Sign in to follow this  
Fall_guy

Aircraft Repaints/Texturing..............just curious

Hi Everyone.I was just wondering if anyone can give an explanation as to what causes that Metallic/Shiny image on the FLY aircraft?Ive attached a picture of a couple of Delta Repaints on Giogios B737 and MD82 Aircraft, and as you can see on the B737 (as of ALL FLY aircrft) I have this Metallic/Shiny finish..............but for some unknown reason the MD82 repaint is a nice matt finish and the overall repaint is much more realisic. (Hope you can see the difference in the attachment)Ive compared the Model files and Lod files of both aircraft and I can't see any difference in them. Just curious as to what part of the FLY program effects this.Or perhaps its something Giorgio has stumpled across while texturing the aircraft.Just CuriousJohn

G'day John,I think what you are refering to is "environment mapping" of the parts of an aircraft. Enter the Fly! II editor by clicking on Fly! II shortcut and holding down the key. If you load your aircraft into the keyframe editor and then select <5> "edit material properties" a box with all the parts of the aircraft will appear. Highlight the part you wish to modify and double click. A small box will appear with the properties that you can modify. Highlight the property you wish to modify and double clicking toggles the property on/off.WARNING: For MY AIRCRAFT ONLY, if you decide to modify. Because I am using TrueSpace and Chris Walace's converter, if a parent part has its "environment map" property set ON then Fly! II will crash as soon as you go to an outside view. I get around this limitation by setting the child parts "environment map" to ON but I must ensure to set theparent parts to OFF. DO NOT CLICK ON ANY BOX. ALWAYS CLICK If you click then you exit the box and the changes you made are discarded. Click and you exit the box keeping the changes you have made. A bug in the editor !!.When you exit the editor you will be prompted to save the aircraft and a new *.ACM and *.tif file is generated which will overwrite the intial version so save the intial version somewhere safe before modifying so that you can always revert back if you don't like your handiwork. :-)Have a go. You can't really do any harm and it will give you an insight into just what can be done to a models textures. With regard to your question about radios. Unfortunately my B737 manual grew legs and disappeared but all the Boeings I have managed to get info on have the on/off switch located on the RCP ( radio control panel ) where the frequencies are selected. There seems to be quite a few different versions , would you be able to post a pic of your B737-800 frequeny selection panel please.HF radio is used for long range voice communication. I don't see how that's applicable to Fly! II. Maybe Fly! II is calling the ADF as being high frequency, but the ADF is only a receiver, it transmits nothing.I'm not sure what frequency a transponder works on.VHF is basically line of sight and used for ATC and navigation aids ( VOR'S )Irrespective of type or use, as far as I can see they are all switched ON/OFF at the control panel.cheers,Roger

Hi Roger,Thanks for the Info..........I'll give it ago later, However when you mentioned Environment mapping......it suddenly rang a bell, so I launched FLY and was convinced I'd seen something somewhere about environment. Whell there it was in the scenery pulldown (I Think) Environment mapping!.What a difference to my repaints, All this time Ive been getting frustrated with that horrid shiny image all over my aircraft....................I could kick my self (Spend far to much time developing and not enough flying I Think).Anyhow heres a PIC so you can see the difference it makes.What would I do with-out you GuysThanks MateJohn

Guest Mats_Frisk

Fantastic painting/aircraft!!!!!Will it be "Fly-able" and if so when?Keep up the good work!Mats

G'day John,Glad you have sorted out "environment mapping". I agree it can at times be over the top. The beauty is that once you know how the end user can adjust what is and what isn't environment mapped.(Spend far to much time developing and not enough flying I Think).I know how you feel! :-lol Me too !! But there's more to simming than just flying :-)Your BMI B737- 800 aircraft looks gorgeous! Really something to look forward to - can't wait :-)Cheers,Roger edited for spelling.