Sign in to follow this  
Guest GalacticCowboy

Just For Fun 1: What's your Home Airport Like?

Guest 727Fan

Thought I'd perhaps start a thread for folks here to tell everyone what their home airport is, what airlines (if any) fly in and out of it, etc.Feel free to tell it all.RickI'll get back to this post when I return from Las Vegas on Sunday night.Leaving KMKE aboard brand new B 737-900 ATA (with big winglets!!)Should be fun!!

My local field is Ocala "International" (KOCF)We're under the Jacksonville Center, and designated as a foriegn trade zone/ port of entry. Rwy 18/36 is the longest of 2 runways, at 6907 ft with ILS on rwy 36. The airport is home to mainly GA and Business aircraft, but we get a semi monthly 727 cargo flight with thoroughbred horses coming in and out of the many horse ranches in the area. Other than that KOCF is sometimes used as a staging area for forestry service water bombers during wild fires, and the ocasional Coast Guard C130 or helo on a fuel stop.Airport operational stats:(From AirNav)Aircraft based on the field: 104 Single engine airplanes: 71 Multi engine airplanes: 22 Jet airplanes: 7 Helicopters: 4 Aircraft operations: average 136/day71% local general aviation28% transient general aviation<1% military <1% air taxi Oh, yeah, I almost forgot.....The Tailwind Cafe at Ocala Aviation Services has the best airport food....ANYWHERE!MikeKOCF

I live in the middle of quite a few airports some major and some not..I live inbetween Danbury Municipal (KDXR), Hartford-brainard, or Bradley (KBDL), Westchester, or White Plains (KHPN), and laguardia (KLGA), John F Kennedy (KJFK), and last but not least Newark (KEWR). I fly out of KDXR, which is a little airport, however the approach is tricky because it is in a valley with mountainous terrain all around and when you land you go about 50 feet over a highway, very little margin of error....

My home airport is Grand Forks International (GFK), North Dakota. Though it should really be named University of North Dakota Flying Park. Used mostly for UND flight training, but serviced by Northwest with flight to/from Minneapolis (MSP). Two parallels with a perpendicular runway make the layout. I finished my private pilot training here with the local FBO. More info at http://www.airnav.com/airport/KGFK.

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

my home airport is EBAW (Antwerp) in Belgium,Europeit's also very near to the big and international Brussels airport (EBBR)EBAW has one runway (29/11) and is mostly served with GA,although there are many services with F-50 every day

i live on a 3 mile final to the 24's at Cleveland Hopkins (KCLE). 2 main runways - 24L/6R, 24R/6L and also 28/10. CLE is in the process of building a new 24R/6L to replace the old. the new one will be 9,000' long. 24L/6R will be extended from 9,000' to 12,000' when the 1st one is completed.we're a Continental hub. ERJ heaven here!chris

Guest georgi55

My home airport is KLAX. I dont think I need to explain its size ;)

Not much to brag about. Northwest Airlink SF340B to MemphisContinental ATR42-500, CRJ and 737-500 to HoustonDelta Embraer 120 to Dallas-Fort Worth since American Eagle pulled out. UPS flies a nice 757-200 daily.The airport does house the local air ambulance service and Petroleum Helicopters in nearby.http://www.lftairport.com/Brent

Guest cj_flys_wmu

Mine is KAZO (Kalamazoo / Battle Creek International Airport.)It is a typical Class D TRSA. One runway 6200 feet or so long (35-17), one 3500 feet or so (23-5) and one really short at 2800 or so feet long (9-27).We have one big FBO on the field and quite a few regionals going in and out. The regionals that fly there are:Mesaba (Northwest Airlink, callsign Mesaba)Pinnacle (Northwest Airlink, callsign Flagship, used to be Jet Express)Northwest Airlines (Call sign Northwest obiously)P.S.A. (U.S. Air Express, call sign Blue Streak)Air Wisconson (United Express, unofficial call sign Air Whisky)Comair (Delta Connection, call sign Comair)American Eagle (American / TWA feeder, Call sigh Eagle Jet)There are quite a few airliners going in an out:Northwest: DC-9Mesaba: RJ-85, Saab 340 (to be phased out soon with the new CRJs)Pinnacle: CRJs (very cool looking in the Northwest livery I might add)P.S.A.: Dornier 328Air Whisky: Dornier 328Comair: CRJAmerican Eagle: ERJ-135s and ERJ-145 (Mostly -145s though)I have done quite a bit of instrument training lately and it gets real busy during the day. You have the FBO planes, the airliners and many of the Western Michigan University planes from Battle Creek International mixing in the pattern. We have all the approaches as well: ILS, LOC BC, VOR, NDB, GPS. All in all, it is a really cool airport to fly out of.Take care and safe flying!!!-C.J. StarrPPL, Instrument Student

KPDK Peachtree DeKalb Airport.One of the larger and most active G/A airport in the metro atlanta area.It's a great place to fly out of and my favorite appoarch because if you are landing 20L or 2L you get to cross over right over I285 (the death trap) as it's called here.I285 in it's calmer sence is also known as the perimeter because it does a complete circle around atlanta.It's called the death trap because the traffic is so much and very dangerous.Now on to something happy :) You can go to The Downwinds Restraunt at PDK.It is about 200 feet from rwy 16-36.Those runways have been closed for awhile but 20L is about another 200 feet away and it makes some great lunch convo if you are not flying that day ;)http://www.pdkairport.org/economic.htmRichard Dillon KATLSr First Officer www.jetstarairlines.com"Bill Grabowski's"ERJ-145 panel Beta TeamMD-11 panel Beta Team____________________________"Lets Roll" 9/11 Specs AMD 1600 XP 512MB DDR GF3 ti 200 64MB SBliveCh Products Yoke and Pedals(usb)Windows 2000 SP2

I am in the UK and my local airport is about 15 miles away called East Midlands.It is the base for British Midland who fly mainly European routes with Fokker 70/100 and Boeing 737's. It has a lot of Brittania 757/767's flying charter routes, and now has the budget airlines go-fly and BMI baby flying from there.As well as that, it is the largest cargo hub in the UK, with UPS and DHL having their own terminals, with the odd 747 dropping in occasionally.

Guest Dominik Mann

Well, just look at my sig :-) ...I'm living about 10 miles or so away from Frankfurt am Main (to the airport it's another few miles, though). There's currently a spirited discussion going on whether or not a fourth runway should be built. On one hand EDDF is slowly but surely reaching its sortie limits, on the other hand there is much resistance across the densely populated Rhein-Main area against the expected higher noise and pollution levels. Guess only time will tell where those expansion plans lead to.

My home field is Butler County/K.W. Scholter Field (KBTP). It's a rather generic, run of the mill GA field sort of across the street from my house. There used to be a few US Airways flights a day (using Dash 8s), but they ended those a few years ago. Someone flies a King Air 350 that's painted exactly like the default one in FS2002 on shuttle flights down to KPIT a few times a day now. If you're curious about it, FS's reproduction of it is really good. They only missed two or three buildings. Too bad the terrain surrounding the place is all wrong.

Guest SoarPics

2Q3 Yolo Co./Woodland/Winters16/34 6000'El. 103'Near KSMF (Sacramento), where I often practice my ILS approaches.We have a well respected Beech dealer, and a skydiving operation (with, sadly, the occasional "splat"). And we also have a sensational restuarant... whenever the vending machines are restocked :-lol No $100.00 hamburgers, but plenty of clear air and nice folks.Regards,

My home airport is Lake In The Hills (3CK), which is northwest of Chicago O'Hare by about 25 miles. Just a single paved runway (26/08) that is 3000' long and 50' wide. Despite being a small airport with no control tower, there is quite a bit of traffic. There are 2 separate flight schools, a charter service, and a pilot shop. There are a number of small jets based here. There are 2 fairly large hangars, several smaller ones, and multiple strings of T-hangars. There are some really neat aircraft housed in some of the bigger hangars:(1) Beechcraft AT-11 Kansan twin-engine Bomber/Trainer from WWII(see http://www.visualflightrules.com/AircraftPhotos/AT-11.asp for pictures)(2) AT-6 Texans(2) T-28 Trojans(2) Maule float planes (1 with turbine engine)(1) T-34C Turbomentor(2) Stearmans(1) Cessna Stationair fitted with floats(1) Cessna Conquest I(3) Dassault Falcon 10's(2+) Cessna Citation II's(2) Pitt Specials(1) SU27? AerobaticAnd of course, numerous other small Cessna/Piper/Mooney/etc aircraft.I think there about 150 aircraft based at the airport.