Sign in to follow this  
Macflyer

Flying the bush in Fly!2

Hi Flyers,just wondering if anyone uses Fly!2 for some extensive bush flying instead of "scheduled" airline services and can point me to some interesting "scenarios" (not essentially saved simulations files for Fly! but from your experience: what is fun/challenging to do?)I know there is BFU around but it seems everything they are talking about (BFU facilities, etc.) is only MSFS.Also, I scanned the file library and got some nice scenery of Alaska and thanks to Wayne Roberts there are some airports modelled, but any suggestions are very welcome!Thanks

G'day Macflyer,I don't think using Fly! II would eliminate you from getting involved with BFU. Sure most (all) of the jobs etc are geard for MS but that's just a reflection of the numbers. I'm sure that they would be interested in having a pirep from a fly! II user with some nice pics. Perhaps you might like to try some lake hopping up in Canada. Real bush pilots don't need runways :-)If you are really after a challenge then try operating a helicopter as a roof-top taxi service in any large city. Alternatively try landing a helicopter on a ship with a helipad on the back. That should keep you busy for about six months :-lolCheers,Roger

Hi Roger,thanks for your input. Yes, you are right. It is not impossible to do some flights for the BFU with other than MS. I picked a flight which takes me from Ketchikan (Scenery available) to Port Valdez (no custom scenery) and surrounding areas. It looks like a promising adventure. I

Well, we can always come up with some of our own bush sceneries aka like MSFS has. Steve Brown had created some basic dock models, and a "hut" (though it was for Antarctica), but I do not recall if he ever uploaded those here. But weve got some decent stuffam sure, to create some bush areas to go to.Mac, are you able to use DEX Importer at all? This is one of the problems with "cross platform" sims... In order to do bush scenery, one has to be able to modify some of the database files - mainly to add airstrips at the right coordinates. Wayne had talked about doing some of this a ways back, though we never seemed to get much response. Also, Tony Cervone created a Twin Otter plane, with a modified King Air (if I recall correctly) panel. The DHC6 is a fav bush plane, so check that out and see if you can Fly! it. :-hah If we ask nicely, we may be able to coax a repaint of the Twin Otter in Harvey Air livery from Steve, providing we can get Wayne's permission to use the livery / logo for such a purpose. Harvey Air was Wayne's attempt at creating a Fly! II virtual airline / service. UNfortunately, it is no longer up and running, due to lack of patronage. But one can most certainly use BFU's flight scenarios and have fun in so doing.Cheers!Ken Wood :-sun1http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/bannernewkw.jpgGateway 700X; Intel P4 2.4GHz; 512MB RAM; NVIDIA Ti4200 4X AGP 128MB; SB Audigy; Thrustmaster TopGun Fox 2 Pro Shock

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

Ken,thanks for your input. Yes, I can use deximport after all with Virtual PC, no problem. Would be lovely to have some special bush sceneries, but I found myself even missing normal airfields for Alaska in FLY

>> Would be great if we could show off a little at BFU with some nice Terrascene pictures (Im sure FS9 surpassed the quality of Fly!

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

Well,here is my suggestion: you and I are going to do our best and produce some stunning Alaskian scenery.I try to get a cheap PC solution just for the purpose of using Fly! and the tools in native enviroment. Not for the whole of Alaska there is SRTM data available. In fact it covers I think only the southeastern part.But I understand that elevation and textures are 2 different pair of shoes, right? So, if we render the textures first we still can later do something about the elevation.Then there are new textures for sale from Todd for 20$. They are improved textures and ready for terrascene2!I will post a link tomm.So, let me know what you think!

One can always re-add the DEM data later on, but it basically requires remaking the tile's pod, since one would want all the pieces in one pod for each tile / globetile. I think the Land Class data (LULC) and some of the DLGs may be of concern, but heck - if they could make it for MSFS, we should be able to do it for Fly!, right? :-)PM me so we can take this to regular emails, and then see what we can come up with.Cheers!Ken Wood :-sun1http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/bannernewkw.jpgGateway 700X; Intel P4 2.4GHz; 512MB RAM; NVIDIA Ti4200 4X AGP 128MB; SB Audigy; Thrustmaster TopGun Fox 2 Pro Shock

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

Got it, thanks! Will answer in short - I had to go to work very early this morning, and only now getting home. ;-)Ken Wood :-sun1http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/bannernewkw.jpgGateway 700X; Intel P4 2.4GHz; 512MB RAM; NVIDIA Ti4200 4X AGP 128MB; SB Audigy; Thrustmaster TopGun Fox 2 Pro Shock

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️