Sign in to follow this  
Guest jcomm

A few Flight Modeling questions from a loooong time user...

Guest jcomm

Sorry for the LONG post....I have been using Fly since it's firts version. From time to time I divert to MSFS or even X-Plane and Flight Unlimited, while I keep using ELITE v8 for serious IFR training, yet, to really be honest, Fly, and particularly Fly2 gathers the most interesting/extensive/important set of features of all the PC-based simulators I have used.There are aspects unique to Fly!2. I agree that sometimes they're not modelled accurately, but they are there, and I suppose that tallented programmers like those who integrate the Legacy team may get it working even better!Since there are allways long periods of time without using it I sometimes forget about important configuration aspects. I have asked a friend of mine who has Fly!2 installed with most of the add-ons and configured for the best optimization levels to burn me a DVD with his Fly!2 directory, and I simply copied it to my disk, over my own Fly!2 install, and it is working beautifuly! I see 2.5.240 in the "splash intro secreen", so I believe I have the latest version, but I am seriously considering the SimVol DVD now... Yet....even when I select all of the prop effects options on the Fly!2 menus, and in "fly.ini" things like:noPfactor=0noPropTorque=0and...for helos...noRotorTorque=0noRotorSideForce=0noRotorTranslationalLift=0noRotorTranslationalRoll=0and I use even the best add-on prop aircraft or helicopters I seldom notice prop effects (slipstream, p-factor, ...).Yesterday I downloaded and installed the TB-10. It's an airplane I have actually flown, and it's also one of the ELITE v8 models, so, I know more or less what I should expect from it. Overall the "Simvol" model flies very well, and responds realisticaly to control inputs and very acceptably to power changes, but I was surprised to find in the documentation that I should turn "prop effects" off in the Realism Menus??? Why?The ball indicates a realistic ammount of sideslip during high power climbs, but the takeoff run shows no hint of it, and I really do not have to use rudder to counteract slipstream / torque effects until I am airborne.I used "podview.exe" to look into TB10.PRP, which I believe to be the prop modell for the TB-10. Inside of the file I found entries like: - 0.4 - Prop Effect factor -- 0.4 - 0.0 - Prop Torque Effect -- 0.2My questions are:1) If I change these entries (should I?) will the changes get any effect since the Realism Menu options have prop effects set to NO? And, what takes precedence: the Fly.ini parameters or those Menu entries? If I have noPfactor=0 and noPropTorque=0 in "Fly.ini" and uncheck the Realism Menu entry for prop effects, will prop effects be ON or OFF? 2) BTW, is there any alternative, more precise, implementation of the turn&slip indicator for Fly!2?3) And... is there any alternative Flight Director code to use with Fly!2 aircraft? The FD in Fly!2 are too "agressive"/abrupt and really do not help flying coupled maneuvers...Thanks for any input!!!

Guest Bill Hinton

J.C.,You know that "0" means no effect and "1" will provide the effect.

Guest jcomm

Yep,but then, a "0" entry for a property named "noPropEffect" will semanticaly mean that there should indeed be prop effect, because of the double negation, right?NO noPropEffect == YES propEffect;-)

Guest STAVKA

Hello,You are in the logic, BUT strangely only when the noPfactor is equal to 1 and the PFactor is uncheck in the menus i notice the Pfactor effect on the simulation, maybe a bug!With best regards and wishesTercio Sampaio

Guest STAVKA

Hi,Another strange effect is that i can't ice the airplane, i try for a long time with the Ice in the menus off and on, i fly high with large negative temperature and nothing ?!?!?!With best regardsTercio Sampaio

Guest Colins2

Tercio,Flying high and with large negtive temperatures will not get you ice.You need moisture, lower altitudes and temperatures at or just below freezing point,Colin

Colin,That's true, but I'm not sure the icing "systems" weren't broken when Fly!II was forced out the door early. However, I believe that ROTW incorporated rather dramatic icing into its DC-3 aircraft.

Randall Rocke

Guest STAVKA

Colin,Yes you are right but it is reality, try Fly!2 and say me how icing the airplane/pitot! It simply not ice and i try many many things and options!With best regardsTercio Sampaio

Guest Colins2

Randall,You may be right, I'm not sure.When I fly / Fly! I like to bumble around low 'n' slow in something that enables me to enjoy the scenery.Carb icing is my main worry...... :-)Colin