Sign in to follow this  
Guest 3cffts

Terrascene scenery - Fly!II

Guest 3cffts

Have just upgraded to a larger hard drive and am able to install Terrascene2 scenery for the first time .... it is an amazing step up from the generic scenery ! Kudos to Randall Rocke and all others involved in this great work!!I see that in the file library there are Terrascene2 projects (not by Randall) designed for Fly! ... will they work as is with Fly!II ?In particular there is one for Greensboro NC ... or is there one that Randall has packaged for Greensboro and Raliegh-Durham NC area ? I am looking for the global tile to the east of Winston-Salem if it has already been packaged.Brian.

Hi Brian,Yep, I've got all of North Carolina and most of South Carolina covered. All that remains is a couple of global tiles in South Carolina to finish the region, but my career has intervened in the last year and made that difficult.The scenery you're looking for is my Raleigh Project Pack - it should be available here: http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=35448Fly!1 TS scenery may work, but it matters on the textures that were used. If the scenery is complete (already rendered), you could give it a try. If it is a project pack designed for the old textures, you'd either have to have them resident in your system, buy a new set, or assign a new texture set from Fly!II before rendering. Regardless, they would have half the default resolution of Fly!II.

Randall Rocke

Guest 3cffts

Randall, The Terrascenery from the Carolinas Project is amazing!!! Really great to fly over!! I would like to try a terrascene of globe tile 176-160, Cache Valley, Utah, unless there already a project pack that I have not discovered. How would I go about getting the USGS data and 7.5m DEMs?... what is the best way?If you know of a link to existing Terrascenery for Utah that would be even better.Brian

Brian,I haven't had a chance to do any TS generation for a while due to my work schedule. It's my understanding that the USGS has closed down the 7.5m DEMs, but that the other data was still available. If that's the case, then you could still generate scenery with the online data by not using the 7.5 shading option. You'd get decent scenery but loose some of the dimensionality.Frank Racis was nice enough to have downloaded and stored all of the Continental U.S. USGS data (including the 7.5m DEMs), and made it available to some of us. If you can cover a small cost (for DVD disks and shipping), I would be happy to copy the data and send it to you. Once you have the data, place it on a hard drive or run it from the DVDs by resetting the data paths in TerraScene.

Randall Rocke

Guest 3cffts

That is great if I can get the DVDs. I will send you my address and get other info via e-mail. Are you still on-line at "capvideo"?Brian.

Yes - If you have my capvideo address, send your snail-mail info there, or use the Avsim e-mail system.

Randall Rocke

Guest bwilson

Hello, Randall:May I request a copy also? blkwlsn@msn.comBlake

Guest chezz123

Hi Randal,I am still clue less how to point ts2 to read to the saved usgs data in my harddrive taht you sent me. Can you please post here the steps on how to do it.Thanks.chris_Ca

Hi Chris,Late yesterday, I finally "reinstalled" TS2 into my new computer installation and I have begun to check this out. It appears that I may have been wrong about Todd's Advanced options allowing for auto access to the data on a local drive. Here's what I've discovered so far...1. Todd's Autodownload options allow you to change two sets of parameters: the download URL and the download file storage location for TS rendering or personal storage.2. The first parameter was the one I thought we could set to any path (including a local drive), but so far my testing on this has failed. It appears that Todd "hard-wired" the code so that the path must be a true URL, or at least a hosted area (like a local web server).3. The second parameter can be any path, but only the default path will put the data where TS will render. The purpose for changing would be to download the data for a geographic area, but for storage purposes.For now, what this all means is you will need to copy the appropriate data for your scenery into the default USGS folder. This is not difficult, and the data on the discs has been beautifully organized into CD sets. Each of those sets, you may have noticed, includes maps of the coverage area, so it's fairly easy to figure out which sets you need to copy in for your scenery. Copy those folders into the data-filesUSGS folder in TerraScene. When you render, those files will be found and processing will begin.In the meantime, I have a theory that if I install web server software into my PC, I will be able to locally "host" the data in a URL path, allowing the autodownload system to pull the appropriate files automatically again. I'll test that theory over the next few days.

Randall Rocke

Guest chezz123

Hi Randall,Thanks for the info. I will try the last option. I hope you can figure out some way for TS2 to read data from other source other than connecting from a URL.in the mantime here what i'm busy before I can do some ts2.chris_CAhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/159715.jpg

Very nice, Chris! There's always something else to get into, isn't there?

Randall Rocke

Guest chezz123

Hi Randall,I finally make ts2 to read from the hard drive instead of connecting to the URL. I'm am now doing some terrascenery while trying to render the pilatus porter before doing the animations and will try to port in fly2.Thanks for the support. I still like the realism of fly2, and it's flight dynamics compare to you know : )chris_CA

Chris,Was this a manual placement of the data coverage in the USGS folder, or did you actually find a way to change the URL path configuration?

Randall Rocke

Guest chezz123

Hi Randall,I changed all the Autodownload URL path to my hard drive where the usgs data is located e.g. F:programfilests2data-filesusgsI copied all the dvd's you sent me to my harddrive and assigned them A-Z so whatever area I terrascened it will read from my hard drive.I am going to overlay the terrascened area with photo texture. :)Thanks.chris_CAhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/160006.jpg