Sign in to follow this  
Macflyer

Where do you come from?

As a flight sim veteran (my first experience: Atari 800 XL with FS 2 from Sublogic),I came along almost all simulations of aviation for the PC until 2001 when I got stucked with my outdated 233 Mhz Pentium II system. In September 2004 I made the switch to Mac OS X and I couldn

I started with MSFS2000. Beta tested FLYII. Bought Train Sim. Then bought FLY2K. Added XPlane 5. Then went to MSFS2002. Then became interested and bought FU3. Lastly, I still have all but MSFS2002, XPlane and FLY2K on my system and have added FS9. I use FS9 mostly with an occasional flight in FLYII.I will probably have to wait for MSX due to my antique system(PIII800, 512SDRAM PC133, WIN98SE, FX5600XT 256M)God bless,Earl

In an earlier life... took flight training for possible general aviation career in the early 70s ('71 through '73).Flight Sim for the AppleII and Jet for the AppleII. It was probably late '80s. It was amazing to me that I could simulate in my home some of my early actual flight experience, especially instrument flight. These sims seem extraordinarily crude by today's standards, but they were a giant leap at the time.Falcon - my first sim on a PC (486). It was an amazing, engrossing sim. I would actually get sweat trickling down my armpits from the tension of attempting to survive multiple missions and a campaign. Upgraded to Falcon 3.0 with later, more powerful computers.Edit: Whoa... almost forgot ATP by Sublogic. This was a ton of fun, when you consider the range of transports included, scenery and airports for the US, and ATC!FS98 - A nice sim for general flying, but not very realistic in feel and instrumentation.Pro Pilot - The first really good general aviation sim. The flight modeling was a big improvement and the intruments/controls were the most realistic. The scenery left much to be desired. It also required a specific type of VC (Voodoo?), or you couldn't experience some of the weather modeling (clouds) at full quality.Fly!2K - Saw it on the shelf one day and took it home. I didn't install it for about a month as I was busy with other things, but when I did, I was blown away! Nothing else came as close to my real flying experience at the time. I found it so engrossing (along with this community, which I discovered while searching for patches), that I pulled everything else related to simming (except for Falcon) off my sytem.I eventually switched over to Fly!II and was a member of the Beta team of patch development after release.Though MSFS has come a long way since Fly!'s release, and I have tested it on friend's machines, I have not found it interesting enough to add it to my system. I continue to do DB-editing and upgrades and scenery development whenever possible. If I was younger, I would probably have all sim types installed, but I just don't have the time, so Fly!II and Falcon give me all that I can handle (and more).Even when I don't have any time for simming, checking in with this community is always a pleasure.

Randall Rocke

How could I forget ATP??????? Thanks for reminding me.Actually I missed a day of school without a good excuse to go to town and get it and back home and running it on the PC hardware Emulator I had for my Amiga 500. Monochrome colors, kind of slow but it worked and was fun. I loved the ATC, the weather radar and it was soo much mooore realistic than what I had befeore.Also I got A320 Simualtor for the Amiga. I liked it a lot, too. Good package, nice books, real Jeppesen charts.....

Guest jjlobo

I have also started with Sublogic Flight simulator but can't recall when. I still have the world maps it came with. It was wonderfull.!!Then migrate to MS Flight Simulator 98, not sure thow.Next move was Fly I by its delivery then FlyII until now.I have tried other MSFS versios till 2004 but remained in Fly II.Considering now a more complete test of MXFS X. Tried its demo but didn't see any move for a more real cockpit environment but virtual cockpits. Still loving Fly II and its enviroment.JJLobo

Well, lesse...circa early to mid 80's - Timex-Sinclair TRS-80 (think that's what it was) - cassette tape flight sim (all wire-frame) late 80's / early 90's (gads, my mind is going!) subLogic's FS for Amiga; FA-18 Interceptor, f-117A by Microprose; Harrier, etc. just about every flight sim that cmae out for Amiga.Bought first pc and went to MSFS 4.0 - all subLogic scenery disks... "upgraded" to pc version of afore-mentioned Amiga sims. Bouoght a couple of helicopter sims - which were more games than actual sims... still got em all, too. Anyone still have a 5.25in drive?? :-hahGot subLogic's Flight Simulator ATP and all associated sceneries - still think it had the best ATC going.the the rest of the MSFS series... stopping with FS2004.ProPilot, the Flt Unlimited series - got II, didn't like it, but then got III and retro-purchased I and II to have the series). Tried X-Plane when Austin put it on "sale" at around 40 USD (think it was back at version 4 then), upgraded thru version 6 and stopped. Got too pricey for me.Bought Fly!, then Fly!2K and finally Fly! II.Fly! II is most used - ocassianally use MSFS2004 for the Orcas Island scenery, and still load up Fly!2K (for the more realistic clouds) and FUIII (cause of Puget sound).I can still recall posting here when I finished my first flight with Fly! - about how I kind of felt vertigo going through the clouds in Fly! and such. Felt that real to me back then.Cheers!Ken Wood :-sun1http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/bannernewkw.jpgGateway 700X; Intel P4 2.4GHz; 512MB RAM; NVIDIA Ti4200 4X AGP 128MB; SB Audigy; Thrustmaster TopGun Fox 2 Pro Shock

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster