Sign in to follow this  
Fall_guy

FLY Survey! Whats the Story

Hi Roger,First, does your LCD monitor support 1600x1200? Most I've looked at are 1280x1024.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Guest tonyc

Roger,Fly2 requires dedicated files for each resolution. That is why when a pod is opened there are graphic files references with the *.480 or *.1024 in the DATA folder. these files require an individual graphic screen for each part of the cockpit. In fact, sometime ago there were some cockpits with 1600x 1200 panels, and 1024x724 side views.I am not an expert in how FLY or MSFS manipulate various graphic files, but I suspect that FLY2 never moved up one notch in(easy) resolutions.tony

Guest detector

G`day Roger,I just tried 1600x1200, and Fly II started up this time, but after a few secs I got a black screen and a MS message "DirectX8: Mode not supported". I think you are right about differences between CRT`s and LCD`s, the latter having just one native resolution. Guess I`m stuck with stretching for now.

G'day Andrew,OK that error message just confirmed that your LCD screen doesn't support 1600 x 1200 video mode. If you have the manual for your monitor look up the highest resolution that it supports and use those figures. If you dont have a manual then Google search your monitor and get the info off the web.I know less than nothing about LCD monitors but you are saying that you only have one native resolution? I have been longingly looking at some nice compact lcd monitors but if they only have one resolution then I'll stay with the old steam engine CRT.Cheers,Roger

Guest Mats_Frisk

Hi John!Like:1. Cockpit and panels2. All planes from ROTW and F2FD3. Jures clouds4. System logic and "flight realism*"Dont like:1. The standard Pilatus (I know there are fixes for some problem with it but I still have to many "errors" with it)2. Weather realism/generation (Infometar helps a lot, but not all the way)Would like to have:1. Some new biz jet (!!)2. More realistic ATC, including hearing communication during departures and approaches.3. A new "heavy" from PMDG (but this will probably only be a dream)Finally, FlyII is after all these years one he... of a flightsim!!RegardsMats3.

I am confused about Fly!!, is this a different program than FS9?? I read in the posts that there a lot of great scenery files which I would like ( and have downloaded many of them to a temp folder), but cannot figure out how to put in FS.............most say I need TerraModel (?) and a Beibo (?) main file , to put various files into , but again I do not understand how to get this into the MSFS program?????...............Sure would appreciate someone saying what of how these sceneries can work in FS.........all this started when I wanted to get a scenery of the Kenmore Harbor in Seattle to fly a float up; to Victoria (we will be going there in Aug),,MS has the plane starting on a hill near Seattle, (very difficult to take off from here in a float!!) Many thanks for the help and figuring out what this whole design is RRL!!

G'day Dick,I hate to be the bearer of bad news mate but YES!! FlyII is a flight simulation program by Terminal Reality.FS 9 or FS2004 is a totally different program by Microsoft.The aircraft and sceneries are NOT compatible.Cheers,Roger

Thanks for the heads up!! I hope I did not install some of these sceneries if FS, this program has a bunch of great airport upgrads for small GA airports, wish someone made similar for FS......RRL

G'day Dick,Unfortunately MS2004 has been hijacked by payware developers and the drift has been increasingly towards heavy aircraft (read more complex), possibly to justify the cost. By association this also means the larger airports dominate.There are of course exceptions to the above but in general I think the above is arguably a fair comment. There's no money to be made in "Dogpatch" airport. Fly! II is more biased to the GA scene and thus I feel is a better platform for the hobbyist.Reclaim the skies; get involved and start producing the airports yourself for ms2004. Dare I suggest it, why not install Fly! II on your computer as well (it's only about $10). Use Fly! II for your GA flying and revert back to Ms2004 for the heavies.Whatever you do, have fun and enjoy your simming.Cheers,Roger

hallo Dick Leonard,if you are looking for very nice small airports for GA in FS9, I advise you to look for european airports, especially the norwegian an swedish airports.You`l find them at www.flightsim.no.There is a complete scenery ,mesh,road/railway/bridge/cities/rivers etc for Norway available.All freeware and in a quality equal to MistyFjords.There is only one big disadvantage ,these sceneries are not avaiable for FlyII! wich has defenitely better GA aircraft and more realism.Regards Leen de Jager

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

Thank you for the note, but I am in Tucson Az. and was looking for some of our locaal airports, next month I go back to Minn. for the summer and hope to find small airports around MSP..........flying around fjords is too scary for me!! re: the Fly!!, I am not even sure what this is, do you buy and whole new program like FS?? Then load it up with planes and scenery?? Is it mostly in Europe?? I have so much time and money in this FS, I really don't have time to start another hobby site, ............regards, Dick Leonard

Guest Mats_Frisk

Hi!Some of the scenery, for fs2000 and fs2002, that is available at www.flightsim.no is possible to convert to FlyII via FSIMP. There are some nice little airports in both Sweden and Norway that looks really good after having them converted.Happy Easter!Mats