Sign in to follow this  
Guest GalacticCowboy

Just For Fun 1: What's your Home Airport Like?

Guest JonP01

Geof,You and Peter Sidoli should get together and publish a book of nothing but full colour - 1 per page - aerial photographs from your flying trips.

Living in London Ontario Canada I would have to say London is my favored airport CYXU.It has one ILS front course Rwy 15 and a back course Rwy 33.The terminal is being enlarged in order to handle the many North Amereican flights which we are seeing more of such as Air Canada cheap rate Tango Airline, North West Regional airline and many others.My Virtual airport is Toronto Pearson CYYZ which has Stars and Sids, All runways have ILS approaches and is manned daily with ATC via Vatsim.I live 15 min from the London Airport and a 2 Hr drive to the Toronto Airport.Take care everyone and be safe.Kenny G.

Guest Jack

Mike, Yes. Marion County, just on NW side of Ocala. Stopped here on my way to retirement some 5 years ago. Great place, but wish they had locked the door after I arrived. JackD

My home base airport is Edward F. Knapp State Airport (KMPV) in Berlin Vermont, Serving the State Capital of Montpelier. It has two runways 35-17 at 5000 feet with an ILS on 17 and 5-23 at 4022 feet. Right now 5-23 is the primary runway since they are repaving 17-35. the only scedualed service that comes in to Knapp is Wiggins Airways which is a contract air freight company for UPS, out of Manchester NH flying Beech 99's. Samble's Resturant located in the terminal building is one of the best resturants in the Capital region. Traffic is mostly light General avation with the ocasional Biz Jet.The Big airport is Burlington International (KBTV) located in South Burlington VT. It has 2 runways, 15-33 at 8320 feet and 1-19 at 3611 feet. it has considerable Biz jet, GA and of course Airline traffic flying everything from Beech 1900's to A320's. Most of the traffic consists of Beech 1900's from Comutair (Coninental Express) CRJ's from United Express, Delta Conection using 328 Jets, Northwest Express with CRJ's, Lots of Dash 8-100's from Allegheny (US Air Express) Us Air with 737's, Jetlink (Continental Express) with either ATR 42's or ERJ-145's Jet Blue with A320's and Fed Ex with a 727. Also the Vermont Air National guard is located on airport flying F-16 C/D's and the Vermont Army Guard flying UH-60Q's and one King Air.Knapp Airport info (with photo)http://www.vermontairports.com/barre.htmlBurlington info (With photo)http://www.vermontairports.com/btv.htmlAlso try out my Burlington VT FS2002 scenery in the library :-)Vermont and New England Air Guard info (Nice Photos)http://www.phil123.addr.com/Also I have pics of some planes at Knapp on my website.. click the banner :-)Brian

Mine is CYVR, I can see the planes on short final (about 200ft AGL) to RW26R from my living room window. One of the most amazing sights (although disturbing), was to see all the diverted planes land on 9-11 in very quick succession - and sorted by airlines, i.e. for half an hour there were only United planes, then half an hour of Northwest and so on. I think some of the unsung heroes of that day were the Canadian air traffic controllers who managed to get all those planes down safely.Cheers,Gosta.

Guest Boaz

My home airport is Copenhagen Intl. EKCH/CPH.The bare facts are: Movements in year 2001: 288,739 (takeoffs or landings)Passengers in year 2001:18.1 millionsFreight in year 2001: 379,037 tonsArea and runway systemsThe airport area, approximately 11.8 square kilometres, is divided naturally into four geographical areas by the three runways:The Northern Area accommodates the three passenger terminals, the train station and car park, the police station and other administration offices, the Aerochef flight kitchen, the SAS Cargo Center and SAS's technical area with four big hangars. The Eastern Area accommodates the freight terminals for DHL and NOVIA, the Veterinary and Customs Centre, offices for forwarding agencies and the Gate Gourmet flight kitchen. The Southern Area accommodates the technical bases for Maersk Air, Premiair, Sterling, MUK Air and FLS Aerospace. The Western Area accommodates Statens Luftfartsv

Well I live near

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Hey Jack, SW side of town here, SW 80th Ave SR 200 area. I agree, it's getting more and more crowded all the time, but I guess it's job security for me, I'm in traffic engineering.Take Care,MikeKOCF

Guest tcable

I Live less than a mile from KTAN (Taunton Muni) all 2700' of runway :) We're almost exclusively single engine airplanes, theough there is a Dutchess based here and I've seen a CJ here in the past week- we're only 10 minutes from Ocean Spray's HQ.I'm 20 miles from KPVD- where I try to catch airline service and about 30 from KBOS. Both are well served cities, with BOS being far busier of the 2 including international service. PVD has service my all the East coast majors, dominated by USairways and Southwest. As of right now, SWA's longest scheduled flight is PVD-PHX (soon to be BWI-LAX). PVD is the better airport for access by far, as they have a fairly new terminal with direct interstate access, and much lighter traffic than Boston. Boston is undergoing a major reconstruction- they have just closed Terminal A for a major rehab and when it reopens, it will be Delta's terminal. US Airways has recently finised expanding their terminal so they have 3 gates that can handle A330's even though they never come here- just Aer Lingus. Terminal E (international/ NWA) is also undergoing a major rehab along with all of teh airport roads to finish the connections to the Ted Williams Tunnel and the Big Dig project downtown.Tim

I live 11 miles from Nogales International airport KOLS. It has one 7200 foot runway (21-3). It is mainly for GA and Corporate aircraft, bur occationaly larger cargo aircraft land there, even a Boeing 737 cargo aircraft. They are mainly to service the Maquiladora plants (assembly plants)in Nogales, Sonora, Mexico. The Border Patrol also has a helicopter stationed there, and U.S. Customs Service is stationed there to inspect aircraft ariving from Mexico. The Mexican border is about 6 miles from the airport.

Guest GalacticCowboy

The nearest large airport is KIND. I live about 20 miles away, but I work almost directly under the FAF/outer marker for runways 23L & R. IND has a FedEx regional hub, so they've got a lot of traffic. Also a major ATA hub, though they're moving some to KMDW. Friend of mine is a pilot for them. We also see a lot of regional-jet traffic from the Chicago, Cincinnati/Columbus and St. Louis areas. Three runways, 2 parallel (5L-23R, 11,200 ft and 5R-23L, 10,000 ft) and one perpendicular (14-32, 7600 ft). The Concorde used to come through here. I was at work the day of its last IND flight several years ago, departed 5L for JFK. What a loud beautiful noise. :)Nearest GA airport is KUMP, about 6 miles from my house. Single runway (15-33, 3860 ft), mostly light stuff though I've seen a few small jets there too. UMP is right in the middle of the 3 richest communities in Indiana, so I imagine a lot of them keep their aircraft there. There's a new shopping center right under the final for 33 and a nice ice cream stand right across the road from the end of 15, so my daughter and I like to sit out and spot planes. :) She's only 4, but sometimes I think she loves airplanes as much as I do. :) At IND there's a park-and-ride along the road that's approximately mid-field and I always thought it would make a good spot to plane-spot. However, after 9-11 they closed it...

KITH remains the main umbilicus between Ithaca, home to both Cornell University and Ithaca College, and the outside world. When I was a student back in the 80's the main terminal was a single room - looking more like a small bus station than an air terminal. They built a new one which is quite nice but still only has two gates and no skyways. The old terminal is still there and I sometimes walk up there with my 5y old son to look at it. I can vividly recall waiting there to catch Eastern Airlines and Alleghany flights to Newark and beyond.Ithaca is notorious for bad weather and you can count on plenty of IFR, particularly in the winter, if you use FSMeteo.In FS2K2, the new terminal corresponds to the building at the northernmost part of the field. The sim erroneously parks GA aircraft there. The sim also places two big round tanks at the field which are not there in real life but misses a large water tower at the same site which is checkered red and white (I thought for the longest time that was because Cornell's colors are red and white). The hangers in the sim are approximately where the East Hill Flying Club is. The view down RWY14 looks about right. The big hill in the distance is in Varna. If you fly the ILS to RWY32 you will come rather close to the top of it. Last Spring a Baron descended below minimums in IMC conditions and narrowly missed a house before becoming a lawn ornament. Everyone walked away, fortunately.Take off from RWY32 and you will be treated to a beautiful view of Cayuga Lake, one of New York State's fingerlakes. If your engine fails on rotation, though, you'll take out a chainlink fence and a few acres of scrub brush in the same way a Learjet did last fall. Unfortunately, that incident didn't have a happy ending.As for traffic, the FBO owns a few corporate jets and a King Air. Our airport is only serviced by USAir now and we mostly see B1900s (call sign "Alleghany"), Dash 8s ("Midwest Express") and ERJs, but all in USAir colors. The flying club owns 3 152s, 2 172s, and a Mooney. There's also some crazy guy in an ultralight from time to time! Land back on RWY32 and you'll pass over RT13 just before the threshold. My son loves it when the planes pass over the car!Hey instead of just talking about this, why don't we have flyins at some of our favorite airports? I'll make the pancakes!David

Guest Jack

Hi Ken, Had never heard of Vandenberg till it came up on my "select airport options" ATC just a couple of days ago. I actually wondered if they had misplaced Vandenberg AFB! How quick we are to blame MS for any real or imagined glitch. Which brings up your comment about "REALLY soft concrete". This A.M. there was report of BA 777 on runway in Antigua STUCK IN FRESH ASPHALT that had not been laid down properly and didn't set. And the airport officials were saying "not be our problem, mon" even tho'their world was at a standstill! Truth IS stranger than fiction!Regards,JackD

Guest GalacticCowboy

>My son loves it when the planes pass over the car! I grew up near Dover AFB (KDOV) and have been directly under C5's landing or taking off on a number of occasions. :)