Sign in to follow this  
Guest 3cffts

Widescreen monitors

Guest 3cffts

Does anyone know if there is any way the new widescreen LCD monitors can be used to their full width with Fly! II? i.e. screens 1680 x 1050 pixels or wider?Cheers, Brian

G'day Brian,Have you tried setting the screen size in Fly.ini to 1680 x 1050That would at least enable the scenery to display full screen. All the panel views (except the front panel) are a different matter however as the default sizes are all standard CRT (4 x 3) sizes. However IF the front panel is larger than 1680 x 1050 then that also might work as well as the scenery.I haven't as yet tried it on an LCD monitor but make the following three changes to Fly.ini and check it out.gamePIXX=1680gamePIXY=1050askUserForGraphicSettings=0and see what happens. :-)If your LCD monitor supports 1680 x 1050 then I THINK it might work.Check the screen resolutions that the monitor supports.If you don't already have a widescreen monitor then please don't run off and buy one on the contents of this post. It's just speculation on my behalf. People have posted previously on difficulties setting up higher resolution screens with LCD.sCheers, Roger

Guest 3cffts

Hi Roger,I do have "askforgraphics=0" set in Fly.ini but when I set screen size to 1680 x 1050 on my CRT monitor Fly II will not load. I get a MS "send message" error popup. If I set Fly II to 1280 by 768 which seems to be almost widescreen (I do have that setting on my machine)... Fly II runs o.k.I suspect the reason my machine will not load Fly.ini at 1680 x 1050 is because my video card/CRT monitor does not have that setting.As you say, I certainly do not want to buy a LCD monitor without knowing in advance if FlyII will fill the screen. I would also like to know if, while it will work at that setting because it is the native resolution of the screen, ... will the screen also display when FlyII is set to other screen sizes.Maybe someone else will pick up on the forum with some first hand knowledge of the combination that I am contemplating.Cheers,Brian

G'day Brian,>>I do have "askforgraphics=0" set in Fly.ini but when I set>screen size to 1680 x 1050 on my CRT monitor Fly II will not>load. I get a MS "send message" error popup. If I set Fly II>to 1280 by 768 which seems to be almost widescreen (I do have>that setting on my machine)... Fly II runs o.k.>>I suspect the reason my machine will not load Fly.ini at 1680>x 1050 is because my video card/CRT monitor does not have that>setting.Yep that makes sense. You can only use a setting that both your video card and monitor are happy with.Just out of curiosity if your CRT monitor is 17" or higher then try and set the resolution to 1600 x 1200 or any lower setting just making sure you stick to the 4 x 3 format. I also have a 19" CRT monitor and have had Fly! II working at 1600 x 1200. I have just tested my 19" BENQ FP92E LCD monitor. The maximum resolution I can have is 1280 x 1024. Fly! II works on all of these resolutions... BUT.... the graphics problems I referred to previously do exist. The two attached pics show 1 ....the complete range of resolutions I have available and 2 ....Fly! II operating (full screen) at 400 x 300 resolution. (just a wee bit blocky in the graphics department :-) )>>As you say, I certainly do not want to buy a LCD monitor>without knowing in advance if FlyII will fill the screen. Fly! II WILL fill the screen no matter what resolution it is operating at. The amount of information will vary however depending upon the resolution. If you have a local corner computer shop then I would suggest you visit it and have the owner demonstrate all the resolution options of a wide screen LCD monitor. I>would also like to know if, while it will work at that setting>because it is the native resolution of the screen, ... will>the screen also display when FlyII is set to other screen>sizes.YES it will - provided the other resolutions you refer to are lower than the native resolutions. (at least that's how it works on my 19" LCD screen. ). What an LCD screen can't do is operate at a resolution HIGHER than its native resolution.>>Maybe someone else will pick up on the forum with some first>hand knowledge of the combination that I am contemplating.>There has to be someone in Fly! community using a wide screen LCD monitor. Could someone please confirm Since I already have an LCD monitor I am saving for an identical second monitor as I wish to utilise nvidia's nview feature for wide screen operation.( 2048 x 768 ) Cheers,Roger

Guest 3cffts

Hello Roger:I tried FlyII at 1600 x 1200 on my 19" Viewsonic monitor. It runs, but the bottom portion of the Fly image is not viewable. The image will not scroll down as far as it usually does. From what you say it does seem that Fly will run fine on a widescreen LCD monitor. I would be very interested to know how a double screen at 2048 x 768 works out! It sounds great! I agree with your setting of a pixel height of 768. It gives a good size to the instruments. 1260 x 768 appears to be an ideal setting .... does that seem like an ideal size for a 22" widescreen to you?And how about a 5 millisecond response time, do you know if that will avoid any blurring?Thanks for your thoughts. Cheers,Brian.

G'day Brian,As to what resolution you should run any monitor at, it all depends on personal preferences. The higher resolutions will display more information and thus require less scrolling but... as you note the instruments will be smaller and thus more difficult to read. 1260 x 768. By keeping the depth setting to 768 will ensure that all current default aircraft front instrument panels will work. - good idea! :-), but a few of the 3rd party panels ( eg. my Jabiru for one) will not as they have front panels less than 1260 pixels wide which means that a small strip of scenery will be displayed down the RH side of the screen. As I understand it you could still use 1024 x 768 (if video card and monitor permit) on a 22" widescreen although this may result in the instruments being slightly oval. My monitor is an 8 millisecond refresh rate and to my tired old eyes thats fine. I'm sure a 5 millisecond refresh rate would be fine. I wouldn't do a thing without actually seeing all this demonstrated at a store. Cheers,Roger

Guest 3cffts

Hi Roger:I tried a 22" widescreen monitor (Acer 2216WDB, 16:10 aspect ratio) with Fly II today. Although Fly would run at some settings that my video card allows (Radeon 9600XT) the results were not satifactory because. as you suggested, FlyII does fill the screen but the instruments were oval shaped and I did not get a wider view of the horizon as I hoped. At some of the settings above the basic FlyII setting of 1024 x 768 FlyII would not load fully.It appears that we can only hope that Fly Legacy will allow us to use these wide screens. I still think that FlyII is just great! I have FS-X but still prefer FlyII!Cheers,Brian.

G'day brian,If you are after a wider view of the scenery try reducing the zoom ratio. I typically fly with a ratio of 2.29 as I feel that approximates more normal angle of view but if you reduce this to 1.X (up to you how low) a much wider field of view is attainable.Maybe this will help.Cheers,Roger

Guest 3cffts

Hello Roger:Yes, I normally Fly with much about the same zoom ratio as you do. I find that to zoom the camera out further results in the VFR approach to the runway being too rapid to give a realistic time for lining up with the runway, particularly with the higher approach speeds of the Hawker or F-16. I was hoping that a "wide screen" would give as much as another 4" width of scenery, but at the normal zoom ratio. As it is I will just make do. I still find that FlyII has much more realistic flight characteristics than FS-X ...at least that is how it is on my computer.... and Terrascene scenery of the USA is fantastic! I have been having great fun doing VFR high speed map reading of a route that I have driven through the mountains!Cheers,Brian.

Guest staring.at.antares

I personaly have no problem running fly on a widescreen,it looks great as for the wiew outside,ut with the panels its a little bit worse,most of the side panels are only designed for the standard resolution-they dont look pracicaly as good as they would at normal setting.Although it doesnt deprive on ther functionality,anyone got some hint how to solve this? (eg some tweak to stretch the panel fullscreen even if it will be out of proportions?And allso to the subject of fly! - dont use anything else - this was my first sim I ever got when I was 13 for my birthday because we went to pick my present at the computer game store,and when i saw it i just went mad they had game of flying planes too(didnt know about msfs98 back then (I still have the box to remember the thrill Ihad when I came home started installing on a 200 mhz computer with a s3 graphics") I was crazy about planes...Then the flyII originaly dissapointment, but now I wouldnt change it for anthing else, although I tried - still today not surpassing the eye candy non realistic simulators from microsoft.Its just something I would call the fly! feel of flight - noone ever from the others came nowhere close to this as this great sim.yeah it just is this Fly! feeling.I would like to support this (dissapearing?) fly community (but really dont know how)...so great bow to you,since you enriched my flying expirience by all those add ons etc.Sorry to find that this marvelous thing slowly dies out (it seems to me as that) when it is not even its time.Funny I am such a fly fanatic but never wrote ever to this forum - but i thought its time.Just that all my hope goes to the fly legacy..I think its a pitty,think of fly as realy a sim for people that want more from all the aspects,not only a "arcade video game"...

Guest 3cffts

Hello Antares: This is great to hear that someone does have FlyII Running on a widescreen that they are happy with. What size and make/model widescreen are you using? And I take that the main panel view in Fly fills the entire widescreen and that the instruments are round in shape?I rarely use the side window views. I find that the map view gives a good guide to down-wind spacing from the runway and is also great for overhead forced landing patterns to the runway.... so there is little need to use the side views, but then the side views are handy for formation flying join-ups with circuit traffic!As you say FlyII is still a great sim!Brian.

Guest staring.at.antares

they say that actually the people flying only on sims,when they find themselves on their first flight in real,they only look in front gazing at the glareshield and their main problem is that they must learn to also make movements with their head to the sides cause they are just too used to look only at the screen infront(-: ;) In my best times I am using a hdtv (widescreen) conected to a widescreen notebook (Asus F3M)with resolution of 1280 X 800 (as I changed that in the Fly.ini).Maybe I am wrong but this is? considered as widescreen I would say?-The problem is that the overhead panels etc are just too small to fit this resolution - and since they dont stretch they only take up part of the screen,the rest filled with strange artifacts...But overall the panels are impressive (especialy on the lcd tv) in resolution greater other from the 1024 X 768 I must say,so I am happy.Have a nice day!

G'day ???,Welcome to the Fly! forums. It's always great to see new people posting.If you want to change the resolution then I recommend that you keep the same 4:3 aspect ratio. This will keep all the instruments circular. Of course your graphics card and monitor must support the new resolution you select.1024 x 768 is 4:3 ratio1280 x 1024 is 5:4 ratio and thus anything circular will be displayed as being oval.Does your card/monitor support 1280 x 960 which is 4:3 aspect ratio??There is no SIMPLE solution to enlarging the side views. It can be done but requires a detailed knowledge of the workings of Fly! II.A quicker (cheap and nasty) fix is to eliminate the interior side views completely which just leaves the scenery only for such views.This option is only valid for aircraft whose side views don't have any instruments/switches/controls. This can be achieved by editing out the side view references from the *.PIT file.If you have any questions don't hesitate to post.Chees,Roger