Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bart

Howdy all

Guest andrewluck

Hi AllJust dropped in for a quick read of the forum and was pleasantly surprised to find this thread. Always nice to say hello to old aquaintances.No time for Flying! for some time now but I must dust off that joystick real soon.Andrew Luck18 miles SW EGSH

David,I continue to use InfoMETAR and love it, however, in the last couple of months it fails to download in a normal fashion from the NOAA server. The program makes 3 attempts to connect then times out and says the server isn't available.Do you think the NOAA has shut down the server, or might there be a different issue? With the advent of IE7 and other MS updates, I've had to make a lot of adjustments to gain access to a number of sites because of security issues. If you feel the issue is not with their server, then I'l take a little time to adjust my security settings and see if it will connect again.In the meantime, manual downloads from the NOAA continue to be importable into InfoMETAR and everything is working fine with that approach.

Randall Rocke

Hey David - long time no see! Well, you might still be surprised at what a few new items for the MAC Fly!ers could stir up. ;-) Personally, I'd prefer if we could port everything to a LINUX OS ... but that'd be a major dream-on factor, methinks. But good to see you AND also Andrew (waves across the pond!). Been going through some of the files trying to update my MLF files / static models, and low and behold, there was a few calls for Andrew's bridges from way back when. Having discovered I've lost several data CDs - and of course, happens to be the one(s) that had my static model folder(s) on them - so am back and scrambling to find all the podded models once again.I also guess now is the time to pass along to all of you - my Mother passed away back in mid-March at age 79. This has been the major reason I've not been checking the forums as of late. As our Social Security department decided they had to declare my father dead as well, I can tell you it has been one heck of a ride trying to get all that sorted and straightened out... Word of the wisened - anyone Stateside needing to deal with Social Security - do it in person, not over the phone. Will save a lot of headaches in the long haul. :-/Big greets and cheers to all once again!Ken Wood :-sun1Gateway 700X; Intel P4 2.4GHz; 512MB RAM; NVIDIA Ti4200 4X AGP 128MB; SB Audigy; Thrustmaster TopGun Fox 2 Pro Shock; WinXP Home

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

Hi friends,How are you all?Still very active in repainting but I am sorry to say , not for FLYII these days.As you all know, I am more interested in the paintwork itself and less interested in the actual flightsimming.The past six months I have been busy for Project Fokker Jetline.They asked me to join the team and do the initial paintings (all except for the Tame livery) for the Fokker F28 project.One of the most frequently downloaded freeware add-ons for flightsim ever.http://fokker.avsim.net/F28_screenshots.htmAlongside these activities I do a lot of councelling and advising in repainting on various websites.AND I am stil awaiting Fly Legacy.As Johnny always says " I`ll be back" I`ll be back too.Best regardsLeen "Flybike" de Jagerhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/171941.jpg

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

Guest DSandberg

Hi Ken! I don't have any version of Fly! for the Mac anyway, so it would be hard to write something tailored for it at this point. :) But you never know ... if I get some time and some ideas, you never know.My condolences on the passing of your mom. I wish I was surprised that the government managed to make a bad situation even a little worse, but I think that's in their job description somewhere.David Sandberg

Guest DSandberg

Hi Randall!Bummer ... I just checked, and it looks like ftp://weather.noaa.gov is indeed shut down. Or, more accurately, it was moved to a different URL: ftp://tgftp.nws.noaa.gov. I just looked at the latter, and the METAR cycle files seem to still be available at that address, in the same directory where they were found at the old address.I just pulled my old InfoMETAR project to see if maybe it would "just compile" under VS.NET 2003, which is the MS compiler I have installed at this point ... but no dice. Otherwise the path would be a simple change. If there's really any interest in having an InfoMETAR update just to address this issue (isn't everyone using Squawkbox now? :), I can try to find some time to do so, so let me know if you feel you could use such an update. (Actually, I'd change it so that the path can be user-specified, in case NWS moves it again in the future .. of course I can't protect against them changing the filename or data format standards, but at least URL changes could be handled.)David Sandberg

I must be an old timer now - as I still prefer infoMetar over everything else for my weather importation into Fly! II. With the change in URL I've had to go to getting the text data thru the ftp / browser and saving, then bring that into infoMetar for import into the sim. I for one would love to have the ability to change the URL in the future, but I am a dying breed, I guess!! LOL So I guess if you feel there is enough interest, terrific - but if not my work-around suffices.Cheers!Ken Wood :-sun1Gateway 700X; Intel P4 2.4GHz; 512MB RAM; NVIDIA Ti4200 4X AGP 128MB; SB Audigy; Thrustmaster TopGun Fox 2 Pro Shock

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

Aye - methinks you are right, for they certainly did do a terrific job on that item, David. Appreciate the condolences. Take care!Cheers,Ken Wood :-sun1Gateway 700X; Intel P4 2.4GHz; 512MB RAM; NVIDIA Ti4200 4X AGP 128MB; SB Audigy; Thrustmaster TopGun Fox 2 Pro Shock

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

Guest DSandberg

Strangely, even knowing that someone is still enjoying InfoMETAR (and especially when it is two of my most valued testers, since Randall is seemingly still using it as well) gives me a powerful urge to do something to resolve this download problem. :)

Yep - still use it whenever I Fly! I am looking forward to running Squawkbox in the future, but know it will take some time to get into - not something I have much of these days.As a former pilot (70s era), every addition and improvement from C4TO thru InfoMETAR has made the old juices flow. If you have the time for an update, great! If not, I'll continue to download the txt files.

Randall Rocke

Hi Alejandro,I think the answer is quiet simple.These airlines never flew with the Fokker F28.Strange enough some people are talking about the Fokker F28-0100.In fact the F28-0100 does not exist.The fokker F100 was developed from the F28 but in fact a different plane.The Fokker F28 always have the "eyebrow" cockpitwindows and jet engines.The Fokker F70/100 series have turbofans and no eyebrows.So the planes you`re talking about do/did not exist as far as I know.RegardsLeen de Jager

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

Guest Fly II Pilot

Guest richpress

Have been a bit of a traitor over the last couple of years using FS9. However I still fire up Fly2 from time to time as I still regard the 2D panels as the best. Regards to all,Richard