Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bill Hinton

Members of this community

Hi Bill and all,I am still lurking. I occasionally post something if I think I can add light and not heat to the discussion (hahaha) I still FLY! occasionally but mostly surf the web sites for addons for FLYII and MSFS9. I still love FLYII and feel in a small way a part of it since I was fortunate enough to have been chosen to be one of the beta testers. This came at the time when I was new to simin and was thrilled to participate. Didn't have a clue what I was doing but I tried! Hahah,, fond memories!God bless,Earl

Guest Mats_Frisk

Hi Bill and all others!I am one of those who really love Fly2, and has been using only it since it was released. And as long as ROTW and all you other freeware developers continue to do your fantastic work, I will be continuing to Fly.I am also one of those who, due to private life and work, has no time to do some contribution to this great community of Flyers. Sorry bout that. And by the way, Infometar is still "going strong". Mats

Guest DSandberg

> And by the way, Infometar is still "going strong". It's very heartening for me to see that some flyers are still finding InfoMETAR useful!I guess that some part of my misgivings about its usefulness with Fly! II come from my experience on the beta team for the final patch. If TRI would have seen fit to really allow the beta developers to have access to the sources needed to actually build new versions and test their work, I believe I could have made an enormous improvement in the real world weather support in the sim, and I was entirely willing to do so for free at the time. Unfortunately, TRI required that I only was given access to one specific weather-related source file, and that was not nearly enough to be able to ascertain what the remainder of the sources were doing with the weather info. In the end, any positive changes I tried to make in the weather of the final Fly! II patch were unavoidably sabotaged by this lack of access, so it was just really disappointing for me to see the sim left in that state. (Imagine trying to fix a car's starting problems by being given one spark plug that had been pulled from the engine.)David Sandberg

Guest tonyc

David, I am sure you are aware of the new open source, Fly! Legacy, effort going on. Perhaps you want to contribute to that code when it's time....tony

Guest DSandberg

I've heard about Fly! Legacy, absolutely. Unfortunately the circumstances aren't the same now as they were during Fly! II's patch process. Back then, it was at the height of the dot com crash, and I (like many, many other developers) was unsuccessfully looking for work at the time, so I had lots of spare time to work on Fly! II code. Whereas now I'm very busy with my development role at an audio software company (my dream job, in many ways, since I was a pro musician when I was younger), and what little spare programming time I might have is going toward educating myself in digital audio related stuff.David Sandberg

Guest tonyc

In many ways, we've all gone through life and career changes, and FLY still appears to be the thread that holds us together-- even if in some small way. tony

G'day Randall,>Yes, "GOD" was certainly a part of Fly!II's demise, but wasn't>"Take2" the main culprit?As I recall it was at "Take 2's" unwillingness to continue funding that forced the early release of Fly! II and that certainly didn't help (but TRI were actively patching).However I distinctly remember a post by a certain person." I have never seen such a bunch of spoilt ingrates" Doesn't anyone else remember? Unfortunately all the old posts were "lost" in an Avsim upgrade.I think the Flight sim community could benefit from a bit of serious navel gazing when it comes to TRI shelving Fly! II >It's not really important now - this is still a great sim Yep, 5 years on and still going strong.Cheers,Roger

Guest DSandberg

I agree totally. On the rare occasions when I fire up a flight sim these days it is MSFS ... nonetheless, I visit this forum far more often than I do the MSfS forum. Fiy! was special, and so is the community it gave rise to.David Sandberg

G'day Chris,Nice Pilatus Turbo Porter! Looks great. Good to see that Blender is getting a workout. Keep up the good work.Cheers,Roger

Hi Bill - Good to see you again here! I still lurk and hang out, still making some updates to the Seawind's panel and systems, etc. - trying to get it fully ready for an official "final" release. ;-) The panel is finalized - now just need to tweak the engine specs / performance and whittle down the AMP file (Alex??!!). Always looking forward to what Roger or ROTW creates and releases! David - I faithfully use InfoMetar - both for Fly! II and as a supplemental weather tool to my Digital Atmosphere weather proggie. Despite Fly! II's faults in the weather engine - InfoMetar works great for me. Of course, Jure's clouds are a must and with minor tweaking, produces some really great cloud effects. Do still wish the clouds were as good as original Fly!'s, but then - I still go on sojourns with Fly!2K, HITW's Sky! and various sceneries we produced way back when... Bart's AeroCommander comes to mind for many flights . ;-)Cheers!Ken Wood :-sun1http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/bannernewkw.jpgGateway 700X; Intel P4 2.4GHz; 512MB RAM; NVIDIA Ti4200 4X AGP 128MB; SB Audigy; Thrustmaster TopGun Fox 2 Pro Shock

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

Guest Dan G Martin

Hi there Bill I live on Vancouver Island and although I have not posted much here in a very long time I do however still check in every once and a while. Dan Martin

Hi Bill,Along with others I am unable to spend as much time simming as before. This is partly due to real life flying but I regularly practise with Fly particularly because of the excellent Grumman AA5 Roger modelled.I also frequently check the Fly Forum.:-wave

Guest nycflyer

I'm still around occassionally, although I haven't had much time for flight simmimg lately ...I was a beta tester for the Mac version of fly about 5 or 6 years ago, and wound up creating alot of New England airports that I'd visit in my real life flying...-----------------------Scott CannizzaroPPASEL-KTEB

Guest Fly II Pilot

Hi!I regularly check the forum but I haven't been Fly!ing or developing lately. I still haven't even tried the ATR!!! :-(My family and my aerospace job are keeping me busy and entertained... ;-)I owe some help to Ken and Roger and hope to be able to get to those projects soon.Nice to see that this community is still alive!!!Regards,http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/banneraa.jpg