Sign in to follow this  
Dondo

So, Terrascene...work or not?

Been messing around in Fly!II again and am wanting to get some Terrascene scenery for Colorado and Washington state as well as some others. Read a few posts in here about the data not being with the USGS anymore. If I try to render any of these places, (including elevation), whats gonna happen? I really miss my Seattle and surrounding area's scenery... :(Also, I saw once upon a time some updated Terrascene textures, are those still around, payware/freeware?Basically, whats the status of Terrascene and Fly!II?Merry Christmas fellow Fly'ers!Dondo

Dondo,Considering the situation with the USGS, I'm not sure. I haven't been able to do any work in this area recently because of a tough work schedule. I'll be off after Christmas and will run some tests.

Randall Rocke

Guest Dan G Martin

Hi there Randall in working on stuff for "the other sim" I seem to remember that the above data is no longer free (it no longer seems to be available). So I do beleve that Tod's links will no longer work and that of course is a big problem if one want's to create some new terrain using Tod's tools. BTW have you tried to contact me? As I have not received any messages through the "private message" system here at Avsim. Dan.

Dan,Got your message and your e-mail. I'm buried in Christmas duties with my job, so I haven't had time to sit down and craft that first message. I'll be making contact directly by Christmas Day, which will be the first full day off I've had in a month.Merry Christmas, Dan!

Randall Rocke

Guest Dan G Martin

10-4 on not haveing the time to do anything been there and done that!! Dan Martin

Guest Dan G Martin

Hi there Dondo at least for me(I have a fair amount of old dems and shape files)I can get it to work but when Terrascene goes to get any new info from the USGS site that I don't have it's a no go due to the link being invalid. As the Data it needs is no longer available (for free at least). Sorry for the bad news. Dan Martin.

Dan,I agree with your assessment. However, before I got buried with my job, I was successfully downloading some of the data manually (still for free at that time) from the USGS by not using the ftp access. If that still functions (I'll let you guys know), I'll keep going till I have it all.If it doesn't, then I'll purchase it so I have a permanent resource and provide the files every time I make a new render package.

Randall Rocke

Guest Dan G Martin

Gee Randall I wounder just how much the data would cost and if the data would be in the same format?. Dan Martin

Avcomware -- Sounds like a pretty good plan. Hope the gentleman catches this thread. I'd be interested in helping make copies for anyone that would want them.Dondo

I believe this was Frank Racis, the creator of the wonderful "Globe Tiles" program for podding scenery in the days of Fly1/TS1. I also believe he packaged the 7.5 min DEM files, which were the first to be removed by the USGS for free access.I was one of those who purchased the 10-disc set. Shortly after I received them, Todd Klaus worked out a deal with wingswithwires and set up TS to download the data from them, so I set them aside. I went hunting for that envelope of discs lately and haven't been able to find them anywhere - all I can think of is my wife got a little over-zealous cleaning around the computer area! If wingwithwires file access is also shut down, then we'll need to get the 7.5 elevation data from another sources or someone will need to copy a set of Frank's discs.

Randall Rocke

Yes, these are the original textures developed for TS1 and Fly!1 - they've been improved and repackaged. They are excellent and can be used in Fly!II - however, they are low resolution (15 meters/pixel) and don't match the Fly!II resolution (7.5 m/p). The textures for Fly!II can still be extracted from Fly!II using the TS2 program.The main problem we're facing now is to recover or gain access to the USGS data that allows the textures to be placed properly.

Randall Rocke

Hi, Randall and everyone.>The main problem we're facing now is to recover or gain access to the USGS data