Sign in to follow this  
Fall_guy

Hi Guys, I need your help with a few Questions please.

Hi Everyone, .........in need of your expertiseIf you can answer or help with any of the following, Id really appreciate any input. Thanks Guys.Q1) On a typical Boeing aircraft,........ where is the Transpoder located within the cockpit and how do I input the Transponder squark codes ?Q2) Can someone please explain what the AUDIO panel is used for and How is it operated during atypical flight ?Q3) Within FLYII is it possible to change and enlarge the Radio Frequency Digits. (the file reference appears as ca01 etc, but I can't locate the file. Is this file built into FLYII's system ? and therefore can't be altered.Q4) Ive noticed that on the Glare Panel of Boeing aircraft there is a dial to tune into the NAV frequency. Is this always the ACTIVE Freq and do they also have a Standby Freq and if so where is it located and how do you transfer this FREQ and make it the Active FREQ ?Many Thanks in advanceJohn

G'day John,Mate I really don't like the phrase "typical Boeing aircraft", but having said that here goes -Q1. TYPICALLY most radio gear on a Boeing can be found on the P8 panel ( the aft electronics panel on the top of the centre console aft of the throttle quadrant.For the rest of your questions have a look at the attached pics. I think they will help. They are from my B747-400 course notes. I have pencilled in :- Batt - ON Radio switch - ON VHF . L - select set up standby frequency ( eg 121.7 ) Press transfer switch With the RCP the frequency knob sets the standby frequency and you then transfer it to the active frequency.I hope this is of help to you. If there is anything specific you would like to know then post and I'll do my best It's been a long time since I sat in the cockpit and memory fades :-)Cheers,Roger

Hi Roger,I was kinda hoping you'd see my post, but a thought you might have still been away on vacation. Hope you had a GOOD time mate.Thanks for the info that helps a lot, as you know I'm pretty new to this aircraft scene and although I'm learning lots of cool stuff, I still find it difficult knowing what all them buttons and switches do. Im just in the process of hooking things up on a Boeing 767 Floor/Radio Panel and I can't seem to find the Transponder anywhere. Ive looked at pics on Airliners but I have'nt a clue where its located or/and how pilots input there assigned Squark code?The other thing I'm not sure about is on the CRS panel (Left of the Glare) there are two displays and dials. One is for dialing in the Course (I think) and the other marked FREQ is for dialing in the NAV frequency.What I'd like to know is this!.........once you've dialed in the NAV frequency on the CRS panel does this then become the Active frequency automatically. Roger if I'm barking up the wrong tree here, and that FREQ is'nt for the NAV freq......please let me know mate..............and put me out of my misery.If only I had the PMDG 757 I'm sure it would be in their operation manual.Anyhow good to hear from you and take it easy.regardsJohn

G'day John,The holiday was fantastic!, 10 days at Boracay just lazing about in the sun, snorkeling, sailing, eating and drinking :-) - just the way life was meant to be, but the post 9-11 security paranoia has taken all the enjoyment out of flying. 4 days in Manilla - a bit of a rat race, has a population almost the same as all of Australia. We were surprised by the amount of smog/haze, but considering the traffic volume I guess it's only to be expected. The locals were extemely friendly and shopping was cheap 50 P (peso) = $1 USNow back to your question-On the B737-200 (steam) the transponder is on the co-pilots side of the forward electronic panel (immediatley in front of the throttle quadrant)On the B777 the transponder is on the co-pilots side of the aft electronic panel.I don't have any B767 manuals but I think it fair to suggest that the transponder would be in one of the above positions. I'm going in to my ex-work in a few days and I'll see what I can dig up.I think you are correct in what you say about the NAV and COURSE selections on the glareshield panel. I notice that the NAV frequencies are NOT selected on the aft electronic panel of the B777. From memory I think the nav frequencies on the B777 are entered into the FMC and can be called up on EICAS page and changed there but I'm not certain. More to check.Cheers,Roger

John, Check email lwhen you get a chance...Cheers!Ken Wood :-sun1http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/bannernewkw.jpgGateway 700X; Intel P4 2.4GHz; 512MB RAM; NVIDIA Ti4200 4X AGP 128MB; SB Audigy; Thrustmaster TopGun Fox 2 Pro Shock

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

G'day JohnRe B767 Nav tuning. The attached pics will give all the info you were after.Basically the VOR's are tuned automatically via the FMC when EFIS is in MAP or PLAN mode but manual tuning is done in VOR or ILS mode of operation. Manual tuning is accomplished via either the left or right FMC CDU's or from the manual control panel on either side of the glareshield.Hope this info helps.Cheers,Roger

Thanks for that Roger!Thats just what I was after......I really appreciate you taking the time in seeking out that info.Cheers MateJohn