Sign in to follow this  
Guest nfn

Fly! help?

Guest nfn

Hi EveryoneI new to the AVSIM forum and have a problem with Fly! and my Saitek X45 Flight Controller. Only Pitch, Roll, and rudder work. It appears from checking out Take 2's, Terminal Reality's And Godgames websitesthat I need the V1.01 patch. So far have had no success in being able to download this patch. Does anyone out there have a copy of the patch that I can download, Or know where I can download it from?Many thanksNeil N

Guest nfn

HA HAI couldn't see it for looking. Have downloaded it from the file library. But are there any other issue's that I should know about with Fly! and USB flight controllers?Cheers Neil N

Hi Neil,Welcome to the Fly! forum! Most of us use Fly!II these days, so I had to go back in my archives to get some information for you. I'm not aware of any controller issues with Fly!2K fully patched. Please note all of the upgrade and software recommendations that follow:=====================================================Fly! comes with some of the patches and updates built-in. With that in mind, remember that you are at the ver 1.01.87 level.Included with Fly! 2K are the following items: Sky! and Infometar. Load these programs - they are excellent! Both Sky! and Infometar have new versions out - you'll find them right here at Avsim.com. When you install Sky!, you also add new textures to all the runways and taxiways in Fly!, so one thing you definitely won't need is the update: Runways.Next I would download the following:--Ground Control. Replaces the Fly! generic scenery with far better generic scenery.--Sky! updates and additions - check the File Library--Patch (VERY IMPORTANT) - the SDK 1.01.88 (User) or (Developer) upgrade. Without this patch, you won't be able to enjoy many of the latest and greatest add-ons for Fly!, including the following:--ALL of Rob Young's fantastic flight models and updates to the default Fly! aircraft. Want your flying to feel and perform like the real thing? Get all of these, and make certain they're the latest versions.--Flyscripts! This scripting program opens up all kinds of possibilities for adventuring, ATC, you name it - in fact, it spawned:--C4TO (Cleared 4 Take Off). This great program has changed the rather bad ATC of Fly! (at least it had one) to a very liveable one. In order to have the latest combo do the following: Install the first versions of Flyscripts! and C4TO. Then install the update for Flyscripts! followed by the update for C4TO and you'll be in business!--Download all of the great scenery (geographic and some airports). The majority of these are on Avsim. Great stuff here, whether satellite or Terrascene.--Check out some of the other aircraft! Because of the complexity (and accuracy) of Fly!, aircraft are not easy to make. I would give special mention to: the Embraer 120, Rob's Learjet, a fantastic Mooney Ovation and Citabria, etc.Even with the advent of Fly II, there's great stuff for the original Fly!. Keep checking out the library!

Randall Rocke

Guest nfn

Many thanks RandallI shall look at these other patches and scenery/aircraft.I will probably in the long upgrade to Fly! II.Just another quick question. Are there any helicopters available for Fly! / Fly! II#? I love flying them. I have Just Flight's SAR 4 and Vietman Medevac. So far the only standalone helo flight sims that I can find, And the flight model is pretty good too. (I suppose because it is a dedicated helo flight sim). The microsoft series of flight sims have helo's as extras, but the flight models seem a little off.For example in the RAF 2000 aircraft there is a Chinook, which for some reason keeps going into an uncontrollable spin. Which occurrs in versions 1 and 2 of the combat flight sims and MS FS98 & FS2000.I also fly RC scale helo's as well (Again I love to fly them. Far more challenging and intense than fixed wing aircraft). If I had the money I'd take real helicopter flying lessons, But one can keep on dreaming.Thanks againNeil N

Guest CaptainJ

Hi,Yes there are helicopters made for Fly II! www.f2fdesign.com Take care,

Neil,Though I have not taken on helicopter flight within Fly!II, I understand that the Bell 407 is excellent. Real life rotor pilots have also added fixes and adjustments which you can download from the File Library. As Jarno states, there are now new copters available and in development.I just posted several shots from the Bell 407 in Fly!II on the screenshot forum here: http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...id=236092&page=

Randall Rocke

Guest nfn

Thanks Randall and Thanks JarnoI'll have a look at the Bell and the other helo's on F2Design.The screenshots are great. When I get me a copy of Fly!III will definately be taking the Bell for a spin.I can't fly anything on the PC at the moment as I'min the middle of recording all my old vinyl recordsand restoring the audio. So the HDD is pretty much full.Thanks againNeil N

Guest angels355

Hi Neil,I have Fly!2K which is basically Fly!. I have also got a Saitek joystick but buttons 1-4 are broken, and just recently the rudder control broke also! I haven't been able to use it on Fly! because it doesn't want to cooperate w/ the program so I use Sidewinder for my Fly! joystick. Everything works and it's smooth operating. After I boot up Fly! before doing anything else I load up the joystick settings, and make sure that Fly! is recognizing the joystick for all of its' functions before flying. That used to be a headache for me when I was first starting, one of the controls would not be working and so before flying I would go through this routine to make sure that my joystick is loaded up OK:First I would go to the pull down menu then select the following:'optionscontrolsload setsidewinder buttons.keysetup controlsx-axis sidewinder precision 2 joystickx-axis sidewinder precision 2 joystickRudder sidewinder precision 2 joysticktrim noneright toe brake noneleft toe brake noneOKcontrol optionsOKOn the Controls window when I first started I selected the buttons and options I wanted to apply to each joystick button I wanted. Then I would "save set" and named it "sidewinder buttons". So from then on in the Controls window I would select "load set", highlight "sidewinder buttons.key" then load it. I think everything else is somewhat self explanatory.Good luck and happy flying. Look at the Fly! frequently asked questions, and make sure that you get your V88 update, so that you can operate the program in an optimum way, and also allow you to fly all the V88 aircraft by Rob Young.

Guest angels355

Hi Randy and everyone,I'm sure grateful for your notes, on my original weaker computer I may have made a few mistakes on the original installation but it's working fine. I have two licensed copies of Fly!2K, and on the first original installation I didn't realize that I was already at the 87 level, and just had to install the version 88 patch to reach the top, duh! So I had put in the "101 to final patch" then the V88 patch, dur! But I just installed Fly!2K again on a more powerful computer, ache du liebe POD files! I couldn't believe how awesome Fly!2K looks on a better computer, 334 mhz processor (going to eventually upgrade this to 1 to 1.4 ghz, and add FS9 on a second HD, and want Fly 2 on a future faster computer), 768 mb's ram, and ATI rate 128 video card. I know it's not an astounding computer, however this package never the less allows me to max the resolution (Hawker panel goes from light gray to darker gray) and just about everything else and still get about 20 fps. Now I have beautiful blue skies (this 'puter has XP also, versus Win 98 on the first computer I still run Fly!2K and FS98 on), versus a sort of greenish colored sky on the first installation, (350 mhz, 256 mb's of RAM now upgraded from 96 mb's, and an ATI II Rage graphics card). The sim looks entirely different on this better computer, now I believe how nice your Fly 2 installations are on your high end computers. Now I have five flight sim installations and can run four at the same time which I'm looking forward to, I have routinely flown three at a time, which was a challenge at first but now I'd like to do four! Five if I could figure out how to squeeze another sim on my overstuffed HD's!I was wondering, if anyone remembers this file, does anyone know what is wrong with the Canadian C-130 candadiancc130.zip and canadiancc130fix.zip the fix allows you to be able to run it without the USAF c130 installed which I've never found. It is listed I think on Are Barestad's hangar site I think but it's an empty link to the USAF C130 file. Any way, when I select the Canadiann C-130, either way with or without the fix file, I see the aircraft image in the selector screen, but when I press "Fly" I think it is to enter the sim, I get an error message. When I first installed Rob's Lear 35A and had Environmental Mapping selected in the graphics section, his Lear would totally crash if I went to an outside view on the original computer. I wonder if there is a similar fix for the Canadian C-130, or is it just not working, or was it possibly mislabeled and is in fact at Fly! 2 aircraft? I have at least the Fly! alpha C-130, that was really hard to track down.I have seen some other panel files on the gallery pages, I change panels very easily in Flight Simulator, is it next to impossible to upgrade panels in Fly!2K?France sure seems to be a popular country to fly in, in FS98 I have installed 400 French airports I believe! I think there are several French files for Fly!/2K, including I think some Alps airports, I wonder if that might include Courchevel, which I know exists for Fly! 2.I have some update files to correct some ILS files, one or two specific ones and one for I think for all of the US generally are these files appropriate for Fly!2K or is it already corrected for these problems? I also have a cement runways update, is that a good thing? I haven't installed either of these as I'm not sure how to run the db import process. Also I've seen a file which updates the international airport acronym names, I think that is probably an important file, perhaps not as much when I first started flying sims w/ my first installation of Fly!2K when I was just concentrating on flying the plane, now after 12,120 plus hours of flight simulator time little things like correct airport acronym names are important and also ILS. BTW if I recall I've had to guestimate the airport runway's ILS compass orientation, I don't think I've seen the runway databases list this information.On that cleared 4 takeoff ATC program, is that the program which assigns you a specific odd/even altitude based on your direction, and gets angry with you if you don't perform correctly? Or is the default ATC in Fly!2K Cleared 4 Takeoff? Fly!2K's ATC seems pretty good actually, is Cleared 4 Takeoff different and a big improvement?I had a marathon session of installing aircraft last night. I have a lot more experience at this than before when I was a novice. I'm trying to figure out what I did with my Quantas livery 747 SP, that was such a fine aircraft. I've got all the V88 aircraft installed.I was really frustrated because I had FS98 and Fly!2K installed on the same older computer and I couldn't fly both of them at the same time, so I just got this slightly better computer and pondered a long time, I'm glad that I decided to install Fly!2K on here, it's unbelieveable how good it is. My initial installation size I think was only over 1 gb, and I think now even with lots of aircraft added and V88 update I'm still only at about 1.26 gb's, it's so incredible how much can be gotten out of such a small file! And I don't have a square hole in the middle of the plane at high altitude like I did on the first computer (which shrunk a little when I increased the ram from 96 to 256 mb's on the original computer).Is the Ground Control terrain generator a lot better than the stock default Fly!2K version? It's hard to tell these things, I'm trying to avoid redundant updates like I did on my first Fly!2k installation where I installed that 101 to final patch before installing the V88 update.If I install the flyscripts update will that add a flyscripts folder which I would place all future flyscripts files into?Sorry for all these questions, thank you in advance for your assistance. This is me flying Rob Young's Lear 35A over Lake WA in Seattle. I used to ride my bike around this lake plus a second lake for two laps for 125 miles. It would take me 9 hours, this time would have been drastically shorter but my road bike weighs 28lbs w/ nothing on it, bummer! At least I get a little exercise now and then, I did that ride one to four times/week.Fly!2K rocks!:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/155771.jpg

Guest angels355

Hello again,I have a couple more questions! "Oh great, not him again!" you're saying!I have downloaded Ground Control but haven't installed it yet, I'm thinking that I'll back up the original files and try to install it manually.But I was wondering how does Terrascene differ from Ground Control and which is better? OK, I've done a little reading, so now I know a little more than zip, I've seen some incredible Terrascene scenery tiles. So if I understand this, Ground Control generates generic artificial scenery better than the scenery generator in Fly!2K? But Terrascene allows you to access global tiles downloadable from the net, like for example Cape Hatteras by our own Randall Rocke, but you have to have the Terrascene program installed to access it? So Ground Control and Terrascene work together/independently. Those Terrascene tiles are incredible, but wow they are big files! But is that right, you have to have the Terrascene program installed to be able to run the Terrascene tiles, they won't just show up without that program right?Also I was looking over Flyscripts, and I noticed there's a v2.01 which I think is the latest/last version of Flyscripts which is located in the Fly! II download section. Does that v2.01 Flyscripts work in Fly!2K? Also I was checking out Cleared 4 Takeoff and there is a version for Fly! II, I read the readme file for it and it said it required the latest version of Fly! II and Flyscripts v2.01 and up. So I guess that version of Cleared 4 Takeoff won't work in Fly!2K?

I'm on the run, but I'll come back later with more details:1. Ground Control greatly improves the generic scenery - it's textures are superior to the original coverage. It also makes improvements to runway textures, etc.2. You do not need TerraScene to use TerraScene scenery. If you use mine or other authors' scenery, just install the files and you're done. TerraScene is for creation of such scenery.3. I believe that the latest version of Flyscripts! works with Fly!2k - I'll get back with you on that before the day is out.4. I also believe you'll need to use the earlier version of C4TO with Fly!2k, but I'll check that out also. It is far, far superior to the default ATC.

Randall Rocke

Randall's covered the bases well, and is correcton his points. Fly!Scripts I believe, you have to manually make the folder yourself to place the scripts into. Go over the read-me file one more time to be sure, though, but I do not recall there being an installer with Fly!Scripts. C4TO is a much better ATC than the basic ATC in Fly!2K. Yes, it will "nag" you if you are off, and does assign proper altitudes depending upon direction of flight. Also, will assign proper runway for take-off or landing based on wind when a Metar file is loaded in.Panels... :-hah Depending upon the "quality" of a panel you want, it is best said to be quite difficult to do just panels aka MSFS. If you want same quality as what shipped in Fly!2K, then you must be good with a 3D program like 3DS Max or TrueSpace. Same for the aircraft... though we saw more of the latter being made than the former. Hope this all helps!Ken Wood :-sun1http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/bannernewkw.jpgGateway 700X; Intel P4 2.4GHz; 512MB RAM; NVIDIA Ti4200 4X AGP 128MB; SB Audigy; Thrustmaster TopGun Fox 2 Pro Shock

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

Guest angels355

Thank you Randy and Ken,I sure appreciate your assistance. Boy Randy you're sure talented, I have only had the chance to speak to a few developers and I appreciate how generous you are with your time. Fly!2K was way ahead of its' time. I still have to get Fly!2.Thanks very much for the info about Terrascene. I'm about to install another 126 mb's of scenery related files in Fly!2K. My FS9 'puter HD is gettin overstuffed w/ files, I use it to download then archive to CD's but I might be 2 gb's behind in archiving!The detail involved in the startup of the Hawker is really awesome. Just out of curiosity, there are many PMDG airliners, and the Wilco 737 available for Fly!2K, I think I've seen Wilco's listings I think they still sell the Fly!2K plane. But I wonder if PMDG still offers the Fly!2K planes? Or is that something you have to buy used on ebay? I'm not in a hurry to get them yet, but it's just something I've wondered about.

Angels - I'm trying to remember...did you ever post your name?I've lost my own computer twice now in the last 5 days (cluster damage on a new drive system), so I haven't been able to access the forum or e-mail. It will probably be a few more days until I get all of this fixed, so I'll fill you in on some of the C4TO info later.TerraScene - I should qualify my previous remarks with the fact that TS files for Fly!2K are actually much smaller than the higher-res files for Fly!II. They're small enough that most of them can be downloaded as completed sceneries. I realize that 80MB files may not seem small, but a globe tile for Fly!II is much larger. In fact, TS2 files for Fly!II are so large that most of them can't be posted complete in the file manager. Therefore, I produced the Fly!II sceneries as scenery packs - Fly!II folks must therefore have TerraScene installed so they can download these packs and render the sceneries. I attempted to make this as easy as possiblePMDG does not offer the airliners for Fly! any more (and it's too bad)! I have all of them - they are wonderful. With their big move to MSFS, they figured they wouldn't be able to support the Fly! versions any more. I think that was a mistake, but it's their baby. The only legal way to get it would be for an owner to give up their own copies for sale.

Randall Rocke