Sign in to follow this  
Guest 3cffts

Changes to runway markings

Guest 3cffts

Hi All:I have a runway that needs markings added; the white bars at the end of the runway, and white touchdown squares. What is the best way to add these markings to a runway.Also, I have another runway that is now closed. In the blue FlyII pop-up it describes the runway as closed, but it still has runway numbers on it, touchdown squares, and no "X"s. How would I delete the numbers and add the "X"s for a closed runway? I have looked at TerraModels and the Fly scenery editor but they don't appear to have such an editing capability ... am I missing something again?Cheers,Brian.

Hi Brian,The Runwaynumbers (and all other Runwayinformations) are stored in the Runway-database. Voledit from ROTW is a good tool to edit this database.I am not sure if there is the possibility to to mark a runway as closed in this database.cheersHarald

G'day Brian,Have a look at the pinned thread on databases at the beginning of the Fly!II developers forum. There is a breakdown of the information that is contained in the airport/runways databases. It will give you an idea of how Things are done in Fly! II. Deleting the numbers is allowed for but as Harald states I also couldn't see any means by which XX could be placed instead of numbers.Cheers,Roger

Brian,The Taxiway program from Peter Jacobson will add some runway markings, including the "X" for a closed runway.Available originally as a stand-alone program for Fly!, the program is included with Fly!II and is the best way to edit or create new taxiways and some special runway markings. If you've never used it, it is in the Fly!IItaxiway folder and includes complete documentation.

Randall Rocke

Guest 3cffts

Hi Harald, Roger and Randall:Many thanks for your help guys! Harald and Roger; Thanks for the thread to the decode sheet for the DBD and runway markings. I see now how to code a "O" to remove the existing runway numbers .... but as you say I cannot see an option to put "X"s on the closed runway.Randall; Yes, I am using Peter Jacobson's Taxiway V2.0, but I do not see a menu item that allows for putting "X"s on a runway .... am I missing something here? - I do have the "airport properties" pop-up showing the runway as closed - but no "X"s appear on the runway when running FlyII>Another point I am struggling with, how do I add the white touchdown squares and the bars at the very end of the runway?Cheers,Brian.

Guest Dan G Martin

Hi there Brian if I remember right (it's been a while) there are a large number of choices when editing the database for each runway I.E. Instrument runway, precision instrument runway etc. You will have to look at the values from a existing database entry that has the types of markings you want. Also you can edit the lighting (both runway and approach) for each runway as well again by simply editing the values in the database. I know that I used to spend a lot of time editing the airportrunway databases but as I no longer have Fly!II on my computer I've forgotten more than I remember!. Also one more thing if I remember right we put out a listing of most of the database values and what they represent, someone like Randall might still have it.Hope this is of some help to you Dan Martin

Brian,The standard runway markings (touchdown points, etc.) are automatically added mattering on the runway database selections (type of runway) you make when editing the Runway DBD. The standard DB list, as was mentioned, is available in the Fly!2 Database Mini-Tutorials thread of the Developer's forum.For instance, here are some of those parameters:--------------------------------------------------------Runway Marking Type (one value only)--------------------------------------------------------Unknown = 0None = 0Basic = 1Buoy = 2NPI = 4NumbersOnly = 5NonStandard = 6PIR = 7STOL = 8Use the VolEdit program to edit the parameters and create a DEX file. Then, import the DEX with DexImport to make the changes.In the Taxiway program manual, Peter adds the following note about marking closed runways: "To display X's on closed runways, turn off taxiway display. Right click on the runway. Check the "Closed" box."

Randall Rocke

Guest Dan G Martin

Thanks Randall like I said I've said I have forgotten much of what I once knew. Dan

Guest 3cffts

Hi Guys:I now have the the touchdown and threshold markings o.k. -- but am still unable to get the Taxiway Editor V2.0 to put "X"s on the closed runway. When I right click, with the 'view taxiways' off, I get the 'properties' pop-up and check the 'closed' box - but still I do not get "X"s. The airport info pop-up says the runway is closed - but I believe dynamic acft still use it. - and I still have runway numbers showing.I have tried all the parameters for amending the 'Runway Marking Type' in the 'Runway POD', but could not find one that affixes "X"s.If there is a Fly runway with "X"s, maybe I could find out from the database how to solve my problem? I have found four U.S. airfields so far with closed runways, but none have "X"s. (NHZ, LGU, 17J and Waldron field) Does anyone know of a U.S. airfield with a runway that has "X"s on it? - one that is in the database and has not had "X"s added with the Taxiway Editor? Cheers and many thanks for your help,Brian.

Brian,And...after you checked the closed box in taxiway, you then saved the taxiway files and imported them into Fly!II?

Randall Rocke

Guest 3cffts

Randall:I have the .bgr, .tms and .txp files in the FlyIIdata directory. I modified them right there with the Taxiway Editor and have been doing this all along and any changes seem to take effect, except the "X"s. Should I place these files in the Taxiways directory?Brian.

Brian,I would think that should have done the trick. The only difference btwn the data area and the Taxiways directory is how the file paths are denoted (those in the Taxiways directory have to be in PODs).Maybe this is a part of the Taxiway Editor that doesn't function properly.

Randall Rocke

Guest 3cffts

Randall:Would you be able to try editing the "LGU" closed runway sometime to see if Taxiway editor/FlyII on your computer will add "X"s? I wonder if the Taxiway Editor V1.0 would be any different from V2.0 that I am using... and if I were to use V1.0 to "X" the runway, what would happen to all the editing changes I have made with V2.0? It does seem that at one time this function of the editor did work.Brian

G'day Brian,Many moons ago when I was making my Sydney scenery I found that so long as the coast pod file contained the Sydney tile then it would always display that one irrespective of the fact that I had my new file in the directory. It wasn't until I removed the original Sydney tile from the coast pod that my new file would be recognised by Fly!II.Yes, this occurred with SearchPodFilesFirst=0 This doesn't seem to work for all pods.I was wondering if you still have the old airport file in the database pod? Maybe you have a similar problem?Cheers,Roger