Sign in to follow this  
Guest Shalomar

What made me give up?

Guest Shalomar

Donny AKA ShalomarFly 2 ROCKS!!!I regret to say that FLY II has not been on my HD for months.The final blow was a database issue which ruined IFR and C4TO completely.Anyone else have all their ILS's skewed off???Ever teleport from France to USA with the DVD?Much as I hate to blame ROTW... I'm getting down to my last theory here.CAN it be duplicated? Solved? I hope,,, hope...Best Regards, Donny:-wave

I will assume you are suspecting the ILS database to be the culprit, Donny. I myself do not have the ROTW DVD, so I am not sure just what I might be able to do. Did the DVD provide the patches already in place, or did you have to run each of them separately? The only way to know for sure is to start one last time (I know, that bites), try each in steps to see if you can find the bad one. Unfortunately, the Fly! Series was always plagued with these types of problems, and the only sure method to solve it was to do the above steps. The ILS problem may simply be due to fact you have a starting airport in Europe, then teleport to USA... wide variance in MAG headings... something Fly! II may not have been coded to correct in the right manner from the onset. Not sure. Anyone else with an idea on this little snag?Cheers,Ken Wood :-sun1http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/bannernewkw.jpgGateway 700X; Intel P4 2.4GHz; 512MB RAM; NVIDIA Ti4200 4X AGP 128MB; SB Audigy; Thrustmaster TopGun Fox 2 Pro Shock

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

Guest Azzurro

Hello Donny,I have never experienced any problem with databases, although I am working very often on them: Dafif updates every month, plus various tests for introducing new waypoints (several thousands), modifications on ILS, VOR's, airports, runways, comms, etc.So I cannot imagine what problem could occur while using ROTW databases.Did you try to replace your databases by the last Dafif issues?Please let us know if this can solve your problem, we will be happy to help you.

G'day Donny,I teleport all around the world and don't have any problems like you are encountering. Pity you didn't raise yout concerns earlier. If Fly! II is off your hard drive then why not simply reinstall and if you have suspicions about any add-ons just istall one by one and see how each add-on effects Fly! II. This sort of problem is not unknown with all flight sims. You are the only person to have this problem so it may be something that you have done (inadvertently or otherwise) to the databases.From memory I believe that if you are going to store scenery on any other drive then it has to be in the root directory of the drive.For anyone to really be able to assist I think you will have to be a bit more specific as to just exactly what your problem is.Hang in thereCheers,Roger

Guest Shalomar

Donny AKA ShalomarFly 2 ROCKS!!!I have actually had these concerns for a while, and been in contact also. George Heliflier was one of them.Basically, my ILS acts as if all runway headings are the same. This is most obvious in EFIS aircraft. Impossible to do ILS.This also affects c4TO, though it happened before. Honestly, I rarely teleported before but the combo of BFU in Alaska, ROTW scenery in France and my "home" area around KABE was too much. So it might have happened withouyt the DVD. I do notice it got fixed once by teleporting to KSEA from KABE and doing a round trip to Vancouver. For BFU.This problem also affects the vector map- frequency, lat long etc for all navaids are all zeroes.The only database changes I ever made were for the ROTW "community" in France. Their files, though this has happened without adding that scenery. It could be just flying too close to a border...Thank you for your concern. One of the biggest reasons FLY is off my drive is actually space- 5 is a chunk out of 15 but I am moving up.Best Regards, Donny:-wave

G'day Donny,Yep I can see that this would cause all your grief with ILS and C4TO.This begs the question - were your database files OK but Fly! II was reading them wrong. ie. A corruption witin Fly! II and nothing wrong with the actual databases. The fact that you said that it fixed itself once would tend to lead me to that was the case.Any corruption within Fly! II the first culprit has to be the HST files, closely followed by SIT files and finally the Default.key file.I hope you have NOT been using persistant world mode. Rich virtually admitted that it was buggy. I think someone came up with the workaround that if you selected back to the Cessna prior to exiting Fly! II then the problem was no longer there but personally I still don't use persistant world.Your upgrading to a bigger hard drive is a great idea and when you reinstall Fly! II I hope all your problems disappear.Wouldn't want you to miss out on my latest project....ideal for Bush flying :-)Cheers,Rogeredit: This is an early pic and a few technical wrongs with the model have since been corrected.

Guest Shalomar

Donny AKA ShalomarFly 2 ROCKS!!!Yes I did- did use persistant world. I love the feeling of "she's right where we parked her, cap'n!" You get the same effect in FS9 by selecting "previous flight" as your default.I will be airborn by the weekend, getting a "new" tower....FLYing that isBest Regards, Donny:-wave

Guest Colins2

Hey Roger,What a choice for the latest creation :-)Wonderful!CheersColin

Guest Shalomar

She will be the second aphib for FLY II!!!Merry Christmas and a Survivable New Year:-beerchug

G'day Collin,If "Tim the tool man Taylor" "urgh urgh urgh" was to take up flying then this aircraft would be his first choice. :-)1340 cubes (600 HP @ 2250 rpm) of raw grunt power just a couple of feet in front of the cockpit. It's the Harley of aircraft, a real man's aircraft, not for sissy Cessna pilots. :-)There I've gone and put half the forum offside with that comment :-lol( only joking guys :-) you should know better by now than to take an Aussie too seriously - especially me.).Alas most remaining Otters have been modified to take one of those funny type engines that emit a high pitched whine. (PT 6 )The real afficionado's of the marque have upgraded to the Polish PZL radial ( a whopping 1000 HP ) - the mind boggles.Seriously the Otter is built like a tank, has great STOL properties and is an excellent workhorse. De Havilland Canada really excelled with both the Beaver and the Otter.The Otter had a longer production life than the DC-3466 Otters were built between 1951-1967.If anyone can pass on any technical info on the Otter it would be greatly appreciated. I have been supplied with the FAA Type Certificate Data Sheet for the Otter which has a fair amount of info but I'm always looking for more.Cheers,RogerI loved my Norton Commando :-lol

Guest Shalomar

FLYing? It's cool. Trillions of birds and insects can't be wrong.Like my new signature? Now if only I can get it to the bottom.Saved myself from a "faux paux" by not calling your handiwork a "beaver".Looking forward to seeing you on POTW SOON.Merry Christmas and a Survivable New Year:-beerchug

Guest paradoxbox

I've heard of, and personally experienced this problem before.I believe it was solved by reinstalling, but also try adding some of the patches, see how that affects it.But reinstalling definately fixed the problem, now I'm ILS'ing all over the place.

Guest Shalomar

This problem has reapeared thru multiple installs even after a reformat. Hopefully a new rig will be lucky.FLYing? It's cool. Trillions of birds and insects can't be wrong.