Sign in to follow this  
Guest rene_35

News from ROTW

Guest rene_35

The ROTW Team held its annual meeting on January 21st, 2005., of coThis is the report of this "congress".------------------------------------------------------------------ 2005 REVIEW:- the group is prolix and released numerous realizations, such as planes, airports, sceneries and tools. Among the most spectacular realizations, we shall remember the ATR with its failures manager and its famous "hotel mode", the creation of Saint Christol's aeronautical village, the starting of the POTW and its coupling with the version 3.1 of Squawkbox, the DC3's first flight with its icing visual management. We shall not forget the sceneries for the Alps or Pyrenees and the common work with F2FD for the Seawind. All that with more and more realistic airports, painting kits, flying lessons. Nothing was forgotten for the biggest satisfaction of those who always believed in Fly! and also the new fans.- the year 2005 was that of two big events: the release of the ROTW DVD in February (221 DVDs burnt and delivered in 2005, and that continues in 2006, already 15 in January) and our very active participation during the Rennes Aeroforum (several thousands of visitors). The DVD realization took us about 3 months and requested all the group in order to have, if possible, a "bug-free" DVD. We were 7 at the Fly.Simvol stand in the Aeroforum, what allowed to show the qualities of our simulatorin solo or controlled flights, IVAO having authorized us to hold the control of Rennes during these 3 days of exhibition.- the magazine Micro-Simulateur has regularly given a lot of coverage to our realizations.- our attempts, with Take Two, to get the free distribution of Fly! had no success, what a pity!OBJECTIVES:The ROTW, after reviewing the other simulators and their envisaged evolutions (FS10, X-Plane, Flightgear) and having noted that the life of Fly! was limited because of its graphic engine which will not be able to use the next 3D video cards and the new instructions which will follow on from this, made the following decisions: - we will not imply ourselves (except individually) in developments of X-Plane. The transfer of our creations would be too much heavy and not much satisfying (designers do not like to remake the same thing). - we will observe the FS evolutions at level of graphics which are its strong point. - BUT ABOVE ALL, we will take an active part in the development of Fly! Legacy, the Chris Wallace's "open source" project,while continuing with creations for Fly!. Yes, Fly! Legacy is a huge project which, in a first step, will be able to use all that was developed for Fly!. So our past and future realizations will not be lost. Already two members of our group work with Chris for a few months (Laurent and Roland) and they will be joined by Jean and Didier in the next few weeks. Then, we will make it change to an autonomous simulator, independent from the Fly!'s structures. This more distant step will require other volunteers from the "C" programmers community. Thus we will be able to make this new simulator take advantage of the state-of-the-art 3D technology, more sophisticated textures and 3D high definition instrument panels while keeping the recognized strong points of Fly! (scrolling, flight model, parametering).THE YEAR 2006:In addition to our work for Fly! Legacy, this year should see the outcome of several addons for Fly! such as: - the single-engine Socata TB10- a new version of the PA19 with a new instrument panel - the single-engine Robin DR400- the Strasbourg airport- the aerodrome of Mende- the Navy base in Saint Mandrier - a much more detailed aerodrome of Annemasse - the Rennes airport like it is today - the extension of the Alps towards north and Italy (2D) - the Jura (2D) - the end of the project "Pyrenees" (2D) - the evolution of Squawkbox towards new communication protocols - Corsica (2D) - a new version of Volnav - a "true" ATC with controlled virtual planes integrated traffic- and whatever will come into our head... We are thinking of doing improvements on our Simvol server and to open two English-language forums: a general one for all our foreign friends, the other one for the developers of Fly! Legacy. Lastly, we work on a new DVD project which would contain the totality of our realizations but also those of the best international designers (planes, sceneries, airports...) If we obtain their agreements, of course. That is what we were anxious to say to you. We proved it in the past (ROTW has existed for 6 years now), Fly! did not die and even it is creating a future for itself. It is necessary to believe in it, the ROTW believes in it and puts a lof of effort into it. ----------------------------------------------------------Then, if you know C progamming and if you want to help Chris and our group to develop Fly Legacy, you are welcome. And, in order to give you an idea of what is a 3D panel, have a look to this preview (small view because avsim limits):http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/140767.jpg

Guest tonyc

REnee,This is fantastic. It's great to see so much dedication and love for FLY!. I ask that you contact mathiew laban at flightsimulatorproject@gmail.comand try to convince him to not rewrite a simulator from scratch, but to get back to FLy legacy. I spoke to him already, but if he hears from others , who knows?I will be looking for the 2006 surprises!tony

If that panel isn't real, with the camera to the side, then it certainly is very impressive !!!L.Adamson

Exactly what I was thinking Larry, it is very impressive. I can't wait to see what new things happen in the coming year for Fly!!

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

G'day Rene,Great news indeed to see ROTW putting its energies behind contributing to the development of "Fly Legacy". This is the biggest news story in flight simming; surely worthy of a mention on the Avsim news page. The example 3D panel is simply stunning! And thats done on current version of Fly! II . The mind boggles at what we are likely to see using Fly! Legacy. Congratulations to all at ROTW on a very successful 2005 and I eagerly await the fruition of everyones efforts with Fly! Legacy.Cheers,Roger

Hello everyone,I would like to add my congratulations and many thanks to ROTW and the other developers who have given us so much since FLYII was released. I was one of the original beta testers and feel in a small way FLYII belongs to me too. I don't have much time and no programs to help with creation, but if testing anything on my antique computer will help, I'll be happy to do what I can.My box: PIII800, 512 SDRAM PC133, Win 98SE, SBPC512 sound card.Thanks again ROTW!EArl BuiceGeorgia, USA

Guest chezz

when they release FLY legacy as a payware I will certainly buy it..exciting news indeed.thanks for sharing.chris_CA

Guest ben_

Fantastic news - thanks for the update.My wish list for anybody with too much time, is to upgrade the default aircraft - example :-) Malibu :-) - Seneca size panel gauges - French Seneca 45deg UP/DOWN viewsSeneca- Windshield icing like the DC3Others ( Well I'm sure you can guess these :-)

Guest Chris Wallace

Fly! Legacy will never be payware...it will always remain free and open-source.Chris WallaceOttawa, Canada

Guest Chris Wallace

Pacha,This is great news that ROTW has decided to remain committed to the Fly! platform with lots of new releases in the pipeline for 2006. Certainly, the ROTW members who have joined the Fly! Legacy development team have been carrying the lion's share of the load for the past months, and I'm looking forward to seeing the continued impact of your talented and enthusiastic team!!Chris WallaceOttawa, Canada

My congratulations and thanks go to the ROTW Team and all others who put in so much time and effort for us all.:-beerchug

Pacha said :- a "true" ATC with controlled virtual planes integrated trafficand above some picturesFoxTrot Romeo request take-off clearance !http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/140983.jpgAnother Seneca landing just before Fox Romeohttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/140985.jpgSoon for Fly! pilots in english of course. Virtual aircrafts controlled with synthetic voices according to the real traffic !DidierROTW

Hello Rene,Thanks for sharing the report of the annual ROTW meeting.The superb 3D cockpit panel is already installed as windows desktop background.I remember 2005 being an interesting Fly year: ATR (+ instructor panel), DC3 with real icing simulation, squawkbox and POTW, numerous airports and sceneries 2D and 3D, and many more.And 2006 is looking even more promising, especially the ROTW participation at the Fly! Legacy development which will assure a nice future for Fly.Best Regards,Frank