Sign in to follow this  
Guest GalacticCowboy

Just For Fun 1: What's your Home Airport Like?

Quad City International airport in Moline IL, which serves the entire Quad City Metro area. Airlines are:Airtran, I think DC-9s, to AtlantaUnited Express,Bae-146's and CRJ's to Chicago O'Hare and DenverAmerican, MD-80's and possibly 717's, to St. LouisNorthwest Airlink, Saab340's and CRJ's to Detroit, Minneapolis, and Memphis.Skyway, B1900's to MilwaukeeATA Connection, Saab340's to Chicago MidwayThree runways, the longest being 9/27, which is 10'000 ft. long.

Guest Jack

"Oh, yeah, I almost forgot.....The Tailwind Cafe at Ocala Aviation Services has the best airport food....ANYWHERE!" I'll second that emotion!!! I ate all my meals there while I waitedfor Delta flight to Atlanta. On third day someone told me Delta only stops in Gainseville, 35 miles North. Tch! tch!But I surely ate well!!JackDKOCF

Guest KenG

My first dual x-country during my PPL training was to OCF. My first x-coutnry as a certificated pilot was to OCF. The airport is pretty darn nice and the food was not bad.BTW, KVDF (Vandenberg) is where I trained and is therefore my home airport. Most all traffic is local private GA with some commuter traffic thrown in to mess up the students doing pattern work for RW5 (the commuters like to use the GPS approach for RW23 and will NOT waive off and use the active). The version is FS2002 is reasonable except they made the taxiways and ramp area around RW5/23 appear to be made of REALLY soft concrete.

I may not be a pilot yet, but Republic Airport (KFRG) in Farmingdale, New York is where I'll be learning soon. It's an general aviation airport catering mostly to executive travel (I've seen some cool bizjets there, including a Falcon 50). SUNY Farmingdale, which is not too far from Republic, hosts its aviation courses there as well. They also have an aviation museum with fighters decorating the interior (and the occaisional bomber outside the hangar).http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/airpho/frg.htm

Guest Lizardo

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA area: Blue Ash (KILZ) right out my window, and a few miles away Lunken (KLUK). 3500' for KILZ, 6101' for KLUK.

Mine is KPHX Sky Harbor....3 East West Runways/3 Terminals--somewhere around 80-90 gatesAirlines include:Southwest, Scenic Air, America West, ContinentalFrontier, Northwest, Great Lakes, MesaAmerican Trans Air, Delta, American, United AirlinesU.S. Airways, Lufthansa, British Airways, Air CanadaAeroMexico, Alaska, Midwest ExpressHawaiian (Beginning in October)I get to visit Sky Harbor next week--have to take a last minute business trip to SFO for a couple of days. It's an amazing "one stop shop" airport--non-stops to London and Frankfurt, and almost every major city in the U.S. John, KPHX

D.M.Are you familiar with Oestrich? I stayed at the Hotel Schwan in 1982 and 1984. My room faced the Rhine, and I remember one steamer that made so much noise, I just couldn't sleep! I've also stayed in St. Goar and Bacharach a couple of times in '89 and '91. I chose my room wisely then :)Here in Phoenix, Germany is only a ten hour Lufthansa flight away. I hope to fly the route sometime in the next few years, as I'd love to take my wife to see the German, Austrian and Swiss Alps.John, KPHX

Guest HeavyFan

Hi guy's! well my home airport is PHNL-Honolulu Intl! It gets all kines of diffrent flight's from all over! we get a lot of vairty of airline companies! like JAL,JaLWays,United,American,Continental,ATA,Qantas,Air NewZealand,Fed Ex,UPS,Lufthansa,Evergreen,Gemini Cargo,Northwest,HAwaiian,ANA,Korean,Air Canada,China Airlines,Delta.Even get classic planes that are not around too much like ATA's L-1011's,Notrthwest DC-10-40's,Hwaiian DC-10's, We Also get mostky 767's and 757's to the mainland, but United uses some of it's great 777's here which I love to see!I know i forgot some Airlines but thats just a sample of what comes to my Home Airport of PHNL Intl! MIKE-:)

Guest Delta_747

I happen to live in Cincinnati too(well across the river in Kentucky, but close enough to see the city). I wouldn't call Lunken my home airport, but the bigger Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport. I can useally see the planes on approach to the East-West runway.The airlines that fly out of here are:Delta (2nd largest hub)Comair-DL Connection (home base for them)All your majors- AA, UA, US Air, CO, and NWA few charters like Sunworld and I belive SpiritAir France (daily 767-300 from Paris)and if I forgot any my other KCVG buddies can tell ya!

Guest Vulcho

My home airport is the same as Georgi's. KLAX. It's big, 4 parallel runways, lots of traffic, many planes, very smoggy above it, many people 24/7, smoggy, and ummmm, smoggy. ;-)2 Bulgarians (see flag in both posts) having the same airport and not having met. Funny huh? :-)http://turnhead.com/dot/alex/banner-stroke.gif

My home airport is Gillespie Field (KSEE). I live about 1 mile from 27L and always have GA airplanes flying over my house :)The busiest airport located in my area would have to be San Diego International (KSAN). It has one runway 27/9 which is 9400 x 200 ft. I really think it is a nice airport to visit, especially the western terminal where the international flights are, along with Delta :)Airport Operational StatisticsAircraft based on the field: 7Jet airplanes: 4Helicopters: 3Aircraft operations: average 566/day74% air carriers 18% commuters 8% transient general aviation<1% military Airlines that fly out of San Diego:AeroMexicoAir CanadaAlaska AirlinesAmerica West AirlineAmerican AirlinesBritish Airways (Boeing 777-200)Continental AirlinesDelta AirLinesFrontierHawaiian Airlines (Boeing 767-300)Horizon AirMesa AirlinesNorthwest AirlinesSky WestSouthwest AirlinesSun Country AirlinesU.S. AirwaysUnitedBrandon

I was at LAX a few weeks ago and loved every minute of it. I think from now on when I plan a flight I am going to purposely schedule it so I have a couple hours in LAX just so I can watch airplanes!! :-lol I enjoyed it especially since it was my first time seeing 777's, MD-11's, 747's, and A330s (alot of foreign carriers too) up close it was absolutely amazing!

Jack,Do you live in Ocala?MikeKOCF

I live in a suburb of Philadelphia so that is the main International airport. I am a fire fighter in a Township (Whitpain)and we have a local airport that we peotect not on the airport grounds though. N67 Wings field is the airport I consider home. We see all landings to Runway 24 directly over our firehouse. Last summer the runway was lengthened and now we get the occasional lear jet or something similar. It is fun to watch the landings.Andrew