Sign in to follow this  
Guest angels355

Fly!2K GPS autopilot

Guest angels355

Greetings,I've flown about 1,500 hrs on Fly!2K (special note, this is a more advanced special edition of Fly! and is not Fly! II, I haven't gotten Fly II yet), and about 9,000 hrs on MS Flight Sim's, but that whole time on Fly!2K on very long flights also, I could not get the GPS Nav to engage. You know how you select the MFD window by selecting shift + m, and you get a transparent window with all of the local airports around you, and the local traffic, plus you'll also see the flight plan course depicted by a line going out of your departure airport, going into your destination airport or way point, then out again to the next airport or way point. How do you get the GPS Nav to engage and follow that course line?Has anyone released an update that makes the Fly!2K Hawker 800XP FMC function? I think there is functionality on Fly! II with the ROTW/simvol DVD update.It's been a year since I installed all of the Fly!2K patches, I hope that I got them all, is there a way to tell if I have overlooked any patches?Favorite Fly! aircraft: Rob Young's V88 aircraft: Lear 35A, Hawker 800XP, especially the V88 Beech King Air B200's (I have a nice Westwind (?) repaint of the V88 B200, and the Citabria it's cool. By the way, is there anyone who owns both the Rob Young V88 King Air B200, and also the FS 2004 Aeroworx King Air B200? How do they compare?What's been happening with Fly!/Fly!2K? Have there been any new aircraft released? Has anyone heard whether the Flyware 747 has been finished?I don't suppose there's any way to import a Microsoft Flight Sim aircraft into Fly!? Probably impossible.

G'day ????,Welcome to the Fly forums.Firstly if you are using Fly! 2k then make sure that you are using "Sky - special edition" by How In The World. That has to be the best cloud environment for any flight sim. Which aircraft are you wanting to use GPS with? I'll assume the Hawker.1. Set up your flight plan and start it.2. set both the capts EFIS mode selectors on the glareshield to WPT (waypoint).3. TAKE OFF4. Check the flight director is switched ON 5. engage both the yaw damper and auto pilot.6. select NAV HOLD on the AP panel7. open the vector window and observe as the AP follows the FD bars and lines the aircraft up on a heading to intercept the course line at approximately 30 degrees8. On intercepting the course line the AP will capture the course line and the aircraft will follow the course line from waypoint to waypoint until you get to your arrival destination. You will then have to switch the EFIS mode switches to VOR and use radio navigation for your approach.Check the Avsim library for add-ons. To be honest I don't think much has been added over the years as most people have moved overto Fly! IIFS2xxx aircraft in Fly!2k. Definitely NO!Hope to see more of you around the forum in the future.Cheers,Roger

It looks like Roger's got you covered on the Hawker. If you are having issues with the other aircraft using the regular GPS system, the following steps take care of it:1. Create a flight plan - this loads your waypoints into the GPS2. Select the GPS button after start-up3. Once airborn, set up an intercept course for the first leg4. When close to intercept, turn on the autopilot, engage the NAVThe AP will now follow the course as stored in the GPSTo follow a VOR or ILS, you must turn off the GPS or GPS/Slave buttonYou are obviously updated to the 1.01.88 level or you wouldn't be able to use Rob's v88 aircraft. However, you may find this copy of a post I made to another Fly! user helpful:============================================Fly! comes with some of the patches and updates built-in. With that in mind, remember that you are at the ver 1.01.87 level.Included with Fly! 2K are the following items: Sky! and Infometar. Load these programs - they are excellent! Both Sky! and Infometar have new versions out - you'll find them right here at Avsim.com. When you install Sky!, you also add new textures to all the runways and taxiways in Fly!, so one thing you definitely won't need is the update: Runways.Next I would download the following:--Ground Control. Replaces the Fly! generic scenery with far better generic scenery.--Sky! updates and additions - check the File Library--Patch (VERY IMPORTANT) - the SDK 1.01.88 (User) or (Developer) upgrade. Without this patch, you won't be able to enjoy many of the latest and greatest add-ons for Fly!, including the following:--ALL of Rob Young's fantastic flight models and updates to the default Fly! aircraft. Want your flying to feel and perform like the real thing? Get all of these, and make certain they're the latest versions.--Flyscripts! This scripting program opens up all kinds of possibilities for adventuring, ATC, you name it - in fact, it spawned:--C4TO (Cleared 4 Take Off). This great program has changed the rather bad ATC of Fly! (at least it had one) to a very liveable one. In order to have the latest combo do the following: Install the first versions of Flyscripts! and C4TO. Then install the update for Flyscripts! followed by the update for C4TO and you'll be in business!--Download all of the great scenery (geographic and some airports). The majority of these are on Avsim. Great stuff here, whether satellite or Terrascene.--Check out some of the other aircraft! Because of the complexity (and accuracy) of Fly!, aircraft are not easy to make. I would give special mention to: the Embraer 120, Rob's Learjet, a fantastic Mooney Ovation and Citabria, etc.

Randall Rocke

Guest angels355

Hi Roger,I would sure like to thank you for your directions. I got it operating in my two more important aircraft, the Hawker 800XP and also the Lear 35A by Rob Young (love that plane). I'm on my second flight now in the Lear 35A on course from PHNL to PHTO. I'll see if I can get the systems to work in the 747, 757, 737's, and the King Airs. I have learned such a great deal about flying after reaching 10,500 hrs total, 1500 in Fly!2K, when I come back to Fly!2K I have much greater flying skills to apply to it. I don't think I will ever get tired of Fly!2K because it was my first flight sim! Even with FS9 and in the future FSX and Fly! II, I will always love Fly!2K as it was my first. Because I was a co-pilot from 8 to 10 w/ 50 hrs, when I started up again w/ Fly!2K I was able to fly the King Air immediately, however it actually took me 2 or 3 days to be able to fly the Hawker 800XP, it's hard to imagine now that I actually had to work on it to fly it. I think it is still not an easy plane to land. Now basically I can fly anything first time. It was purely by chance that I came across Fly!2K. I just exited a fortune 500 company where I had a job interview, and I crossed the street and went in to visit a computer shop. I checked out the bargain bin by chance/luck, and spotted Fly!2K. I was absolutely incredulous, because I had seen this program in Flying magazine (about real world general aviation flying), so I knew it was top notch. I bought one copy, then I went back and I think I bought either one or two more copies. It was a beautiful flying experience, with amazing ATC and traffic also, and absolutely the worst ever weather also if you wanted it (plus an adjustible turbulence dll available for download in Fly! sections at avsim and flightsim, which can get so rough it shut down all of my 747 engines).I read about a freeware addon ATC for Fly! which sounded interesting, in which it will assign you the right altitude depending on your direction, and also will get impatient with you if don't follow directions. Does that sound good, or do you know of a better ATC program for Fly!/2K or should I stick with the default ATC?I will check out that weather program you mentioned. I wonder if I have it already but was chicken to install it. I'll have to look it up on the internet.How do you like Fly! II? What turboprops and jets does it have? How is the ATC? How do you compare it with MS Flight Sim? Fly! II is definitely on my list of things to buy. Have you gotten the ROTW/simvol.org DVD upgrade for Fly! II?Thank you once again. If I only knew this when I was flying Fly!2k more intensely, but now I can go back and fly new flight plans, I've completed so far 226 flights around the world (all of my flights basically are around the world except for test flights like now, have to go land at PHTO).Oh, one thing I think I forgot about when monkeying with the controls in the past was not only not turning on the flight director, but also the PFD Nav System, I think that is required also, at least all the buttons I've pushed this afternoon are working! Duh, I missed a lot of things while trying to figure it out. I have one very nice 727 in Fly!2K that was a Fly! II aircraft which someone converted to fly in Fly!2K. I wonder if that is very difficult to do, I have a lot more experience now after MS FS, perhaps I'll try it. What is your favorite aircraft in Fly! II?It was a terrible tragedy that we lost Richard Harvey. Do you think that anyone will organize a Fly III? I know those guys over at simvol.org are incredibly enthusiastic, even if they are less enthusiasitic about my French. FSX is going to be incredible, I think a new flight sim would be a rocket science type of challenge.

Guest angels355

Thanks very much Randy,I have posted your notes to my desktop. And thanks for explaining also the operation of the GPS Nav on the other aircraft. At the present some of the addon scenery is a little challenging for that weaker computer (350 mhz). Just out of curiosity have you seen any scenery for Courcheval? I have that sloping short airport in FS 2000, and I have yet to make a successful Learjet landing on it (I like challenges).My previous Fly!2K level was 1.01.87, I even confirmed that when I accidently double clicked the Fly!2K jewel case edition shortcut, and it worked and brought up the older version. I closed that and brought up the V88 version.Thanks for the suggestions about Cleared for Takeoff, I'll check that out. I was wondering with regards to Sky, that already loaded up and installed itself when I originally installed Fly!2K right? If so I probably need to get the updates for Sky. I had some very wild flights in really awful weather, I would fly in the heaviest rain and clouds with the shortest visibility, it was great.There was a "CC-130 Canadian Armed Forces" plane that was a follow on to the original C-130 project, however whenever I try to load that up the program crashes, is there something I'm missing? When I first got Rob's Lear 35A I had to turn off the environmental effects because that would cause the program to crash if I went to an outside view of the aircraft. I flew all the way around the world like that without being able to go outside of the cockpit. My first landing in it was really thrilling. I already had the environment effects turned off and the CC-130 still crashed.One of my most fun flights was when I think I used the Piper Malibu Mirage, and flew in several hops from Kodiak AK, across the Aleutians, to Kamtchatka, then to Sapporo Japan. If you have a bare minimum of range it can be done. I can't remember if I exceeded the ceiling in order to save fuel. I have both of those planes you mentinoed the Ovation and Ovation 2, and Emraer 120 1st and 2nd edition, and the big iron too. The Citabria flies very nicely, has more power than the plane I flew at 8 to 10, however they are similar in their ease of holding course, actually the '46 Funk I flew when I was a kid was much easier to hold on course but the Citabria sim is more exciting. Any way, it was more similar to the Funk than the Cessna 140 sim, so I went with that when I reenacted our flights from Montana to Seattle in the Funk, it was just as spooky also flying over those mountains as the sun went down, and there was pitch blackness.Thank you for the information. I might have to upgrade my computer a little to get more scenery. When I get Fly! II that will be on a much faster computer. How fast do you think it needs to be, minimum?

One of the most important things with Fly!2K is adjusting the VCF (video card file) to match your video card. Also, proper setting of items within that file and matching it to your processor's capabilities are important. Once you have a proper match, the graphics and fluidity of the sim will increase immensely. If you haven't set your VCF and you're not sure how, let me know. I'll post some easy-to-follow optimizng information.FLY!II is another world ahead of Fly!2K, though I still have that version and enjoy some of its aspects. Take2 forced Fly!II out the door far before TRI was ready, so there were a lot of patches and improvements that came out later. This forum and the Avsim file library are your best resources to make it wonderful - ROTW has been a major source of European scenery, tools, and some spectacular aircraft for Fly!II.As far as the computer, I started Fly!II with a 500 MHz PIII and a 32MB video card. I was able to run it, but at greatly reduced quality. I next ran it on a 1.8 GHz system with a 128 MB nVidia card and 512 MB RAM. This made it very liveable, but still no where near its designed performance. Today, I run it on a 3.2 GHz mult-threaded system with a 256 MB nVidia card and 1 GB RAM. It's wonderful.To really get the most out of it, I would recommend a similar level, but if your talking abpout an older system, then try to get at least a 2 GHz processor, 512 MB RAM and 128 MB VC.

Randall Rocke

Guest angels355

Randy, and Roger,I wanted to say thank you once again, this was a buggaboo that I had a really hard time figuring out before talking to both of you. I've flown countless hours on GPS Nav on MS FS's however to me this wasn't exactly easy for me to do. Thus far I have flown the default 800XP with GPS Nav, and completed a flight in the Lear 35A from PHNL to PHTO, and just now landed after successfully engaging the GPS Nav on the V88 King Air B200 with Rob's GPS button, flying from O'Hare to Greater Kankakee, I'm not making this up!I am completely amazed at how excellent Fly! II sounds. Are there some screenshots here on avsim? I've read about how you can import MS Flight Sim scenery into Fly! II, is that strictly from FS 2000? I know they changed their terrain formats completely on the next couple of FS's. Can anything else be imported from FS? Probably sound files, anything else? It amazes me how far Fly! II can go. How large has your Fly! II folder gotten? My FS9 folder has gotten up to about 17 gb's on a 25 gb HD, and I'm thinking about uninstalling that useless Office program! All iz gud fer is writink and spellgink! An' iz gittin inda way of flite simmink!In Fly!2K I've flown over the CA bay area where they have some nice high res scenery that's a lot of fun, and also it looks like I just flew over some very nice higher resolution terrain departing KORD. It's very exciting. I had some frame rate problems when I installed a big high res file for the KSEA area so uninstalled it, as I was more interested in just flying and my skills.I really liked Rob Young's Lear 35A however, I've spoken to two experts on the Lear 35A. One is a top engineer who's been doing some engineering on the 35, he was saying that due to the fanjets of the Lear 35 that it loses a lot of power at high altitude and can barely cruise at FL390. However a real world type rated pilot who flew the 35 for six years responded that that was a lot of hogwash, it flew straight to FL390 without any problem at all, which is much like Rob's Lear. If I remember he said that he would stop at around FL410 I think then climb in steps from there, he said it had plenty of power. I think the roll rate is too slow on Rob's Lear, the pilot said it was a highly reponsive aircraft. He said that the Lear 25 had spoilerons (he also flew the 25), and so when coming in for a landing the plane was highly responsive. So I think Rob's roll rate is too slow. If I used the POD diver utility, do you think I would be able to see where or how to adjust that? Or maybe I could just adjust the flight control exponentials to give it lots more aileron.

G'day ?????,Glad to have been able to be of assistance. You obviously enjoy your simming and that's what it's all about. :-)Just about everyone on this forum has a "soft spot" for the original Fly! series as it showed such potential. At the time it was way ahead of anything else on the market. I can remember the anticipation waiting for it's release. They were good times. In answer to your question re where Fly! II is headed. Unfortunately the original developers (TRI) shelved the franchise. Even the last patch for Fly! II was "unoffical", however, I urge you to read the Fly! developers forum and catch up on "Fly! Legacy". This is basically an open source program (along the lines of flight Gear) that will utilise all of Fly! II's scenery,aircraft etc. So Fly! II may yet end up with an extended life. Regarding altering the flight characteristics of the Lear Jet. Fly! DOESN'T have a list of variables such as "Roll rate = 6" which you can simply increment to suit your taste. Instead it will have aileron deflection verses lift and drag tables and moment arms. I wouldn't describe it as "easy" but with a little perseverance (lots of trial and error :-lol ), and deviation from the actual physical dimensions you will get the desired simulation. Cheers,Roger

Guest angels355

Wow! Well maybe Rob Young got it right in the first place. However I'm not sure about that, I guess the only way to say for sure is to fly the real Lear 35A. I came close to gettng a Lear quite a few years ago, but my project hit a snag, I've always hoped that I could line my ducks up again and reach that point again (next time it would be a 35 or preferably a 36.This Fly! Legacy sounds incredibly exciting! Do you need to have the original program to be able to utilize these modernized improvements? By Fly! Legacy I presume they are only referring to Fly! II? I Have been meaning to get Fly! II for the past year but keep putting it off. Plus I have to have another computer to put it on. Or perhaps if I added an absolutely huge second HD to my present computer. I think it's a better idea maybe to build a new computer. I have a 1.7 ghz theoretical, 1.4 ghz actual chip and board for one computer project, but Randy was saying that that would only do a medium level job running it (comparing his past system to my future possible system). Next year I hope to have a super fast computer for FSX and Vista, with a Godzilla sized HD. Gamers don't usually opt for gigantic HD's as smaller ones are faster generally, however my second favorite hobby is downloading and installing new aircraft!!I'm going to look up some screen shots to see how it is and also check out Fly! Legacy.Yup, I really love fight simming, after flying when I was a kid, I have wanted to fly all my life. Being able to fly all the planes I built as models as a kid is almost like a dream come true. When I was flying the 800XP after getting the hang of it, I thought to myself, maybe I could do this for a living, so I've been checking into that.

I'll post a small series of Fly!II shots in the next 24 hours in the Screenshot Forum, then link them here.Currently, my Fly!II installation is 18 GBs! I should mention that I'm a TerraScene developer and therefore have some dense scenery storage needs. For speed and space I'm running an SATA RAID array built on dual 180 GB drives.Here's something to "wet" your appetite:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/150991.jpg

Randall Rocke

Guest angels355

Thanks Randy, that's really nice of you!It looks great, I've saved it in my favorites. I have a request for you for scenery development, actually two requests, Courcheval and old Hong Kong Kai Tak.I studied what people were saying online about what were the worst/most hazardous/difficult airports in the world. Kai Tak was about the #1 worst, 747's would frequently scrape their engine nacelles on the runway! Courcheval is unbelievable, that they would build an airport there. Photos of Courcheval are very dramatic. But tourists go there regularly, I think the airport is serviced by Dash 7's and 8's.I've been trying to land a Learjet on Courcheval in FS 2000 and haven't succeeded yet.I haven't had that much difficulty landing at Kai Tak, but it is one of the most popular airports on MS FS. I just downloaded a 154 mb file of Hong Kong for FS9, using dialup of course (perhaps 9 hrs 30 min), but it looks very complicated to install, I'll have to concentrate a little.Here's a real challenge for you. I saw one photo of an airport, which I'm guessing is in the Orient, it looks like a runway built on a cement pylon structure, but like a highway bridge. It is low to the water and 747's wings if I recall actually hang over the edges of the runway. Does that airport sound at all familiar to you?Another couple of airports I like is KEDW, and also Area 51 (NV51?).It's really a privilege to be able to speak to a developer such as yourself. I really appreciate your assistance.

Angels (can you tell us your name, please):I have posted a little group of various Fly!II images in the screenshot forum here: http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...id=236090&page=As a scenery developer, I work mainly with TerraScene to develop more detailed land use textures from USGS data and other sources. It is not so much my skill but the skill of the tool creators such as Todd Klaus and Frank Racis. I also work with database updates to correct DB-related items such as runway lighting and navigation devices such as ILSs, VORs, markers, NDBs, DMEs, etc.For airport and other 3D scenery development, there are some great tools out there, such as Allen Kriesman's Terramodels. Fly!II even has a modeler built into it for instant scenery manufacture, but TerraModels is a better approach for most 3D scenery-building. The File Library is packed with airport scenery by authors such as Wayne Roberts.I believe the airport you're talking about is a new one just off the coast of Japan - just can't recall the name at the moment. There is a Fly!II airport scenery developer working on this challenge. I believe he is actually constructing it as a large 3D model and placing it in the ocean!

Randall Rocke

Guest angels355

"Angels (can you tell us your name, please):"My name? He looks defiantly at his opponent across the baccarat table, lights the cigarette hanging from the corner of his mouth,"Bond. James Bond."I'm just kidding you! The name is Franz Klammer. NO I'm kidding! My name is Farley. One of my other hobbies is writing filmscripts. Perhaps about two or three years or so before "Peacemaker" came out with Clooney and Zowieyaya Kidman, I wrote a filmscript that was extremely parallel to theirs, at first I thought that someone had sent a copy of my script to Hollywood and possibly used it as a starting point. But then I thought it was probably just a result of parallel development given the news stories in the papers around that period. My second filmscript is really wild, in the attempt to be completely unique in the attempt to avoid coming up with something that everyone else already has their mind on. The only thing is, I might like that script less becaus the main characters are technically bad guys. But it's unique. I've been trying to decide how to set up one of my computers to enhance its' writing utility and efficiency, as if I have absolutely no "drag" or any distractions (or technical disasters!), it's possible for me to write a new script in maybe two weeks, otherwise it can take an agonizing 6 to 9 months. I've been trying to decide whether I should do another techno action thriller again, or a zany comedy, as my neighbors can tell you I can get pretty silly. I wonder however if I have it in me to be as outrageously funny as for example Dan Akyroid (I can never spell his name), or Mel Brooks, or the incredible Leslie Nielsen.Your screen shots are incredible. Your Hawker 800XP panel is really crisp and sharp. I think I have to turn up the brightness on my Fly!2K computer monitor, for some reason my 800XP panel has been very dark even when I turn up the dimmer knob on the panel, perhaps there's a knob on the back of the monitor, I think the button on the front is maxed. Or maybe I should check to make sure that the season is set correctly. I'm not sure if I remember how to do that but I think I can find it. One thing I can't figure out is, the autopilot screen in my King Airs at night is pitch black, if there's a light switch for the autopilot screen (bottom screen) I haven't found it, I can't remember if the throttle quadrant is lighted at night.Perhaps this summer I'll be fortunate and come across a good board and video card that can come close to the performance of your machine. Currently my fastest chip and board I have for my next computer is only 1.8 ghz theoretical and 1.4 ghz actual. Those screen shots are incredible, specially the one over the water and delta. Is all that terrain your work?"So, tell me, Mr. Randy, what brings you to Monaco?"

Well, Farley, if your screen brightness and contrast have been adjusted as far as they can go, it may be that you need to adjust your video driver (Display Properties, Settings, Advanced, VC tab. Also, you may need to update your video drivers.If you do update your drivers, you'll need to update your VCF. If you don't have a VCF, then that may be part of your current problem.Yes, all the TerraScene scenery is my work.

Randall Rocke

Guest angels355

I seem to have found a second brightness contrast set of switches (it seems to have two sets) and it seems better now. This old computer is really amazing, it was given to me by a friend. It was built in 98, however it was in absolutely pristene condition, with all of the original manufacturer's stickers on it. In every way it was like a new computer. It's a very nice little machine, does the job fairly well. I have a second licensed copy of Fly!2K, I could perhaps install it on a second slightly faster machine and see if I can take it to higher limits maybe. I have a lot of hardware projects I need to do. I have updated the video drivers recently I think it is in good shape. I'll check on adjusting the video settings, if I have a question I'll take you up on your offer, but it is a very limited machine to start with.I have a computer gamer friend who does some interesting experiments w/ his hardware. He's got a 450 mhz machine, that is maxed out with ram (not all that much for such an old computer), and it has a really really big video card. Plus it has XP. He's able to play the top mainstream video games on that. Although he says it's falling apart and is on its' last leg; he's also got an AMD FX 64 bit computer, but the last time I talked to him he hasn't gotten a video card for it.That scenery of yours is awesome. I'll try to get Fly! II soon.I'm out trying the GPS Nav with my Fly! Qantas livery 747 SP, I can't remember if that was a Vigetti aircraft, but it's really nice, and has a very nice panel.