Sign in to follow this  
Guest angels355

Fly!2K: Access Violation File= Line=-1

Guest angels355

Hello,Wow, this forum must be having some kind of technical problem, this is the fourth time I try to post this.My original Fly!2K installation is giving me problems, won't run at all. I installed it about two years ago, right next to FS98. I flew it fine for about 1500 hours straight, then started flying FS98 more, and had a second licensed installation of Fly!2K on another computer. So haven't flown Fly!2K on that original computer a great deal in recent months. But it was running fine. That computer has been off for the most part for about three weeks as I have been upgrading and overhauling my other computers. I changed monitors on that computer as the previous one was becoming dimmer and dimmer until I could not enjoy Fly!2K at all. Now the graphics are where they should be, and the resolution is 1024 and 32 bit high color on the desktop as usual. But when I try to start Fly!2K I get a small notice w/ red x which says:Fatal ErrorAccess ViolationAccess ViolationFile= Line=-1 OKDon't tell me I'm going to have to reinstall Fly!2K? I suppose that I could examine the new working installation with the old one, I can't remember the name of that critical file, it's analogous to the fs9.cfg file in fs9, I could compare those two and see if anything is out of whack new Fly!2K vs old Fly!2K. One time I accidently set the resolution too high in the original Fly!2K installation and it locked me out of the program, so I went into that configuration file whatever the name of it is, and changed it, and got it going. Perhaps it is some kind of problem like that?If I have to reinstall, it won't be that great of a loss, I just got another computer that I could put it on, that would allow me to run my two licensed copies of Fly!2K on two machines at the same time plus FS98 at the same time. But darn, that original installation had a lot of memories for me. The newer computer is more powerful however, I could probably install more high density terrain.Still have to get Fly!2. Is a 500 mhz pentium III two slow to run Fly!2?

G'day Angels355,Straight off the side of the Fly! II box (U.S. release) :-System requirementsPentium II 333 ( Pentium III 500 recommended)When I first started using Fly! I was using a Celeron 300A (overclocked to 450 :-) ) BUT ... as the guys with MSFSX are discovering, what's written on the side of the box is what's necessary to physically run the program and not what's necessary to enjoy the program. :-)Soooooo yes it will run - but taking into account our performance acceptibility levels have risen in direct proportion with hardware performance increases since 2001 then you may not be too happy with some aspects of performance. If you really want to ENJOY the sim then I wouldn't reccommend it.I think your access violation may have something to do with your VCF file for your video card. Cheers,Roger

Guest angels355

Thanks Roger, I appreciate your dedication to the Fly! series. VCF file, I had one video driver update maybe a year ago, do you think I might need another newer update?

Angels 355,> Driver update....??NO! If you haven't changed any of your graphics hardware it shouldn't be necessary. Driver updates are generally to fix bugs with certain hardware. If the driver was working OK for you before then I see no reason for you to go to a later driver. Randall is much more technically knowledgable than me and if you are having a problem I suggest you email him privately.Cheers,Roger

Guest angels355

Roger,You pointed me in the right direction w/ regards to the VCF file, from there I discovered that I had a new video driver, however, still it was not the very latest, these 'puters are really sensitive. I got the new vid driver, and I was back in business. I was just flying over the Himalayas in my C-130, and now I'm prepping to take off from KSFO in Rob's Lear 35A. With the new monitor and vid driver this sim has never looked better.Whew, I was really worried there for a minute. Staying on top of computer maintenance is a really big deal, this original installation is living proof.