2. TerraScene has taken a hit for a lot of U.S. users with the demise of the original default USGS data. I'm trying to recover and store this data into a new computer system, then continue TS production, uploading the necessary files with projects.Looks like you've been busy!

Randall Rocke

Hi Roger and Leen,I can confirm that Win98SE counts only one and XP SP2 counts 2 for what it is worth. I just ried downloading from 2 separate computers. I never knew this before. Oh well, you never know what knowledge and learning you'll pick up in these forums!The Cheetah is great! There should be thousands of downloads Roger.Thanks again!Take care guys.Earl

Guest tonyc

I've got two aircrafts that need to be finished, but, as we always say, family comes first...tony

Guest ben_

RogerThe other thing I have really not adjusted to, is with the new AVSIM forum names in the drop-down list. If Fly is not the first forum, I find it very hard to find the Terminal Reality...The Fly General Discussion Forum - it's not seen when I first use the Drop-Down, then I hit the scrollbar and it automaticaly scrolls to the bottom and it's STILL not there, so I have to scroll carefully a line at a time and then (if I'm lucky :-) ) I'll select the correct line.Ben

Guest Steve Brown

First thanks so much for this wonderful little plane. She looks a dream :-) Sadly I dont have Fly2 anymore so I cant Fly her :-( Plus Im no longer hooked up to the internet as I have other interests developing. Im now at my local internet cafe to see what Im missing!I have known too about the counter problem with XP and DAP (Download Accelerator) downloading problem counting twice. With XP you can stop this by altering your internet settings. When the bar pops up again, check the help, and follow the instructions to switch it off.Anyway, all the best to all of you, your a great bunch.I will try to pop in from time to time.Steve BrownFounder of the Air Space ProjectPS. Website is now down for good!

G'day Steve,Thanks for the kind words. You will be sorely missed on the forum but we all have different and changing interests so I wish you well in whatever endevours you embark upon.PS. give my regards to Billie :-)Cheers,Roger