Sign in to follow this  
Fall_guy

FLY Survey! Whats the Story

G'day Andrew,I hadn't done it for quite a while so I just tested to make sure that the 240 patch hadn't upset things. Works like a charm :-)The only changes required weregamepixx=1600gamepixy=1200AskUserForGraphicSettings=0And there I was flying in 1600 x 1200 resolution.Yes the cockpits require some graphic work. If the front panel is wider than 1600 pixels them only the side and lower panels need rework.Whats a GF7800GT card? and what operating system and driver are you using? People will need to know that to help you.Can your graphics card support the higher resolutions?If it can then I'm sure it will only be a small matter of getting the settings right. I'm using win 98SE with an Nvidia fx5900 based card with 45-23(I think - not sure) drivers, so I sorry I can't help you with that.Cheers,Roger

Guest tonyc

Very nice, Roger. You've come a long way. I am still working on a new career, one of consulting and one in which I help folks in the developing world with their energy needs. It's simply taking my mind off FLY for the moment. I do, however, monitor the forums daily. Incidentally, I know that you use truespace. Otherwise I'd offer my files of the emb120....and the l-120.tony

Guest detector

I played around a little with fly.ini and render.ini, but no luck. The GeForce 7800 GT (256MB) is Nvidia`s next best, and I am using the 82.12 drivers. 82.12 are the first drivers that solved a bad MSFS problem, but they are still buggy, flashing here and there. So I supect both my render.ini and the drivers to be the issue. The 7800 is a PCIe card by the way, and OS is WinXP Home SP2 (32-bit), AMD 64 X2 4400 processor.Darn, all this top hardware and it can`t run an old sim :(

Guest tonyc

I spent many months with the flashing problem, video corruption, and lock ups, ie. blue screens, etc, etc. I changed video cards, I installed and uninstalled many, many drivers until one day I removed one set of ram memory . I had 1024 megs of ram divided into two 512meg of two brands, Micron and Kingston. When I removed one set from my ASus a7n8x , all my flashing and crashes went away from FLY2 and msfs9. I suspect that in my case it was a motherboard, video card and ram incompatibility...somehow...tony

I am going to take this opportunity while we are mentioning clouds to beg Jak Fearon to please let us have the cloudsets that HITW was working on for FlyII. Just look at these and tell me you wouldn't buy them...5.jpg11.jpg4.jpg8.jpg

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Guest ben_

ZaneHaving Jak working on the Fly2 sky environment would be G-R-E-A-T !Ben

I sent Jak a PM asking about it, those that are interested (especially in purchasing the HITW FlyII cloud/sky package) please let Jak know. Yes, we are a fringe group but it's a shame to see this beautiful work just sitting on a hard drive when we would really be appreciating it.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

G'day Zane,There might be a fair chance getting Jak to release "Sky! Special Edition" for Fly! II. Not long ago he did make his ground textures available (as payware - $20 ). Quite a few dedicated Fly! II'ers purchased them. Even an avowed freeware simmer like myself (my one and only payware aquisition). I haven't used them yet but it was for the day that I might get involved in scenery production. A few nicely worded begging requests just might sway him over. We have nothing to lose and everything to gain.Cheers,Roger

G'Day Roger,I got those textures about the day Jak released them and posted some screenshots taken from the five or so tiles I Terrascened. Never got to making more tiles but fortunately I made the ones I Fly most. Gotta get that DVD of the Terrascene data so I can make more since the gov site doesn't work like it used to for Terrascene. I figure if enough of us beg Jak he might be persuaded to offer it to us. Let's just keep our fingers crossed. Who'd figured this kind of interest six years after a release.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

My reply was to John Wimbush who is solicting frank opinions ("don't be shy .."). Nowhere does it say you have to be current user of FLY2. There is nothing confrontational in my post, if it is - it's in your head only. I suggest you stop reading my posts on this forum (that should not be hard - once a year?) since you have nothing to offer but your own venom and prejudice. :-madMichael J.

Guest ben_

ZaneI haven't attemptes TS in a long time; however, an an easy to use Sky interface would definately be a must have - CAN YOU HEAR US JAK :-) ?Ben

Guest detector

I got 2GB Twinmos ram, and an Asus A8N SLI Premium MB. Rock steady system, but in the past I also had hardware problems, especially unstable graphics cards due to bad ram quality, and sloppy fit between the GPU and cooler.Inspired by Roger`s pic, I checked my LCD`s "stretced mode" (1024x768 to 1280x1024) closer, and it ain`t that bad. Looks dull from cocpit, but scenery looks all right. Actually this mode is flyable. Makes me wish for a LCD with better "upscaling", like today`s HDTV`s. I`ll keep on experimenting with other modes in fly.ini anyway, but currenly Windows does *not* allow Fly II more than 1024x768 for some weird reason.

G'day Andrew,I'm not an expert in these matters but I do remember Rich saying that Fly! II is NOT a windows based program. It is DOS based. It certainly sounds as if you have an LCD screen problem. Is there any way you can disable windows and then try running Fly! II from within DOS? I'm way out of my depth here mate ( just thinking out loud). If I set my windows at 1600 x 1200 and then run Fly! II it will run at 1024 x 768. ie. Fly! II doesn't run at the set windows resolution but at the DOS resolution which is set in Fly.iniIf I set widows to 1024 x 768 , make the three changes to Fly.ini and run Fly! II it runs at 1600 x 1200I'm using a 19" CRT monitor and I think therein lies the difference.Cheers,Roger

Guest tonyc

Roger,I would have my doubts about FLY2 being strictly a Dos program. If that were the case, it would not need direct x. DOS prgrams usually work with the old VESA standand. tony

G'day Tony,You might be right,( I'm often wrong :-) ) but if that were the case then wouldn't Fly! II scale with windows?? Is MSFS 2004 resolution set by windows or by the program?I know that with my Nvidia card it supports multiple monitors and with windows based programm you can have different sections of a program running on different monitors. To achieve that with Fly! II requires the use of Fly!LAN. with 2 computers.Just out of curiosityCan anyone reading this who uses an LCD monitor get Fly! II to work in 1600 x 1200 ?????Cheers,Roger