Sign in to follow this  
Guest Gaijin

Adding new airport in Fly!'s database

Guest Gaijin

Greetings to all,How would one go about adding a new airport in Fly! II? As some of you may know, Kobe Airport in Japan opened a few days ago on reclaimed land like Kansai airport. I would love to create this airport, but as it isn't in the database I would have to add it. How is this done?Any response would be appreciated.Danny H. Masson

Yep - That's the ticket! Add the airport first into the airport DB - use Vol!Edit for easy DB-editing, then import the DEX with DexImport. Once you've got the airport in (airport data and radio frequencies), add the runways into the runway DB and match them to the new airport identity.Now, you can make your taxiways in the normal fashion, add 3D scenery, etc. Save the DEXs for inclusion with airport scenery, if you want to share your scenery. The end-user would run your dex files first to establish the airport, then add your scenery.Addendum - I'm away from home for a couple of hours, but a site is still available where a couple of us posted a "how-to" for DB-editing. I'll be back here later tonight and post that link.

Randall Rocke

Danny,Here's the old web page - originally posted with the help of SaltyDog, this is a compilation of Database Editing Tutorials written by Colin Sare-Soar and myself: http://saltydogfly2.avsim.net/database_editing_tutorial.htmColin's is written toward a basic overview of three methods. Mine concentrates on using Vol!edit as the main tool. I wrote it for both Fly!1 and Fly!II, so pay attention to the nomenclature. Also, this was an earlier version of Vol!edit - there have been a number of improvements/additions, but overall, you'll find the instructions appropriate....I would add that unless your are editing the Fly!1 DBs, you will not need Fly!Edit ot DBImport.Unique keys are needed for a new DB entry. Though you can create your own, we have developed a method that helps to keep different keys from conflicting. For instance, if someone used a DAFIF update created by Didier, then imported a DEX file with an update for one of the same airports, there would be a conflict. By using the same type of key, the old value would be over-written.

Randall Rocke

Guest Gaijin

Thank you both, Randall and Roger for the info. I will keep you informed of my progress once I get started.Cheers,Danny H. Masson

Guest Gaijin

For your interest, here's a photo of the model of Kobe airport (UKB/RJBE) it has a 2500m long runway.Enjoy,Danny H. Masson

Ah yes - looks like you may have to use "Ground Transform". :-)

Randall Rocke

G'day Randall,By the look of it I think he has made a 3d model of the airport and it will be like landing on an aircraft carrier........ but a very very large aircraft carrier. :-) An interesting concept and a novel way of circumventing the watery runway problem.Cheers,Roger

Guest Azzurro

Hello dear friends,For such an important airport, it is possible that the Dafif's already provide very accurate datas for the position of the runways, and if so, it would avoid the problem of the "unique keys" as Randall explained it.I ask Didier to have a glance on the question.CheersAzzurro

OK - Danny, this means that you can create any key you want - there's nothing to conflict. However, I'll post the approach we use later today (have to get out my old notes) so that other DB work you may do in the future will not create such conflicts.

Randall Rocke