Sign in to follow this  
Guest hkmiller

New Video Card suggestion

Guest hkmiller

I played FlyII this weekend for the first time in ~1 year. It was enjoyable, but I had forgot quite a bit.I would like to upgrade my video card, and need some suggestions from the Fly experts.My cuurent set-up is an Athlon XP 2400, 512mb ram, Geforce 3 w/ 64mb ram. I use a 17" lcd.What I am looking for is faster frame rates and sharper (less jagged)lines.

Guest tonyc

Fly2, as with all flight sims, is mostly cpu intensive. The video cards do not affect frame rate very much. I have used a 6600gt and a fx5900 ultra, and found the 5900 to be better than the 6600gt. I suspect that FLY2 prefers the older video drivers, which were more suited to the older cards. If you must get a new video card, a 6600gt is just fine.tony

I have a fossil machine: PIII800, 512SDRAM PC133, WIN98SE. I had a GeForce256/64. This did ok but frame rates and smoothness went way up when I installed a FX5600/256M. FLYII liks lots of video RAM. FS9 does much better also but no where near as well as FLYII. Good luck,Earl