Sign in to follow this  
Guest angels355

Fly! Legacy: Any news on progress?

Guest angels355

Hello,I was wondering if anyone has heard any news on the progress of Fly! Legacy? And also I was wondering what format it will run on?I'm guessing that it is written in opensource format, so will it run on Linux? And will it be ported to run on XP and Mac OSX or OSXI?Will it be a heavy application requiring a lot of computer resources? I am really looking forward to it. It would sure be cool if Rob Young could contribute a Learjet for it.Any screen shots from Fly! Legacy yet???Thank you in advance to all of the Fly! Legacy developers, your efforts are very much appreciated!!

Guest Chris Wallace

I have heard some scattered rumours, but I don't put much stock in them considering the source! :-)Progress is slow, but gradual. The new terrain system is being slowly rebuilt and optimized...some prototyping of the flight model and physics system is underway...Laurent has done a great job getting DLL plugins working.Currently the only platform under active development is Windows (should work on any version I think). Portability to Mac and Linux platforms is being kept in mind, but nobody is currently putting much time into maintaining compatibility for now.There is not a lot to show in screenshots right now, and visually things are still a step back from the shots already posted on the SourceForge project page (www.sf.net/projects/flylegacy). But the stuff "under the hood" is progressing slowly. As expected, with just a couple of active designers, all of whom have busy lives (blah, blah, blah...) things never move as quickly as we'd prefer. It would be great if we could get a flyable alpha version available this year, and maybe be able to show something at the next AVSIM convention...that's not a promise, just a goal.As usual, this forum is the best place to check for any news or announcements.Chris WallaceOttawa, Canada

Guest angels355

Thanks very much Chris, I appreciate it. It's going to be very exciting when it comes out.

Guest angels355

Hi guys!I thought I would check back to see what is the latest progress report on Fly! Legacy? I checked on the Fly! Legacy page listed above by Chris and it says that it is at 2-Pre-Alpha. Is that pretty basic? Is there any news on what it's going to be like, what default planes will be in it, and how the scenery looks? And will the flight dynamics be pretty good?I have to get Fly!2 there's no doubt about it, that's my next project. I just have Fly!2K right now.Here's a crazy question. I'm a big fan of Project Opensky aircraft, I don't suppose there would be any way to import POSKY's into Fly!Legacy? Proabably not, oh well!I hope there's going to be a primo Learjet in the default aircraft, and maybe big iron like a Boeing or Airbus? And I love King Airs.Windows is great, but it would be great if it could be Linux and Mac compatible also.

Hi all,Jean Sabatier is working hard on the Userinterface of Flylegacy. But it still would be fine to see some more developers contributing to Flylegacy.Harald

Guest angels355

It will be a great thrill when it comes out. Thanks to all the developers who contribute.

Hi all,Jean is implementing the GPS now and Laurent is programming the MAP-Window. So there is definitly some progress going on.Harald

Hello everyone!I just want to add my thanks to all you fantastic workers and developers who are keeping the greatest flight simulator alive. I'm looking forward to trying the new FLY Legacy as soon as possible.god bless,Earl

Guest angels355

Yes very exciting, and thank you very much developers for your efforts.I hope that Fly! Legacy will be portable to Windows, Linux, and Apple OSX. I would like to expand into Linux and maybe OSX.Thank you very much developers for your efforts.

Guest HeliFLYer

Hi Angels,don't be afraid changing to Linux. Fly! II is running very fine under Linux (OpenSUSE 10.2) and Wine with a nearly 2 years old PC (AMD Athlon 3700, 1 GB RAM, NVidea 6600 GT). It runs much smoother compared to the times when FLY! II was my first choice (now it is FlightGear) and I used an older PC and Win XP. Just try it and if you have difficulties, ask here. I am lurking regularly what is going on with FLY! II and especially FLY! legacy. I am also hoping that there will be a Linux version when an ALPHA/BETA is available. Otherwise there is a good chance that FLY! legacy *simulator* can be run under Wine like a lot of actual Win games (not that I would call FLY! a game!!!).A big thank you to the developers of FLY! legacyRegardsGeorg "HeliFLYer" EDDW

Guest angels355

Hi Georg,I think we have talked before. Thank you very much I will keep that in mind. I'm told that Ubuntu/Kubuntu are very nice, Mandriva also.

Guest angels355

Hi again guys!I think I've mentioned, I have been flying fly!2k for some time, and now just got fly!2! I really like it, it completely exceeds my expectations! I thought I would ask if there is any news on Fly! Legacy's progress?

Guest angels355

Hello everyone,What's the latest news on Fly! Legacy?

Guest Pardue802

Sadly I would assume that the developers realized that it was too big of a chore to tackle and have slowed down significantly. Shame really, there is a drought of good civilian Flight Simulators for platforms other than Windows. On OS X here... X-Plane has always felt kinda funky (not very intuitive, to be sure), and FlightGear is too cumbersome and behind the times.There's the classic If I Hada Million Dollars, I'd pay the contributors to work on Fly Legacy full time. So guys... when I win the lottery you're the first on my list!No news about there being any kind of resurrection of Fly! with a Fly! III, eh?I'm about to install a 500GB drive into my Macbook Pro, I guess maybe I'll just install Windows under boot camp, as icky as that seems.