Sign in to follow this  
Guest 3cffts

TerraScene-changing colour of mountains.

Guest 3cffts

Hi All: I am attempting to change the colour of the mountains in Utah from what appears to be forest green to a more appropriate colour. Can someone give me some guidance on the best way to do this?I have gone into the gentex.pod and using Photoshop have amended the colours of the file Mountains-forest-green.tga and re-podded the gentex.pod. But this change seems to make no difference in Fly! scenery after re-slicing the globe-tile.Am I amending the wrong file, or do I need to put the changed file somewhere else?Brian

Brian,Don't change anything in gentex - those are not used by TerraScene, but by the Fly!II default scenery engine.TS imported the textures, then created its own library. The texture library available within TS is extensive. It may already have a different texture that would be appropriate. If that is the case, make a new custom texture set (render pack) and change the mountain assignments. Assign the new pack to your project and render.If none of the other textures are what you are looking for, open the closest texture in Photoshop or a similar program and edit the color. Save the new texture with a new name and put it in a custom folder which you can then access to make a custom render pack. Be sure to save in the JPEG format and maintain about the same file size and resolution as the original. Assign this custom render pack to your project.

Randall Rocke

Guest 3cffts

Randall: If I take the Mountains-forest-green.tga that I have already edited, and rename it, will it be acceptable to TS?Since my edited file is as far as I know the same resolution as it was in gentex.pod, and it is about the same size file, will it be o.k. for TS?If so, what directory do I put it in? And how do I assign it so that TS knows it is to be used?Brian.

Brian,I believe most of this is covered in the manual. If you have trouble with this, let me know, and I'll put together a list of procedures with some captured images.First of all. I would say that the TGA is probably not what you should mess with. TS2 uses the textures in its texture library in the textures folder. The base subfolder holds the base textures that were created when you imported the textures from Fly!II. In the folder you will find mountain-forest-green.jpg and many other texture files in jpeg format. It is 953x953 pixels at 72 ppi, 226K. If I customize any of these, I output to a new jpeg of medium to high quality, trying to keep the size from 230-330K.A render pak will use only a few of the textures at a time, so maybe if you assign one of the other forest textures to a pak under a new name, you won't even need to edit a texture. On the Options menus, use the Load Render Options... and select the "Base Fly!2 Generic Textures (7.5 m/p)" Render Pak. Now use Options, Land Types (day)... to view the currently assigned textures and make changes if you wish. If you are going to make changes, I would use the Save Render Options... command on the options menu first and make a new render pak using the base render pak as a startup (now you won't damage the original base texture assignments). I would also resave your project so that it switches to your new render pak.Now, use the Land Types (day)... menu command and start checking out all of the texture assignments. On the left are all of the land-type categories that TS2 uses - on the right are the assigned texture for each. For instance, if you click on Forest-Evergreen on the left, you will note that the assigned texture is conifer-forest.jpg. You can view this and other textures in the TS2 by clicking the Select button. This is how you change texture assignments or assign new textures you might make to a new render pak. For instance, I can now select mountain-forest-green.jpg and make that the texture for the Forest-Evergreen land-type.Does this help?

Randall Rocke