Sign in to follow this  
Guest chezz

google sketchup

Guest chezz

can models done through the freeware google sketchup be imported to fly2?just curiouschris_CA

Hi Chris:I think it could only be done, if someone writes a program that allows the import of .skp files (gogles sketchup) in to fly! 2. at present time the fly! 2 editor only allows .S3d filesDan

Chris,You did download Caligari's Truespace 3.2 didn't you?? Chris Wallace has written a great 3ds to s3d converter. If you haven't then get a copy off E-bay if you can find one.It works very well for Fly! II models both static and articulated.Roger

Guest tonyc

Roger, I am curious to know if Chris ever released his latest converter to the public. I know that the one available was not complete...tony

G'day Tony, I'm not sure myself mate. I couldn't find it in Avsim Library but it may be in the "FlyWikki". Check there!. If not then I'm sure that a quick email to Chris will help. When I first contacted him we exchanged quite a few emails as he developed the converter into a functioning version for Fly!II.If you don't have his email then send me an email and I"ll pass it on to you.I do urge you to follow up on this as Truespace is an easy to use modelling program (compared to 3dsMax) and can do all the operations necessary to produce great models for Fly!II; but you do need Chris's3dS to S3d converter........and it was free!!!Cheers,Roger.

Guest YV52C

Hi RogerJust curious, here in my country some school offering 3Dmax modelling course is about 2 months or 24 hrs to complete , will be this enough to have some idea to create aircraft for fly!RgdsCesar/Venezuela

Cesar,24 hrs hrs of training over 2 months would probably just about only cover the basics of 3ds Max. That works out at only 3 hrs per week.MANY features (ray tracing, nurbs etc)of 3dsMax are NOT needed to make an aircraft so much of the course might be superfluous to requirements. However with that background knowledge then you would have a fair chance of being able to follow Jean Sabatiers excellent Tutorials on making an aircraft for Fly!IIYou probably still wouldn't be able to make an aircraft without a tutorial as there is just so much incidental info that's needed. The Avsim forum is also a great resource ; don't neglect to use it. :-) My advice, if it's affordable then go for it! BUT be prepared to do a lot of additional practise each week.Cheers,Roger

Guest tonyc

Roger, Can you check your version? I have beta5, but don't recall if this version was still problematic....tony

G'day Tony,Forget Beta 5 --- The version I'm using is V 1,0,0,1 dated 14 Feb. 2005Email on it's way.Cheers,Roger

Guest tonyc

thanks, Roger. It's interesting that Chris did not publish this....Thanks for the email also...tony

Guest YV52C

Hi,Sorry for my late replay, tks for your advise.RgdsCesar/Venzuela

Guest Chris Wallace

Well, I have to say that I'm still not really happy enough with it to encourage "public" use...there are still a few strange hoops that the modeler needs to jump through. But as Roger has demonstrated, it is physically possible to grind a model through the converter and eventually get it working great in Fly2.The main sources of problems are in the different ways that TS3 and Fly2 deal with part hierarchies and animated parts. I never have been able to figure out a good way to reconcile them, so I am not too hopeful that a really easy-to-use exporter for TS3 will be forthcoming.I recently had another look at the Blender modeller, and it seems to have come a long way. Although the learning curve on it is steep (comparable to gmax or 3DStudio) it does appear to have a lot of great capabilities like animation, UV-wrapping, lots of good mesh editing tools, etc.For example see the aircraft models at the bottom of this page:http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread...?t=26564&page=2Chris WallaceOttawa, Canada

G'day Chris,Chris you are too modest mate. :-) I gave Tony your email address I hope you don't mind. The only problem is that you can't environment map a parent part. BUT animnations are a breeze. Wait till you see the flapperons on the Otter. I've recently uploaded a DHC-3 Otter MACINTOSH VERSION and as soon as I finish this post will be uploading the PC version of a fully amphibious Otter ( many thanks to Laurent and Alejandro )Without your converter I wouldn't have my hobby. :-( I owe you big time. :-jumpyCheersRogerps. A tease :-) Now lets see, if all the below doesn't add up to STOL then what does?High aspect ratio wings,Slotted fowlers,tripple fins and ruddersleading edge slats