Sign in to follow this  
Earl_Buice

PBM file for Adventures

Hi guys,Does anyone know how to make PBM files for Adventures in FLYII? Also, how to get a metar file for just the flight plan you are making?Thanks,Earl

Guest tonyc

I am not sure what you mean about PBM files for Adventures....As for metar, why not use Sbox for real time weather?tony

Hi Tony,Thanks for the reply. The PBM files I'm refering to are located in the FLYII/Adventures folder. They apparently hold the small thunbnial picutres of the plane or watever used in the adventure. I tried opening one to see if I could edit it but it was gibberish.What I really want is a method of getting the small pic into my adventure so it will show up when looking at the adventure menu.I guess I could use a third party program but in this case, I'm refering to the built in function for downloading a metar file. I downloaded one last night. It was almost 1 meg and included hundreds of waypoints and airports. I just want to be able to furnish a small file with an adventure which covers the area I'm flying. Also, I don't know much about SBox. I checked quikly in Google but got all sorts of stuff. Can you give me a link?Thanks,Earl

Guest tonyc

Fly! GRaphics, which can be found in the FLY! section of Avsim will read PBM files. tony

Hi Earl, You will need Paint SHop Pro or some similar program to do some of the conversions, then Fly!Graphics by Elrond to do the final conversion to PBM. So, step-by-step :1. Get a shot from Fly!II of the plane / scenery you want in the pic (CTRL-TAB, I believe).2. Open Paint program.3. Re-size pic to 64x64 pixels.4. Reduce colours to 8-bit / 256 Colour if not already that, then save the file.remember where the the pic is saved, and open Fly!Graphics.5. Select image and in upper left corner, select PBM for the convert to method. Be sure to select same folder in second, lower window for where to store the converted pic.6. Click on Convert!7. Drop the xxxx.act and xxxx.pbm files into the appropriate adventure folder.Past that, I am not sure how it would display - most likely a call from a python script (those with the .PY extension).Hope this helps!Ken Wood :-sun1http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/bannernewkw.jpgGateway 700X; Intel P4 2.4GHz; 512MB RAM; NVIDIA Ti4200 4X AGP 128MB; SB Audigy; Thrustmaster TopGun Fox 2 Pro Shock

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

Earl - Another way to handle metars is the great METAR program "Infometar". It was developed back in the Fly!2K days, so you'll probably find it in the Fly!I download area.Basically, download the metar using Infometar, use its great tools to edit/create a flight path. Then, thin the metar to just the data along your flight route and save the file in the Fly!II Metar folder. After your flight plan is created, load the metar file from the menu and go flying.

Randall Rocke

Guest Azzurro

Hi Earl,If you want to create a particular weather, you can effectively use the methods that our friends have explained, and then edit the file and correct it manually.You have to understand the syntax of the metars, it is not very hard.And above all, do not create conditions with too rapid evolutions: or if you want to simulate a strong degradation of the weather (heavy winds, low visibility, banks of fog), then create new meteo stations on your way, for example add to your list small airports, and create for them progressive variations of the conditions.

Hey Fellas,I just wanted to say thanks again for all your help. This the best forum of any! The FLYII guys are always there to help.I made up a little flight from KPDK to KTYS Knoxville for FS9. I decided to try the same flight in FLYII. It was even better. The clouds called in the Metar for the 2 days I used are unusually nice and the flight is just the right length for me. I hope you guys like if you decide to download it. http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=83174Thanks again guys!God bless,Earl

Hi Earl,just took your flightplan and weather for my saturday morning flight. Thanks for the nice clouds you caught. The turbulences made it interesting.What a pity that there is no airport scenery available.

Guest tonyc

Fly has a built in scenery editor. In a matter of minutes you can have aiport buildings....tony

thats true and I started to mess around with for my birthplace airport. but since i wanna have at least adequate generic hangars on the right spot it takes a couple of hours to arrange everything nicely. My hope still is that Wayne gets into business again....

Hi Macflyer,Thanks for the kind words. I was pleasantly surprised with the clouds myself when I took the first flight. That is what made me decide to upload it. Must have been ok by most people. It downloaded 75 times on Avsim and 75 times on Flightsim. I know thats not a lot but I am pleased with it. Afterall, it was just a flight adventure. 150 downloads seems ok for that.Tony, yes we know you can make your own airports but Wayne doesn't "make" airports he is an artist! I messed around with Huntsville, AL trying to make it lok something like the real thing. Then I saw a post from Wayne asking for recommendations for his artistry. I suggested Huntsville. I almost wish you guys could see the difference in his and mine. By the way, he took about 2 days.Happy FLYing guys!Earl

Hi Earl,I guess nowadays 150 downloads for Fly! is a great number!?Hopefully it encourages you to keep on posting your flights. Recently I am really inspired by the old Flight Simulator II bookware which was available in the eighties, e.g. "Runway USA". In a time where downloads and inbuilt Flight Adventures where not invented yet some word artists came up with great stories and step-by-step flights with great imagination and the crappy grafix with 4 colors or fps or flight model was nothing to complain about.Would be great if there would be such kind of literature again plus great flight plans in great weather like yours......